Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I came back to ask again for your insights/experience. And thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post and for your reply.
As I am on the path to searching for the puppy...I do have one breeder in mind. However, it is pretty hard to figure out both sire & dam's personality from the information on the website and their FB page...and corresponding emails...
I asked the breeder's opinion about the dam's temperament and the answer I got was...she is a fun-loving, having a mind of her own, loves people(always saying hello to greet them), and sometimes crazy doggie. I don't have much from the sire's side...unfortunately.
I think the puppies personality will take on both sire & dam's...maybe not 50/50 but...
Do you think there will be active/lively ones and laid back/relaxed ones mixed in a same litter or do they usually take more of one side than the other???

I am sorry if my question is too general...any insight would be very appreciated.
(I just don't know if we can find the ones in the middle...not too active and not too timid...so depending on the answer I get, I might need to look elsewhere...?)

Thank you for your help in advance.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Unless the mother is too far in one end of the spectrum (really shy or really hyper), if she’s relatively normal, I wouldn’t worry too much about her temperament. Puppies do not necessarily have the same temperament as the mother (or father). Their temperaments will vary greatly within the same litter, which is why puppy temperament testing exists and also why some breeders will choose puppies for the families themselves, depending on the adopter’s lifestyle and environment.

This applies for pet dogs. In working dogs, I would think the temperament of the parents matters greatly because they will pass on their working abilities.

·
Registered
472 Posts
YES. The puppies can be very different from each other. I had two sisters from the same litter, opposite personalities. However both are lovely, gentle, affectionate and smart so the general poodley personality is still there in both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
They can differ, especially if the mother and father had very different energy levels and drive. Misha's litter came from a very laid back dam and a very energetic goofy sire. Misha seems to be very similar to his father in temperament. I think his siblings were either between or more like the mother. The breeder paired me with Misha based on his energy and his attention to human direction and interaction. He is extremely clownish and goofy. We know another miniature poodle of similar age to him. But that dog is very different from Misha. He does not have the same silly bounce and playful personality. People say Misha oozes charisma. I do not think this other dog does at all. I would take the busy troublemaker with the stellar personality any day! But I also have the energy to keep up with him. He is a lot more dog than his friend. You are likely to find a middle of the road pup in your litter unless both parents were extremes.

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
Pogo and Snarky were littermates; they definitely had different personalities.
Pogo had a lot of drive; he needed a job. He loved being trained. The drive contributed to leash and fence reactivity. He would lose his mind over squirrels, passing cars, other dogs, etc.
In contrast, Snarky was somewhat lazy. Every training exercise was a negotiation: "What's in it for me, and do I like this flavor of treats enough to bother?" He was also less reactive than Pogo. If I was walking him alone he wasn't much inclined to go crazy over the things that set Pogo off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ooohhh thank you so much to each of you for replying to my post.
I am relieved to hear that there will be variety. And yes, this breeder will be matching us with the good-fit puppy when the time comes...so hopefully, it will be a good match.
Nature vs Nurture...I have read few threads here that had that discussion as well...I just hope I won't mess this puppy's life up...(it might make a difference if the puppy comes with solid upbringing/personality to begin with...I think...?)
Thank you again for all your help! Now off to reading more on puppy related threads...:sneaky:

·
Registered
365 Posts
From what I have read, puppies have a tendancy to take a little more after their mother than the father- but this is (likely) because of environment, as in the pups taking their cues from the mother. This appears to apply specifically to things like shyness and reactivity, how the mother perceives people, sounds, and novel experiences. However it's also said that if the mother is stressed while pregnant (as a reactive dog would likely be), the pups are exposed to increased levels of cortisol which can have a negative effect on their adult personality as well.
In the rescue world there are many people who recommend taking puppies away from their mother as soon as possible if she does not like people or has fears and phobias.
I should point out that in these cases, the puppies are still kept together, and ideally introduced to other, stable, adults.
So I would be particularly watchful for those in the dam, but activity level is more likely to be highly variable.
Of course the new home environment is going to play a big part in whether the pup learns to relax and so forth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts