Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An update on Leeroy! (Little side bar) We found out he was born on May 31, 2017. Lots of drama surrounding his previous 2 owners. We did get him fully turned over to our family, the microchip transferred, and got him neutered a couple weeks ago (there was breeding drama and I wanted it to stop).. and he hasn't submissive peed in weeks. He's been with us for 2 months now. The only time he wet recently was when we had to give him another bath.. only his second one after we adopted him, and I think he was manhandled with baths in the past so he's still frightened.

Anyway he's also bonding with my husband really well. That's a big deal. Leeroy is normally afraid of men.

SO... we are slowly approaching the colder winter here. Not the coldest by far but humid so it's uncomfortable. I take him for one or two walks daily just to get out and we have him go out into the yard to go to the bathroom... We also play fetch with him once a day lately while the snow isn't deep yet.

The past week he has been antsy. If we're not giving him attention every second he gets up and wanders around like he's bored. He's also getting a little more bold with the cats. I can tell he just wants to play. But still. He has half a dozen chew bones in different flavors, a peekaboo squirrel log, stuffed squeak toys, 2 fetch balls, a tug rope, and I try to give him Kongs once in a while especially at dinner. He has destroyed some of his chew toys and stuffed toys already, and he goes through Kongs incredibly quickly. We also have a snuffle mat but he gets bored fast. We don't have space for an agility course indoors and don't really have that kind of stuff here where we live in general.

We're home 24/7 but I'm just kind of exhausted. I'm doing my best. I try to train him as much as I can for general impulse control and listening, also stay commands, (all short bursts since he gets distracted quickly) but the more confident he gets the more restless he is. I'm happy that his confidence is shining, but he wears me out some days. I have anxiety so it can get to be a little much.

I still don't have him playing with the dog across the street. Had to stop that a month ago or so due to her being way too hyper and making him completely wild. He still pouts about that sometimes. Especially over the past week.

He does still jump around when he's excited... I don't mind... His biting still gets a little out of control when he's getting playful. We're trying to work on that. But he's adorable out in the snow especially. He's hilarious and has a fun personality.

Would love some advice. Sometimes I just go into my bedroom and have him get on the bed with me to snuggle while I read or something like that... Seems to help.

We love him dearly. He's such a loveable teenage stinker lol!

PS - one of our two cats has really grown closer with him. She lays near him quite often.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
Get Leeroy a flirt pole. (They should come with every poodle!) That will drain some energy inside and save yours. I used the chance of playing with the fp as a training opportunity. Sit, stay, bring out the pole, and FREE!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get Leeroy a flirt pole. (They should come with every poodle!) That will drain some energy inside and save yours. I used the chance of playing with the fp as a training opportunity. Sit, stay, bring out the pole, and FREE!
Oh gosh yes I keep forgetting about those. I meant to get one when I got paid. I think it would help with his impulse to chase the cats too.

I also went back and re-read the 'stop walking your dog' article shared in these forums. I'm going to work more on mat resting exercises and stricter kong rules, etc. Also loose leash walking. Not so much the walking and fetch as those ironically have been getting him more riled up.

Leeroy is MUCH farther along than when we first adopted him... He's already a totally different dog. Just a funky goof of a teenager lol!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
The relax on a mat exercise was a game changer for me and Poppy as she would go non stop from 6 AM until my bedtime without even a nap. That exercise taught her to self settle and it has been invaluable.

In cold nasty weather I am afraid of slipping and falling, I am nearly 70 yrs old and would not recover well from a fall, soooooo........in nasty weather we hop in the car and go to Lowes or Home Depot and walk up and down the aisles and practice sit stays, down stays and practice not reacting to fork lifts, reach trucks and noisy things going on in The store.

We also practice calm greetings with employees and customers who wish to interact. She must sit upon greeting and I hand over a small treat of my choice for the other person to give to her. This avoids her getting some unhealthy dog treats that the store supplies. The store employees are kind and welcoming and it has been good for Poppy's often very exuberant social skills. Poppy is usually ready for a nap when we return home.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The relax on a mat exercise was a game changer for me and Poppy as she would go non stop from 6 AM until my bedtime without even a nap. That exercise taught her to self settle and it has been invaluable.

In cold nasty weather I am afraid of slipping and falling, I am nearly 70 yrs old and would not recover well from a fall, soooooo........in nasty weather we hop in the car and go to Lowes or Home Depot and walk up and down the aisles and practice sit stays, down stays and practice not reacting to fork lifts, reach trucks and noisy things going on in The store.

We also practice calm greetings with employees and customers who wish to interact. She must sit upon greeting and I hand over a small treat of my choice for the other person to give to her. This avoids her getting some unhealthy dog treats that the store supplies. The store employees are kind and welcoming and it has been good for Poppy's often very exuberant social skills. Poppy is usually ready for a nap when we return home.
What a sweet idea. We have both Lowe's and Home Depot, I'd love to do that. Easy, too. Our winters here can get to -30 during the day. So it's tricky.

I found the relax on a mat exercise PDF but it seems to be missing some pages or something. I think I get the jist of it. We have a crate for Leeroy that he loves plus 2 pillows and a blanket outside of the crate so I'm not sure which to use for that! I know it's different than teaching him to go into his bed. I need to teach him to relax on his own.

It's also hard to fit in a lot of training but I'm doing my best.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
It sounds like you are making great progress. I know it is exhausting, but it will be worth it. I second both Mfmst's suggestion of the flirt pole which will scrub a lot of energy off, but can be a great impulse control training tool if you periodically take control of it and have him to a sit or down stay to be allowed to play again. Make the sit or down stay last long enough that he gives you a calming signal like relaxed ears, eyes, a sigh or if on a down a shift from a sphinx type down to lay over on his hip. then play some more and repeat. I also give thumbs up to VQ's calm greetings routine and yes I bring my own treats when I do this so they don't get fed junky stuff.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
In addition to what has been said, I would advise not to give him attention every time he asks for it. Dogs need to be able to entertain themselves and not depend on human interaction every second of the day.

Just do what you have to do (read, watch tv or whatever) and let him be bored. He will eventually find stuff to do, even if just looking out the window or take a nap. Just make sure he doesn’t get into mischief, but other than that just let him be.

If he hasn’t been groomed a lot, it would be a good idea to have his face shaved. You never know when you will need it and the older the dog, the harder to get them to accept having their face (and feet) touched.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you both!

Yes, I've made a solid decision to work hard on having him get used to our queues and schedule, not the other way around. I started this yesterday after reading some articles. For example, when I sit in my rocking chair, he will often demand attention by putting his paws up on my chest (rather forcefully, almost shoving me out of the chair) or shoving his nose under my arm until I pet him.

It was cute at times but other times it felt rude because I could have something in my lap, including a cat, and he'd get rather demanding.

So yesterday after making this post I started to move my arm when he does that, rather than letting him force my arm into petting him. I also tell him 'down' when he gets up on me like that in the chair. I then say 'sit' and when he sits I give him praise and some attention. Not endless though. I make sure to stop after a bit. I also make sure to praise him and pet him when he decides to lay down and rest on his own, or if he's sitting calmly when we're doing something like making dinner.

It's hard, because the nose trick with my arm was cute... But it was becoming a really bad habit.

We'd already been doing some training work before this so it helps! He does find time to rest on his own, not on the same places but he does do it. I just need to be more consistent about teaching him to find ways to keep himself busy rather than relying on me. I've kind of been his anchor and main comfort since we adopted him. It shows.

I'm also doing crate training. I'd thought he would be terrified of a crate but he actually loves one. We have him in it at night or when we leave and he's a champ about it. I just need to work on helping him be calm when he sees me approaching his crate door to let him out in the morning.

Again thank you for the help. Yes I hope to collect a flirt pole too, as soon as we can!

·
Registered
596 Posts
For immense brain training - try beginner tracking - AKC style. This is something you can do completely by yourself. Doesn't have to take a long time - you don't need too much space at the beginning - any open parking lot will do - and you would not believe who knackered they are even after running two tracks. The dog is leashed at all times and feels pretty much in charge (since they have the nose and you don't) for some dogs this is the ultimate reward. I have friends who do both agility and tracking - and the enthusiasm when the tracking gear comes out is off the charts.
For my dogs half hour tracking was equal or greater to 2 hours running.
BTW in the snow it's even more fun - because it is easier for you to lay tracks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For immense brain training - try beginner tracking - AKC style. This is something you can do completely by yourself. Doesn't have to take a long time - you don't need too much space at the beginning - any open parking lot will do - and you would not believe who knackered they are even after running two tracks. The dog is leashed at all times and feels pretty much in charge (since they have the nose and you don't) for some dogs this is the ultimate reward. I have friends who do both agility and tracking - and the enthusiasm when the tracking gear comes out is off the charts.
For my dogs half hour tracking was equal or greater to 2 hours running.
BTW in the snow it's even more fun - because it is easier for you to lay tracks!
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll have to look up tracking training!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts