Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our weather has already started to change and the leaves are beginning to fall, which has me thinking about the in/out door for the girls. They're starting to come in wet and bringing grit into the house and there really isn't enough room by the patio door to put two kennels. All spring and summer we've used this screen I purchased for 12.99 and it's great, works like a doggy door for pups and people, plus it's the only door Dolly has ever used. I decided to try another door just on the other side of the sun room where there is more room for a drying off area, but I'm now wondering if this is going to be a problem. Dolly doesn't let us know when she wants out, other than standing in front of a closed door until we see her. Neither does Abbey for that matter, I've tried the bell but neither have taken to it. I'm hesitant to ask for a bark but maybe that's what I'll have to try. Dolly was very easy to train with only two pee accidents ever when she was very young, but I'm concerned with the patio door being closed more often soon along with changing the in/out door it will be a problem. Any ideas or thought on this, what do others do? This is the cheap but great screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And this is the area I'm setting up, our second kennel is still at the lake so I've used an xpen to make room for them both for now

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Before Javelin we used that type of screen in nice weather. We loved that they could go in an out as they wanted without us having to be doormen for them. Last summer I wanted to have a bit more control over Javelin for ins and outs so I would know for sure when he had taken care of pottying and this summer I have just generally not wanted to have the three of them in the yard concocting stupid things to do. Do your girls have potty on command? That might help. If the housebreaking is really reliable then potty on command takes some of the worry out of whether somebody has to go without you knowing about it.

Reactions: Caddy

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they do potty on command which is good, think I will have to be very diligent when we put the screen away. We got one of those screens as a temporary measure while the original was being repair (Abbey ran right through it), but loved the convenience of it so much we left it up.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
My garden is not secure, so the dogs are never out unattended. We manage by a combination of routine, toiletting on command, and attention to sometimes quite subtle signals. It helps if you are sensitive to eyes staring at the back of your head...

Reactions: Caddy

·
Registered
335 Posts
Have you researched automatic door openers? There might possibly be something there to answer your question.

Because my dogs are little (a large bird could fly off with one) I have to use a tether at the door or go out with them on a leash. Even then, large exuberant dogs have been known to occasionally visit, coming right up to my front door.

If I had a large dog I'd just let him/her out at specified times in the fenced back yard, unless I were to put in a doggy door, or use an automatic door opener which would necessitate removing the screen door. However where I live, I wouldn't feel safe with either of the later two ideas.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never seen the automatic doors for residential use, but what a horror that would be at -30. I can certainly understand you not letting your little guys out by themselves, I didn't let Dolly out alone until she was over 20 lbs. DH thought I was silly but better safe than sorry, especially as we live on an acreage.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Our dogs stand by the door if they want to go out. Otherwise, I let them out a few times a day when I remember. It works for us! With wet weather or when they have dirty paws, I wipe their paws as soon as they walk in. We have a Dirty Dog Doormat that they stand on when they walk in the house for paw wiping.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
My son bought those "Dirty Dog Doormats" and they work wonderfully! They really trap the grit and dirt that the dogs carry in on their wet feet..................he has wood floors!
They also keep a basket next to the door with towels and a brush cuz these are retrievers that shed like crazy!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
We just ask ours; "do you want to go outside?" If they act excited or go to the door, we let them out. We have a towel at the back door and we have taught them to dash inside and sit on the towel for a minute before being released, after they've been out. It helps a lot!! Most of the summer we didn't need a towel because it was dry and hot, but we still kept up the routine of asking them to sit just inside the door so that during mud season, we can put the towel back there. I like a towel because I can just chuck it in the wash and put down a clean one a couple of times a day.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
All 3 of my dogs' cues that they have to go out is them going to the backdoor. They are usually smart enough that they only go far enough that they can still see me so they can watch to see if I'm coming. I didn't teach a cue that's just something that they all just do on their own. I also can use the 'do you have to go potty?' on my older dog and he'll get excited if he has to go, and stays relaxed if he doesn't. Haven't tried it as much with my younger dogs because when I think it LOOKS like they have to go out I let them out.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds like my two aren't different in the sense that their only sign is to stand by the door. Charismatic & Molly, is the dirty dog Matt an actual special Matt, or just any old Matt? Those lazy days of summer with the convenient screen may not have been the best idea. Last winter Abbey got use to going directly into her kennel when coming in, but I let that slide over the summer, my mistake. I like the idea of the towel at the door poodlemanic, like you said, so easy to just wash. I'm thinking I could put a towel on the matt, to save the matt and stop the towel from moving. Hmmmm.... I may change everything back to the way it was, that would make DH very happy.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I do the same at the front door, instead of a mat, in the winter. I hate clumsy ugly door mats that are hard to clean; a towel so easily blots up water from melted snow, and into the wash it goes.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Very interesting read....
It brings up an important issue for us as well!

In the winter our sliding patio door is frozen shut and unable to slide!
Currently that is how Toby gets out to take care of his business!

We are going to have to address this. Thanks to your question Caddy it is an issue that is now on our radar!!

I think a dark colored bath mat might work by a door. :) I have one I use that matches the colors of our kitchen flooring. :)

The link below in my signature is Toby swinging on his swing. I never get tired of watching this. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
760 Posts
I had a very large Water Hog mat by my back door. It wasn't the prettiest rug ever, but they did make some nice colors and patterns and it worked wonderfully to absorb water. The Dirty Dog mats work great too, but the largest size was not big enough for a Dane to come in and stand on while I close the door without feet being off the mat. Not a problem for a spoo though, I bet the biggest size would work great and they're really nice :) I trained my dogs to come in and stand on the mat and wait for me to dry off their feet. I had a little wall shelf with hooks by the door and hung brown towels there for cleaning dog feet. That worked well for me. My property was low and often flooded in the spring or in heavy rain, so I would frequently have to wipe off 8 giant feet (and often bellies and backs and sometimes the entire dog!). Having that giant mat and towels by the door was a life saver! Those screens and dog doors look amazing, but my lawn was wet and muddy often enough that it was never practical for me. I would have had muddy floors 24/7, plus some idiot put white carpet in the formal living room I bought the house, so it would have been brown pretty quickly.

Asaah doesn't really have much of a signal for going out - she used to walk to the patio door and back to me, but now that we're living elsewhere, she doesn't do that :( I just let her out multiple times a day.

Myleen, we had some kind of lube or something that we put in the track of our patio door that kept it sliding easily and it rarely froze shut. If it did, it was only enough that a firm push would open it. Of course I can't remember what exactly it was, but if I do I'll post it here. Maybe Google will tell you the answer before I remember it :)

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Myleen a bath matt is a really good idea too, washable and some are none slip. You are the third person to mention dirty dog matts oshagcj914, I'll have to google them. Omg white carpet anywhere would drive me nuts!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Thank you oshagcj914! I will do just that and goodle for the lube you speak of. Thanks!! I do not think I would like it if my back yard was full of water so much. In fact many years ago our back yard would turn into a pond when it rained ....ducks actually came and swam in the water!! My husband had PVC pipes put under the earth from the back to the front towards the sewer grate to take care of the problem along with more soil. :)

No way would I have white carpet! Ouch! Unless of course we flew above it!hahahahaha!! That has to be a chore keeping clean!!

Of course one could put another small rug over any spots! hahahahaha! JK!!

OK, don't mind me...I'm in a very jovial mood today. Can't help myself!:laugh::laugh:

I am not sure where I learned it but from the moment I brought Toby home I said "hurry up" In a pleasant higher tone to Toby. I never stopped and to this day many times he will go potty on command when I say it to him. :)

So to who ever gave me the idea, THANKS!!! Pretty sure I read it here first somewhere on this forum! :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thank you oshagcj914! I will do just that and goodle for the lube you speak of. Thanks!! I do not think I would like it if my back yard was full of water so much. In fact many years ago our back yard would turn into a pond when it rained ....ducks actually came and swam in the water!! My husband had PVC pipes put under the earth from the back to the front towards the sewer grate to take care of the problem along with more soil. :)

No way would I have white carpet! Ouch! Unless of course we flew above it!hahahahaha!! That has to be a chore keeping clean!!

Of course one could put another small rug over any spots! hahahahaha! JK!!

OK, don't mind me...I'm in a very jovial mood today. Can't help myself!:laugh::laugh:

I am not sure where I learned it but from the moment I brought Toby home I said "hurry up" In a pleasant higher tone to Toby. I never stopped and to this day many times he will go potty on command when I say it to him. :)

So to who ever gave me the idea, THANKS!!! Pretty sure I read it here first somewhere on this forum! :)
Here's a link for the dirty dog mats: https://www.chewy.com/dog-gone-smart-dirty-dog-doormat/dp/119728

And the waterhog mats: https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Waterhog-Fashion-Polypropylene-Entrance/dp/B008BW6LIE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_196_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B74WV8GGY65QJWP36DWR

Yeah, the white carpet is awful, I don't know what those people were thinking. It's only in the office, not the living room, although that carpet is also light. It does look amazing with the deep purple/grey walls and white ceiling and crown molding....but only if you never ever walk on it :) And my yard also turned into a pond every spring. We didn't have ducks, but we did have visiting herons :) The plan was to put in some French drains or something to fix that issue once my ex was done with school, but then we got divorced and I'm selling the house now, so I guess the next people will have to do that.

image.jpg

·
Registered
445 Posts
Isn't that funny, we had off white carpets in the last house we lived in, while all our children were small. We owned a carpet cleaner, and I was always steam-cleaning those carpets. What were people thinking, installing all that white carpeting in new houses?? Now we have all hardwood and tile...SO much easier to deal with!! I would never want carpets again...it's hardwood and area rugs for this chick from now on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts