Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are photos from the William Penn Futurity in 1969 or 1970. Our girl, Bibelot's Samantha Bewitched, won the best Brood Bitch class with two of her progeny in the ring with her. All three were judged. (Sorry, I misspoke earlier, I thought it was three offspring). She won over other Standards, Minis and Toys.

Susan Fraser of Bibelot is showing Samantha, I am (at fourteen or fifteen) showing her daughter Bibelot's Tabatha of Cherod and Helen Hamilton of Pomroth Poodles is showing a litter sister to Tabatha.

This was the highlight win of all of our show careers I think. We were on cloud nine for many weeks after this win!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Oh wow... if that isn't cool!!!
Look at those puppy coats! Massive hair (and care!) How fun to see you as a youngster and so involved with the breed.
To learn under Susan, how fortunate.
She is still a great help to others, if asked. :)

I hope you'll share more! <g>

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
That is too cool and inspiring!! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh wow... if that isn't cool!!!
Look at those puppy coats! Massive hair (and care!) How fun to see you as a youngster and so involved with the breed.
To learn under Susan, how fortunate.
She is still a great help to others, if asked. :)

I hope you'll share more! <g>
I certainly will when I find them. This is the first time I have been thankful my Mom was a hoarder.

Yep...tiny clothes for the female humans and big Poodle coats. Ahhh, the sixties and seventies!! It must be sooooo much easier now to maintain a Standard in puppy coat with all the scissor work that is done today. They were basically au naturel then, but for a bit of tidying up around the ankles and the bum. I can remember sitting under a hot dryer for six hours blowing out a baby, and we sooo looked forward to putting them into adult clips and getting rid of SOME of it!!

Yes, Susan was a wonderful mentor and partner in some breedings with my Mom. She taught me a lot, and what SHE didn't teach me, Mom did through their friendship and mentorship.

In all of my years involved with Spoos, the only people I wanted approval from other than me, were my Mom and Susan Fraser. When THEY told me I was doing a good job, then I was proud of myself and happy with what I was doing!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Oooo la la!! Do I spy a little thigh there, Arreau!! :lol: Wonderful pictures and thank you SOOO much for sharing!! I can tell you're a very statuesque teen, too - I think you were taller at 14 years old than I've ever been in my life!! :)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now,now...don't forget, it WAS the seventies!!! I was a total hippy wannabe! But, this was a mini skirt...the micro minis were like glorified BELTS!!!

I was 5'11" then and have stayed that height since. I kept praying when I was ten that I would NOT get any taller, then when I was sixteen, prayed for one more inch to be 6 feet tall.

That was a crazy time to be growing up with the drug revolution and the sexual revolution for girls, so I thank GOD I had my love and interest in Poodles, or who knows where I may have ended up. My pooches helped keep me out of too much trouble, and grooming them, showing them and being a part of breeding them was really good for the self esteem, which so many young girls lack. I will be eternally grateful for my Mom bringing her love of this breed to her kids, and giving me something to be involved in that was good for me.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Awesome! This reminds me of the pictures in The Complete Poodle (very old edition) that I enjoy looking through. I really like the more course look than the very groomed look of today. A lot of the old photos look like working dog photos eventhough they are in a continental. It just looks and is so much more natural than all the POOF!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Now,now...don't forget, it WAS the seventies!!! I was a total hippy wannabe! But, this was a mini skirt...the micro minis were like glorified BELTS!!!

I was 5'11" then and have stayed that height since. I kept praying when I was ten that I would NOT get any taller, then when I was sixteen, prayed for one more inch to be 6 feet tall.

That was a crazy time to be growing up with the drug revolution and the sexual revolution for girls, so I thank GOD I had my love and interest in Poodles, or who knows where I may have ended up. My pooches helped keep me out of too much trouble, and grooming them, showing them and being a part of breeding them was really good for the self esteem, which so many young girls lack. I will be eternally grateful for my Mom bringing her love of this breed to her kids, and giving me something to be involved in that was good for me.
That is such a sweet sentiment! It's true though, so many girls (and boys for that matter) lack self esteem, and/or have no interests to keep them busy. Kudos to your Mom for giving you such a strong beginning.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Passion4poodles...isn't it amazing how much the clips have morphed over time?? I'll tell you...what a TON of coat to look after. And we normally had two to four in full show coat!!

Kalamama...I guess these old photos really age me. I find it interesting to see how many of the old show Poodles were in English Saddles. You sure don't see that very often anymore. And even going back twenty years from these photos, they looked liked their feet were clipped up way too high and they were curly, and their top knots were straggly. If some of those real old timers could see the Poos of today. I wonder if they'd like it or be rolling over in their graves.

Rockporters...I thank God for my mom and her influence every single day. I have been encouraging Trillium to get her oldest son into agility, and thankfully he has a real keen interest in it. Idle hands are the devils work, and an idle mind in a young one is even scarier. It helps them know who they are and avoid trouble. I don't know if my Mother ever realized how much her love of the breed did for me, but I do know how proud she was that I decided to continue on with her legacy.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wow arreau, what a wonderful service your Mother did for you. My Mom did the same thing for me with my animals growing up. Kept me out of alot of trouble. I thank her every chance I get! Thanks for sharing a very warm story with great photos!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alicia....I am ever so grateful!!! You are blessed you still have your Mom around to thank. A good Mom can be our biggest blessing in life!!!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are some really great pics and a great story of strong women passing it on!
Thank you!!! I wish I had someone I could pass this on to as well. My kids all love dogs, but my daughter likes shorter coated breeds (German Shorthaired Pointer and Irish Setter) and my youngest son has recently acquired a mutt. My young niece is excited about dogs and Spoos, so maybe one day she will take the reins. I hope so. I think it would be so sad if it ended with me.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
OH.. another WOW. LOVE it! Isn't great to look back on such fond memories? These are great.... share all you want. :) Looking forward to more "circa" pics.

Yeah, amazing to see the coats the pups have compared to now. Ummm, I think I prefer what we do now... as nice as all that hair looks, a little less now, thank you! LOL

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OH.. another WOW. LOVE it! Isn't great to look back on such fond memories? These are great.... share all you want. :) Looking forward to more "circa" pics.

Yeah, amazing to see the coats the pups have compared to now. Ummm, I think I prefer what we do now... as nice as all that hair looks, a little less now, thank you! LOL
I'll bet every show person thanks God for the European influence in the puppy coats today. What a PILE of work it was!!! There has to be a good six inches less in the back half and about 3-4" less on the front end. All that drying....I get tired just thinking about it!!! My Mother loved it. She died at 76 years of age and until 3 months prior to her death had Thinker's daughter in full show coat as well as three Standards in pet clips that she maintained all by herself!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I think its so amazing to be able to see pics like this. Its also so wonderful you have been involved with poodles for most of your life. I'm truly blessed to have such an experienced and knowledgeable co-owner

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Trillium!!! It has been a very long time, that's for sure. I am happy for every moment. When I find some of the photos, you will laugh. I am so small and the dogs are so big, and I have them stacked in the yard and my little hand is wrapped right around their tail. Apparently, I needed to brush up on my Junior Showmanship skills a bit. I am only about seven though, so have figured I can forgive myself that mistake. I am looking forward to showing them my Grandson...maybe tweak him a bit on the joys of Spoos and pass this on another generation!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts