Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My poodle had what the Vet believes was a ruptured subcutaneous cyst. I didn't even know she had such a thing and it rupture while wrestling with my other dog. It left a pretty decent little gash-- certainly enough blood to scare me. I took her to the Vet and they shaved the area and bandaged it the best they could(It's on the middle of her back). They didn't stitch it up because it was flat and not something they could pull together; they said it would heal on it's own.

This happened just over 8 weeks ago. I've closely monitored the healing process. It got really pink, formed a nice scab, scab fell off, and now it's the normal pale color of her skin. The hair around it has grown back, albeit in a darker shade(perhaps her puppy shade?) and a different texture, straight opposed to curly. But there is still a small circle that is bare-- about the size of half a penny.

She just got groomed last week and there's a thinned, dark spot on her back where the bald spot is. It's a very superficial thing, but as you all know when you get a poodle groomed it like...perfection. I probably just need to get over it because I love my dog and this doesn't change anything, but little things like this tend to bother me in general.

Anyone have any experience with something like this or knowledge on the topic? I'm just wondering if there's a chance the hair will ever grow back or if the darker hair that had been shaved will ever return to her normal color/style of hair.

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
When new hair grows out on a clean shaved area it will often be darker on a light colored dog because that area is cooler than the other parts of the body and more melanin is often made under those conditions. The dark spot usually fades over time as old hairs shed out and new ones grow in. As to the little spot that hasn't regrown hair that will depend on whether there are correctly formed hair follicles in the new skin (maybe, maybe not).

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
She may end up with a tiny hairless spot, but unless it is shaved very closely it will be unnoticeable. Poppy has several little sebaceous cysts, but even half a centimetre of curls is enough to hide them.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think if the dark hair that grew back around it ends up growing back into the lighter, normal curls, then the spot wouldn't be noticeable much at at.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
My silver miniature poodles had a bee sting - and a pea size area around the sting developed alopecia (no hair) I was shocked when I saw that area of alopecia. A month later black as inky black hair started to grow back (silver poodles are born black). It took about 4-5 months before her hair lightened up to match the silver hair in that area.

I don't know if hair will grow back on the area where the cyst was, but I would assume some will. The dark color you see is the color at birth. It will take a while before it's as light as the rest of the hair. Once the hair has faded in color I don't think you will notice where the cyst was.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Sherlock had a huge injury. Here is a blurred image as the real deal is too gross. It was about five inches long and three inches wide. There was a lot of skin that wasn't able to be stitched back because of jagged edges so we had to use a skin replacement they use for burns. I figured he was going to be bald not just on the scar but where we used the "fake" skin. They vet slowly pulled the real deal together as he healed though. (It was after hours and this was done on a vet's kitchen table at her home. As I was the only other person around and Sherlock was bleeding out, I had to be the scrub nurse. I snapped a few pictures so it isn't that the vet gave me photos of operating on my dog.)

Here is that area now.

If I hadn't circled it, you probably wouldn't be able to guess. And where the dark is there is just shadow. I have to feel for the scar to find it. I was amazed at how it all came back in and healed. But I do have to give a lot of credit to the vet. She really kept on top of the injury and healing process.

As said by other's, it may grown in darker but even my girl with SA doesn't have any noticeable spots without hair.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sherlock, you are a adorable ! Too bad about that injury, but glad it is behind you now.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
My poodle got attached by another dog, and wound up with a pretty bad bite on his front leg. It went bald during the healing process. I think it took at least 2 months before I could little tiny hairs on it, but it did finally grow back and can't see at all where the bite was. Hopefully it will grow back, but there are no guarantees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts