Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Willow I think just got her first heat. There was the tiniest amount of blood on the blanket this morning.(the size of a quarter) She was sitting on the ground with her legs spread all strange smelling herself. I went and bought her the fabric washable diaper and put a panty liner in it. I’m pretty nervous a dogs going to go after her. We have a fenced yard.
One question I have is; do I need to keep her in a diaper?
Any other tips and tricks would be great. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
330 Posts
While I haven’t gone through this myself before, that sounds like a heat. A diaper is probably going to be the best at keeping blood from going everywhere; while there shouldn’t be too much, it can get messy, and you definitely don’t want her constantly licking herself in that area and giving herself an infection. Make sure you don’t leave her in the fenced yard unleashed and alone. Boy dogs have no concept of this thing we call ‘fencing’, and you’ll soon have an accidental litter on your hands or worse. I’ve heard of dogs mating through fencing before, so make sure to stay away from the sides.

·
Registered
699 Posts
About the diaper, Evie is on her third I think heat. The first one was what is called a silent heat which is were they either do not bleed or they keep themselves clean. If they are not having a silent heat then they tend to spread-spray blood on the ground, walls, curtains, etc. This is in my experience not sure about anyone else's. So, if it were me I would keep a diaper on her. About other dogs, just do not leave her alone, keep her on a leash outside and probably inside, and you should be fine. If you go out walking I would carry a walking stick or if it is legal pepper or mace spray. That should take care of the issue with other dogs.
A warning about licking, Evie licks obsessively especially with a diaper on. She has managed to give herself a three inch square circle without any hair that is raw and bleeding. If you catch them licking put pants on them ASAP and probably a shirt or a cone. You do not want to end up with something like Evie has. She managed to do this even with a diaper on. So, watch carefully.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't usually spay my girls. Long story, but I never keep them in diapers. we have a dog blanket and it comes out while they're in heat. we move it from sofa to bed, etc. We teach them their blanket. I think the only time I'd use the diaper is if I had males in the home or if i had white carpet. my girls are toys sooo maybe if I had larger girls I'd probably use it to protect furnishings but the toys don't bleed much at all. I'd say if she's out just keep a good eye on her and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the tips so far! I have her in the diaper and just went out in the yard with her and she wanted to poop in her usual spot with it on. Oh what a mess that would have made!! She doesn’t understand the diaper haha
It sounds like I should keep it on her. The neighbor dog is female and won’t stop barking...is that normal?
I haven't groomed her sanitary in a few weeks so it’s pretty long. Is it okay to give her a bath and trim it?
Thanks agin

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Peggy absolutely needed a diaper for about a week. On lighter days, or if she only needed to wear something for a short time before going outside, etc. I used x-small boxer briefs, with the pee flap cut off to make a tail hole.

When she was in her x-pen or crate, I didn't put anything on her, so she was free to follow those natural instincts to keep herself clean. I was also worried about her tearing apart a diaper while unsupervised. (She never showed any inclination to do this, but you know how it goes—six days of ignoring something and then on the seventh day, just as you let down your guard, it's party time!)

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Oh - and I would never ever leave it on her outside! Wouldn't want to confuse her housebreaking, and the mess really is unpleasant. I forgot Peggy's briefs were on one day and took her out for a pee.... Ick.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
I haven't groomed her sanitary in a few weeks so it’s pretty long. Is it okay to give her a bath and trim it?
Sounds like it might be a good idea, but be careful. When the cervix is open, it's a dangerous time to introduce bacteria, which you could easily do with a bath. Maybe just a gentle wipe down with a clean cloth. And read up on pyometra if you've not already. You'll want to watch out for any signs of it in the coming months.

·
Registered
81 Posts
With my spoos first heat, we didn’t use anything because it wasn’t so bad bleeding wise. I then made the mistake of shaving her sanitary area (to keep it cleaner...so I thought) and that made for a massive mess. I didn’t bathe her until after she was done but did wipe gently with warm water because she wasn’t that much of a licker.

So the second heat we got a pack of white mens briefs in a small, put a panty liner in them and then pinned the edges together with a baby pin. I figured white briefs were easy enough to bleach the heck out of after. We tried pull ups and diapers for dogs but they didn’t fit her properly and were either too big or too small.

She wore them in the house and at bed time but I took them off before she went outside.
We didn’t go for walks but played in the back yard because didn’t want to risk it and there’s a house that has 3 unaltered male dogs that are always loose and not very well behaved and there’s many people who walk off leash around here.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so it’s been over 24 hours since I found the blood. She’s been wearing a pad inside of a disposable diaper with all of your advice. Thank you. There has not been a drop of blood since. Is that normal? I’m so confused right now. I know it was her blood yesterday because I smelled it. It was the most awful smell ever. I’m sorry for the details.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Hmmmm. That is odd. Peggy's blood did ebb and flow, but not to that degree, and it didn't smell. Was the fluid strongly fishy? If so, could have been from her anal glands. Is she scooting or licking or showing any discomfort?

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Is she scooting or licking or showing any discomfort? She might have an abscess or something requiring veterinary attention.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No she’s not licking more than she usually does which isn’t often. Yesterday she did sit on the ground and move kind of weird but only once. I don’t think she’s in pain or discomfort. The fluid I found yesterday was a darkish red brown.
i guess I’ll just wait it out and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Can't say for sure, of course, but it does sound like that's her anal glands. Might be worth a call to your vet. They'll let you know if it's worth a visit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I feel pretty stupid now. I kept the poor puppy in a diaper!! I don’t think she’s in heat because nothing came of it. But because of you guys I’m not prepared when it does happen! Thanks guys!!

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Okay. Peggy just leaked anal gland fluid and I can totally see how you might confuse it for blood. This is a regular occurrence for her, but this is the first time it's happened on a white sheet so I could really get a good look at it.

Oily and brown, but with that unmistakable anal gland smell. AWFUL.

This has been an issue with Peggy since we first brought her home. It only happens when she's relaxed and lounging with us, which is inconvenient since that generally means she's on the couch or bed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh wow. Yes it was on a white quilt right when she woke up in the morning. Now having to explain to everyone how she’s not in heat is awkward!!
I was reading that canned pumpkin helps with it. Everywhere I’ve read to give a spoonful with each meal. Have you tried that?

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Giggling a bit, picturing Willow in her diaper. :) I responded to your pumpkin q over in the thread I started on leaky bums. But short answer: Yep! And lots of other veggies, too. Plus Glandex, both the powder and chews.

Best "solution" so far is a really hideous couch cover I bought online. 😭

1 - 20 of 45 Posts