Poodle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frost and freeze is here, snow is on the way. Am considering an outdoor heated bowl but from the ones I’ve researched, none seem particularly great. One even said that should not place in the open outside. Kind of defeats the purpose lol! It probably means it needs to be in a barn or covered patio which I don’t have. Winston (spoo) gets most of his water intake outside and would like to keep it that way cause he has got to be THE messiest drinker. Honestly, puts his whole nose in and is like a waterfall when he lifts his head and looks around or walks away. I have a lumoleaf bowl in the house in the mudroom on tile floor which does help. Much less water pouring out of his mouth and only drips by time he gets to the wood floor but would still like to limit those times and having to mop up. Anyone use one they like and would suggest?

·
Registered
9,375 Posts
When it’s cold enough to freeze a bowl of water, your dog is probably not spending a long time outside. consider taking a bowl of water outside each time you both go outside. That way it will be room temperature and will take time before it freezes.

Indoors it might help to put a large tray under the lumoleaf bowl it will help contain some of the mess.

My daughter has special heated water containers for her horses so the water won’t freeze in the winter. They are huge, but her rough collie can drink from them. I would think most spoos would too.

·
Super Moderator
4,032 Posts
I agree that using a deep bucket as a water bowl helps a lot with the dribbling problem.

Since I have horses, I've used stock tank heaters. I think dealing with a stock tank is going to be more expensive, more of a hassle, and less of a solution than you really want. The electric bill can be spectacular once the temperature drops. The tank needs to be emptied, cleaned, and refilled even in cold weather. Finally, the top surface may skim over with a thin coat of ice in very cold weather. Horses have no trouble breaking the ice to get a drink; it's a little more difficult for a dog.

Given that you are in Canada, I don't think it is a great idea to leave Winston outside for long periods in winter. If you are out long enough for a bucket of water to freeze, it's probably past time for Winston to be back inside.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops, no need to be worried about Winston outdoors for long periods when below zero. To clarify, drinking outdoors is part of his routine when he is going out and coming back from doing his business. He will drink every single time. I’ve tried the deep pail indoors to no avail. It’s not that he splashes when drinking, it’s that he lifts his head, moves, looking left and right, nose back in, etc. resulting in the doggo waterfall. Lol.

Out here in Eastern Ontario Canada, he is very used to being out below freezing. No choice around here or he’d be housebound for months on end. He’ll do his business and gallop around our 1/2 acre yard, check out the smells that were left by overnight and early morning visitors almost every time for 5 -10 minutes (the colder it is, the shorter his romp around). Of course when we are out for an extended period of time, he’s decked out in appropriate winter attire.

OR we could just move closer to the equator. Problem solved 😀

Thx

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
They make heated water bowls for dogs. I don't know anyone who uses them, other than for chickens.

When we had outdoor dogs, we put out large mixing bowls of hot water in the evening and in the morning (there was also water inside the house that they had access to if we were home). More volume = slower to freeze. They'd usually be crusted over by morning/evening but it was part of the dog care routine. We also put hot water in their food to make them drink more.

For indoors, we used to use a goulash pot (huge stew pot designed to cook over an open fire that flares out). for one messy drinker, on top of a boot tray.

I suppose another option for indoors would be to keep the water very shallow so the dog can't drink much at once. But you'd end up refilling a lot.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have put down towels in strategic places around the water bowl. Works most of the time.

A friend once told a story about a standard poodle who disliked a particular person. One day when that person was visiting the poodle got a drink of water, held it in his mouth, then walked over to the person, rested his chin on the knee, and opened the mouth.

·
Super Moderator
12,136 Posts
I’ve tried the deep pail indoors to no avail. It’s not that he splashes when drinking, it’s that he lifts his head, moves, looking left and right, nose back in, etc. resulting in the doggo waterfall. Lol.
The key is to have a large enough, deep enough pail, that you barely have to fill it. You could do literally just an inch or two of water. In the time it takes him to lift his head out, most of the water will have dropped back into the pail.

·
Premium Member
10,408 Posts
Why can’t you bring out a fresh bowl of water, every time since it is part of his routine? Buck will drink out of rain puddles in the yard, but requires clean bowls and fresh water or he’s not touching it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OR we could just move closer to the equator. Problem solved
Lol I hear you, I am in northern AB. Livestock water is the only way to go, I have tried every heated dish both for dogs and birds and ALL of them freeze. I just put out fresh water for the birds daily and my dogs although they spend a lot of time outside they come in to drink. Kallik is only 5 months old and he loves his water and I may end up in the same situation as you later on haha!

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
I would be afraid his nose would get very dry and crack if he drinks outside when it’s really cold. And we know how cold it gets in Ontario. I would try to find a suitable for inside. The towel idea would work.

Also, maybe he would drink less at a time if he had constant access to water. He needs to have it during the night as well, and in the morning, before you get up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have freezing weather from now till spring and I have tried the heated dog bowls for water but found my dogs did not like to drink from them as the water is slightly warm. I just put some water outside when they go out and bring it back in as they don't usually stay outside long when I am home. If they have to stay outside longer they have a heated building to go into so have water in there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why can’t you bring out a fresh bowl of water, every time since it is part of his routine? Buck will drink out of rain puddles in the yard, but requires clean bowls and fresh water or he’s not touching it.
That would kind of be a pain. He goes out often. Unless we’re going out together to play, for a walk, etc. I just want to open the patio door and let him out/in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would be afraid his nose would get very dry and crack if he drinks outside when it’s really cold.
Hmm. Hadn’t thought of that but at same time don’t know if that would happen? He constantly puts his snout and whole head in the snow. Also likes to eat it. I guess can monitor to make sure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did end up ordering an outdoor bowl and will try it out. I just need easy. I read a lot of reviews from other dog owners and didn’t come across any dangers/issues. I will definitely keep an eye on Winston, make sure everything ok (no nose freezing, etc). Will report back and let you know how it works out. It wasn’t $ so no harm trying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts