Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom was speaking to a friend of ours who has both PWDs and Havanese the other day, and she was saying she only uses plastic crates for small breed puppies because they can get their legs stuck in the wire and break them. Has anyone heard of this? I need multiple crates, because my pup will be coming to work with me, and was planning to have a plastic one in the office and wire at home. The one at home is the one he will be left in most often when I go out, otherwise he will almost always be supervised as I will be right there.

So do you think I should switch it up and have the plastic at home? To be honest, the only reason I wanted the wire at home is because it's easier to cover up... But I don't want to jeopardize my dog just to keep my place looking nicer!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
All of mine are wire. Very nice crates. The best for traveling.

One time Aoki got hers caught when I was opening the latch IT WAS AWFUL- she was extremely excited and pawing uncontrollably for me to get her out and she put her paw up at the time I went to open. She was OK and I never release them now until they are calm. It has not happened again. She was very young when it happened (5-6 months)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
All of mine are wire. Very nice crates. The best for traveling.

One time Aoki got hers caught when I was opening the latch IT WAS AWFUL- she was extremely excited and pawing uncontrollably for me to get her out and she put her paw up at the time I went to open. She was OK and I never release them now until they are calm. It has not happened again. She was very young when it happened (5-6 months)
Poor thing. Seems to me this could happen with the plastic crates too because they have the wire door. I think either one would be just fine.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Captain gets his paws stuck in the wire crate more often. That said we are conditioning him to a plastic crate for shipping, because he will need to be in one like that for when/if we move, plus he gets a bit more privacy from the kids in the plastic one. He prefers the plastic one, and will go into that one on his off times, than the wire one. Honestly, we have the wire crates for emergencies. It has to be collapsible to go into the car, if we'd ever have to evacuate, and stackable for the pet drop-off shelters.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Tate would... Well... Run dig in his plastic crate. You read that correctly, run dig. He would do that at full speed when he wanted out. It was ANNOYING. We got him a wire and it stopped. He also had a huge problem not being able to see, and would pull at the little "windows" of the plastic crate. Problem immediately solved with the wire.

He has, however, started biting his crate. He's just a brat, lol.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I just personally prefer a plastic crate for puppies. They cant get their legs caught, and they cant get their jaws caught either trying to bite and get out. It fully contains any puppy accidents. It makes them feel more secure. Easy to clean. Riley got a big wire crate when he was older, but i will get a plastic one for my puppy.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I like wire crates. Over the years my dogs have always barked/complained more in the plastic crates. The wire crates are easy to clean, good visibility, and fold up nicely for storage. And if Jasper were in a plastic crate he wouldn't be able to chew on the cat's paws when he lays on top of the crate :p.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have wire crates for my guys, but if I crate my dogs that are in coat, I prefer to use plastic, so that they cant rub their hair out.

between rescues and other dogs we have raised probably 30 dogs, of all different breeds, and I have never once had one even get their leg stuck, let alone break it. I have however heard of a dog getting their leg stuck in a chainlink fence, teeth stuck in a chainlink fence AND I have had them get teeth stuck in the door of the plastic crates.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have wire crates for my guys, but if I crate my dogs that are in coat, I prefer to use plastic, so that they cant rub their hair out.

between rescues and other dogs we have raised probably 30 dogs, of all different breeds, and I have never once had one even get their leg stuck, let alone break it. I have however heard of a dog getting their leg stuck in a chainlink fence, teeth stuck in a chainlink fence AND I have had them get teeth stuck in the door of the plastic crates.
I had a rescue get his teeth stuck on the door of a plastic crate too. Unfortunately he ended up breaking a tooth off. It required surgery to remove what remained of the tooth.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a rescue get his teeth stuck on the door of a plastic crate too. Unfortunately he ended up breaking a tooth off. It required surgery to remove what remained of the tooth.
Ack, why does that happen with the plastic and not the wire?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ack, why does that happen with the plastic and not the wire?
I don't know, maybe it's something with the bar spacing. This particular dog had noise/thunder issues and it was thundering that day. I'm not sure whether being so closed in was such a good idea for him in hindsight. (we tried many, many solutions for him.. long story) Luckily I had to return home for something so heard him crying :eek:hwell:.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have always used wire crates. And dogs ranging from 23-6 pounds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts