Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading previous posts about poodles being sock stealers made me laugh and now Winnie has turned into one. She sneaks upstairs and jumps up on to the bed to steal my freshly laundered socks and then parades around the house with them in her mouth before settling them down somewhere for me to find. Luckily she never chews them. She just carries, sniffs and dumps them. Its so funny. What other funny poodle traits could I be in store for?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Well mine would swallow them immediately upon picking them up. We try very hard to put all dirty socks into a mesh laundry bag and put away the clean one immediately so he doesn't get them. Whatever you do don't chase them as they will swallow the sock or whatever it is they chave stolen. Its better to distract them with a different toy and then get the item when they are busy with the distraction.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well mine would swallow them immediately upon picking them up. We try very hard to put all dirty socks into a mesh laundry bag and put away the clean one immediately so he doesn't get them. Whatever you do don't chase them as they will swallow the sock or whatever it is they chave stolen. Its better to distract them with a different toy and then get the item when they are busy with the distraction.
She can't get into the dirty laundry basket so she just waits for them to come out clean and rolled into a sock bundle. I never chase her as she doesn't do anything with it so I just leave it and when she has paraded around with them she dumps them and I pick them back up. She never tries to eat them or break them, she just likes to hold them. She is not much of a chewer unless the item is food.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have trained Bobby to carry my sock balls for me every morning. 😉 It actually has become a great training ritual for him. He’s not one to swallow or destroy non food items. He definitely likes stealing games though. He has a real liking for pens. I have to be on top of that as I definitely am concerned he could accidentally swallow one. I never chase as chasing means “Game On” for Bobby. We either do a “Switch” or a “Drop It” with a treat reward if I forget to put a pen away. He has me trained, I know, but I always think every rewarded “Drop It” will solidify that command until it is automatic. He’s actually pretty good with it and on our walks, when he decides to scoop something up, I don’t always have to reward the “Drop It.” 😊
Unfortunately, his beloved pens are super high value so he needs a reward of some sort before he will let it go. I just keep it all calm with the hopes that some day pens won’t mean so much to him.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Annie LOVES socks. She knows socks go on my feet before walks and are therefore high value. I have taught her to carry my socks from my room to the hall and then hand me them when I sit down. She LOVES this job.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We live by the rule of thumb that if it isn't nailed down it will wind up in Dublin's mouth. We learned the hard way that if we go after him (chase him) he does two things: he submissive pees while he runs away from us and he stops carrying it around and tries to swallow it whole.

So instead, if we see he has something we ignore it and go get a "cookie". He drops whatever he has pretty fast if we trade it for a treat. Kiley, or Schnauzer/Poodle mix, on the other hand, was a terrier through-and-through in that regard - if she had something she shouldn't then she WOULD take your finger off if you tried to get it back. There was no "trade" with her and she was a master at finding stuff to steal.

I am a messy person by nature (oops) so it took me a while to learn to keep things clear of Dublin's reach, especially since i also had to get used to a dog that could reach the kitchen counters. Occasionally i forget and he gets a hold of something, but nothing that's "dangerous".

So far he's picked up all sorts of laundry, the coasters off the coffee table, any folded fabric (fleece blankets), the mail, anything paper (including the CGC welcome packet when we started that training and his vet bills if i leave them out), measuring cups..... i even have to leave tissue boxes out of reach because he'll randomly "notice" the tissues and think it's a fun game to pull them all out.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Wait til Winnie goes after underwear. 🤣

Practice trade games... you give me back my socks and I’ll trade for a better treat like a special toy or food treat.

try to be diligent about keeping all these things like socks, pens, shoes away from him so he doesn’t learn to see these a fun, high value items. As others said, never chase, never make it a more fun game.

Reactions: WinnieThePoodle

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wait til Winnie goes after underwear. 🤣

Practice trade games... you give me back my socks and I’ll trade for a better treat like a special toy or food treat.

try to be diligent about keeping all these things like socks, pens, shoes away from him so he doesn’t learn to see these a fun, high value items. As others said, never chase, never make it a more fun game.
Winnie has 3 words that will make her immediately drop anything in her mouth. Sprat, cheese and flirt pole (OK technically 4 words)

·
Registered
264 Posts
My son sheds socks throughout the house and the poodles loves it. Also facemasks are fantastic chew toys. Someone is going to be sad when this awful time has ended.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine not only loved socks but oddly dishtowels! So much so that they were always taken in secret and hid. Her funniest hiding spots were behind pillows. Somehow she would move the large couch throw pillows, stuff socks deep into the cushion and move the pillow BACK!
We always wished we would have been able to film her doing it.
For our new fur baby I'm going to get an indoor camera😁

·
Registered
152 Posts
Topper loves to steal face masks, paper towels and tissues (new or used). Oh and gloves. The other day I draped my jacket over a chair to dry out after a rainy day walk, and Topper stuck his lovely snoot in one of the pockets to liberate a glove. I'm still looking for one of my face masks. We usually just let him have tissues and paper towels. He just shreds them instead of eating them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Since he was 4.5 months, Whiskey steals food off the counter and table. Even after 2 months, the family is still getting used to a dog who can reach the table 🤣
Rather than socks, Whiskey loves plastic bottles that crinkle. Those are hard to ‘switch’ out for him, doesn’t even do it for his treats.
And he loves the bathroom mats we have around the house. He’ll sneak up to them like he’s a lion on a hunt, then drag them to a corner to play with 🤷🏻‍♀️
Edit: He also learned how to open our step-bin to steal USED tissues and masks...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since he was 4.5 months, Whiskey steals food off the counter and table. Even after 2 months, the family is still getting used to a dog who can reach the table 🤣
Rather than socks, Whiskey loves plastic bottles that crinkle. Those are hard to ‘switch’ out for him, doesn’t even do it for his treats.
And he loves the bathroom mats we have around the house. He’ll sneak up to them like he’s a lion on a hunt, then drag them to a corner to play with 🤷🏻‍♀️
Edit: He also learned how to open our step-bin to steal USED tissues and masks...
Winnie's favourite thing in the world used to be plastic crinkly bottles, and she did used to steal them if they were left around. She's not that fussed about them now. Guess it's a sign that my baby is growing up. 🥰 She doesn't go for masks but you have reminded me that she always tries to stick her snout in to my husbands pocket to steal his tissue. Funnily enough she doesn't go for my tissue only his. Must be a particular smell he has. He calls her his pickpocket :LOL:. Yesterday she brought 3 socks to me. I think she has a feet-ish.

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Galen loves shoes and slippers. Unfortunately my closet door is broken, and so he destroyed several pairs before I got smart and moved the rest of my shoes to higher ground. He didn't chew the shoes themselves. He merely removed and shredded the inner soles. This selectivity is still cold comfort. Shoes are pretty much unwearable without the footbeds designed for the shoe.

·
Premium Member
10,015 Posts
Buck is a master criminal. Fortunately, he doesn’t swallow what he steals. Reading glasses are a favorite, pens, money and documents. Our will, a passport... He graduated from Kleenex long ago, but it was a “thing” for a bit. He’s an expert counter surfer, so we remain vigilant on his reach.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts