Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about what is involved in a poodle holding their color or not, but I am curious as to whether Millie will eventually fade. Her mom was not ink black. She was about 2 and already had some gray grizzling. Millie's father is chocolate but did have some lighter areas around his mouth and legs.

Millie right now is chocolate, but she has a slightly faded color around the very tip of her mouth.

On her pedigree, everyone is listed as either being black or brown. Does anyone have any idea how to estimate her holding potential??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
From what I have read about chocolates and fading, if there is a light color in their background they are apt to fade. I have a chocolate who has faded to Cafe Au Lait even though her parents were red and black, so there must have been some white or cream in the mix somewhere.

In addition, I don't think it is uncommon for colors to change somewhat over the years.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I would say that cbrand is one of the best people to ask if your dog will fade... she is our resident expert!

I do know, however, that brown poodles are called just that; brown. Haha, but that's about all I can help you with. :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I would say that Millie's color Brown has a higher potential to fade, though how much she will fade is hard to gauge.

My Delilah started out a similar color and she is getting lighter and lighter with time. I do have to say that her color is still pretty even faded. It has sort of a pinkish/taupeish hue as opposed to the grey color that some faded Browns get. (This greying may be a function of heavy grizzling rather than clearing color).

The Browns that seem to hold their color best are the ones like Dogsinstyle's puppies. They are born a very, very dark Brown that is more walnut hued than mahogany. Their color seem cool rather than warm, if that makes sense. It seems to me, that the "redder" Brown a puppy is, the higher the chance that the color will lighten. The Silver Beiges that I have seen were born sort of a cinnamon Brown color.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
It has sort of a pinkish/taupeish hue as opposed to the grey color that some faded Browns get. (This greying may be a function of heavy grizzling rather than clearing color).
Question about Meau... She was born deep brown. I don't have any really recent pictures, but her coat has lightened considerably and it's not because there's a lot of white hairs amidst the brown (which I would consider "grizzled"), but each of her brown hairs have lightened quite a bit to a silvery brown (if that makes any sense...) Her ears and bracelets are darker than the rest of her (I gotta get some new pictures!!! :wacko:)

Anyway... is her coat "clearing" or is it "fading" or is it "graying"???? Not that it's a huge deal either way - she's a spayed pet and we love her no matter what color she is - it's just curiosity on my part! :)

Here's a couple pictures of her at 4 weeks and 8 weeks (I'll see if I can get some good new ones so you can see the transformation):

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would say that Millie's color Brown has a higher potential to fade, though how much she will fade is hard to gauge.

My Delilah started out a similar color and she is getting lighter and lighter with time. I do have to say that her color is still pretty even faded. It has sort of a pinkish/taupeish hue as opposed to the grey color that some faded Browns get. (This greying may be a function of heavy grizzling rather than clearing color).

The Browns that seem to hold their color best are the ones like Dogsinstyle's puppies. They are born a very, very dark Brown that is more walnut hued than mahogany. Their color seem cool rather than warm, if that makes sense. It seems to me, that the "redder" Brown a puppy is, the higher the chance that the color will lighten. The Silver Beiges that I have seen were born sort of a cinnamon Brown color.

My puppy, who is about 9 weeks now, has all kinds of colors in his background, which I've read is a characteristic of somewhat "irresponsible" breeding. But I am not looking to show him so it is not a matter of particular concern for me. He is currently a chocolate sable color, with very creamy and light color underneath his puppy fur. His ears look like they will stay dark though. He has the liver colored points and amber eyes which I believe is breed standard for cafe au lait. Is there a possibility he will keep some of his dark color in his coat? Because I really favor it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts