Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still haven’t purchased a coat for my 3 yo spoo, though I’ve researched the topic. We have a nosework trial this weekend, entered in containers and exteriors. Lows are expected at 30 F and below so this might be an opportunity to invest in a coat before the next polar vortex.

A wirecutter review of best dog coats recommended the Weather Beeta 300D Deluxe Reflective Parka. At around $40 it seems like a bargain. The only disadvantage may be that it wraps around the belly and with boys, well, you know the story. There could be laundering involved.

Does anyone have experience with it? Does it fit a normally proportioned spoo? (He’s a slim 27”.) Are there any other brands that you like?

The same review recommended all-weather Mutt Luks. Any tips on sizing? These could be purchased locally. No snow expected yet but a near term purchase would allow time for my dog to get used to them.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Reactions: scooterscout99

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see it for 29.95$ at Statelinetack. I don’t own this coat. It has one feature that I prefer in a dog coat... it is designed like a horse blanket so it’s easy to put on.
https://www.statelinetack.com/item/wb-reflective-parka-300d-deluxe-lite-dog-coat/E020559 14 ORG/?srccode=GPSLT&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIneLf_Py73gIVxB6GCh0ajgboEAQYBSABEgJuUvD_BwE
Slightly different product, lightweight versus medium weight, though the photo is the same. Neither model specifies a temperature rating such as “good to 20 below zero.” I’m not even sure what amount of fill is needed, as my dog has a good internal heater.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm no expert and certainly haven't been through a winter with my little guy but, being that I'm enjoying playing games in the backyard with him everyday, I got two "snow suits". The waterproof one covers full leg and is by Hurtta. I got it with a discount code from Baxterboo when everything was 40% off in addition so a $117 rain/snow suit, full body, ended up to be $56. I also got the Snow Jam fleece jump suit for $27. It's lighter weight, has ribbed cuffs that can be rolled up etc. Love both. Just wanted to prevent snow balls in his leg fur and more opportunity for him to play outside in cold weather.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Sorry I didn’t realize they had two different coats.

I have two coats from Hurtta, although not the one the one Charleeann67 has. I have their older style winter coat without leg coverage which is wind proof material lined with fleece and a similar coat for the rain. I’m very impressed with the quality of the Hurtta coats. I may buy this one although that price is dear.

I forgot to mention I bought a Muttluks coat for Babykins who is a nice and square minipoo. The legs weren’t long enough to cover her pompoms. The fabric was very stiff and difficult for her to move in. Of all the coats I’ve tried, this is the one I most disliked because of the stiffness and it didn’t cover the area I most wanted protected from snow (pompoms). It was well made, no quibbles about the quality of construction. This is the only coat I bought and returned. I know LilyCD has them for her dogs and recommends them but her dogs are standards and mine is a minipoo so I’m not sure if that makes a difference.

I don’t know about your dog, but mine doesn’t like wearing coats although I’ve done lots of training with treats to get her used to wearing them. She does wear them when it’s raining heavily or cold. But she still doesn’t like them. I’ve noticed when she has a coat on she doesn’t want to move the way she normally does. For example she normally sits by the front door. Our routine is she sits by the front door while I open it and she is not allowed to get up and go out the door unless I give her the release word “free”. When she’s wearing a coat she doesn’t want to sit and is antsy like she’s uncomfortable. She moves stiffly. Doesn’t matter which coat she has one whether it’s a knit sweater or a soft flexible fleece or a stiffer quilted fabric. I mention this because putting a coat on a dog not used to it might distract and diminish his ability to compete in nose work.

Reactions: scooterscout99

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s a good point about how he might react. He doesn’t like wearing a snood for supper time (has super long ears now).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Rudy is a "square" minipoo also. The fleece SnoJam is really nice, in my humble opinion. The long ribbed cuffs can be rolled or not, depending on how long your pup's legs are. Thankfully Rudy could care less if it is raining. I put it on him to keep him from turning into a curly mess. When he wore it the other day he "zoomied" like usual etc. with no noted restriction of movement. Just wondering what this spring born baby is going to think of winter.
While we are on this topic, how about boots? Anyone had any luck with that? It just doesn't make sense to protect them and then not protect their beautiful feet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts