Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rio, about 6 months old, pee's on himself and it is driving me batty! It's usually that he's impatient to let the whole pee out and start walking while the last of it is still dribbling out, thus getting it ALL over his legs. Eww.... and stinky. I feel like once a week bathes don't even keep him smelling nice, my husband keeps joking saying I tricked him about poodles not smelling.... little did I know.

He still squats to pee.... I bring him to pee on a leash every time, and lately have been gently with two fingers holding his collar so he doesn't jump out of his pee mid-stream. I'm hoping this doesn't worsen the problem, but cleaning his legs so often is getting really old. I'm hoping he'll be one to start lifting his leg. (if that even helps) Kinda wishing he was a girl right about now. :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Not all dogs start lifting their legs. Our Chesapeake Bay Retriever was 9 when he passed, and he only occasionally lifted his leg, and he was older when neutered. I hope, for you, that your boy starts lifting his leg. I know how frustrating it can be!

·
Registered
207 Posts
My trainer recommended not neutering until he lifts his leg. She assured me it will happen on it's own soon.... usually around 1 year. She also said that if you allow him to be with others who lift their leg, it will happen sooner. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Flip doesn't lift his leg, but he finally stretches enough not to pee on himself.
He started doing that at about 9 months. :doh:

·
Registered
918 Posts
My Toy has always done this and he's 15. I didn't get him neutered until around 5 y.o. It's gross. I just wipe his leg with a baby wipe or a piece of paper towel with warm water and good smelling soap.

Jasper has a bad habit of walking through the spot where he goes.. yuck either way!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
My brother and SIL recently moved from Louisiana back to windy West Texas. Their Poodle, who they go while living in LA, has no clue about not peeing into the wind. It's gross but it also pretty funny!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well Mister is 2 years old and had only lifted his leg TWICE that ive seen lol. He's always going to be a squatter! He has peed on his front legs a few times but has stopped thank goodness. I think once yours grows up a bit more he might become more patient and learn to not pee on himself. He cant enjoy it either especially since it smells.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
the tip about leaving the hair on the top of the sheath stopped the peeing on the front legs with bernie- best tip i got ever :p

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Matrix and Mitch pee both ways, but they squat more than they lift. Matrix has never had a problem with peeing on his leg, I think it's because he's so long in the body. Mitch on the other hand pees on his leg once in a while. I'll interrupt him and try to get him to re-adjust his stance, but sometimes there's just no stopping it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the tip about leaving the hair on the top of the sheath stopped the peeing on the front legs with bernie- best tip i got ever :p
Do you mean the hair that they shave in the sanitary cut on his peners?? I've heard it called the "pee string"? Rio's is beginning to grow out, I might let it and see how this works.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Vegas still squats too, and sometimes he'll have a front leg out and I'm thinking "Don't pee on it don't pee on it" he hasn't yet, but I witnessed him lift his leg a little ONCE already, so I see a good sign he'll be a leg lifter and hopefully not squat when he's bigger.

It took my friends schnauzer until he was 8 months until he started to lift his leg! Hopefully that'll fix the problem?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy is pretty funny about this. He mostly squats around our neighborhood, but when he's in the city, he lifts his leg so far he's in danger of falling over backwards. I've never seen him squat there. I think it might be something to do with what he's peeing on. At home, he's usually just peeing in the grass, but in the city, it's always a pole of some sort. He only occasionally pees on his front leg, mostly during those few very windy days we had last week.

I think he was only 5 or 6 months old when he lifted his leg for the first time. I was so proud! LOL!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
lol, I'm afraid that lifting the leg doesn't always help either, I know plenty of poodles who cock their leg and can just reach furthur up their front legs now... *ugh*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts