Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 4 month poodle pup - not sure if he’s mini or toy, but considering he was only 4.8 lbs on the 10th, last time he was weighed, I am thinking he is a toy! We knew very little about him when we got him, but we did an Embark test which told us he has standard poodle in his maternal line and “small poodle” in his paternal line. That’s all it really told us. He’s still rather short, but his legs do seem to be getting longer little by little - will he get taller? Or will he be a short poodle?
Here’s what he looks like today. He turns 5 months on the 30th!

Love him to pieces no matter what he looks like - but I’m kinda also excited to see how he turns out as an adult !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s so hard to get an accurate reading on how tall he is...he’s so wiggly!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

Poodle variety is ultimately reckoned by height, but that's a bit hard to get on wiggly puppies. My boys are mini's. All I could get on them was weight for quite a while.

Just for comparison, my bigger mini boy, Neo, was 6.1lbs at 13 weeks and 4 days. I never got a good shoulder height on him as a puppy but he's finished out around 14" at the shoulder, same from neck to tail, and about 14lbs.

At just over 16 weeks Neo was up to 8.8 lbs, still no height measurement.

At just over 7 months Neo was up to about 12 lbs and had slowed down in his growth.

It would be a few more months before he reached full physical maturity but by 7 months he'd reached most of his height, length, and weight.

Remember though, there are NO weight restrictions on poodles only height so really weight doesnt have a lot to do with the poodle.Toys are 10 inches in height and under. Miniatures are over 10 inches to 15 inches. Standards are over 15 inches. This by the breed standards for both AKC and UKC. NOTE: A poodles height is measured from the ground up to the top of the withers (shoulder blades).

HEIGHT CHART FOR TOY POODLES

AGE IN WEEKSHEIGHT IN INCHES
5 WEEKS5 INCHES

8 WEEKS

6 INCHES
12 WEEKS
7 INCHES
16 WEEKS
8 INCHES

20 WEEKS

9 INCHES

24 WEEKS

10 INCHES

Toy poodles are usually finished growing in height at 6-7 months although it may take them a bit longer to fill out.

Here is another height chart for toy poodles.

AGE IN WEEKSHEIGHT IN INCHES
8 WEEKS5 3/4 INCHES
12 WEEKS6 3/4 INCHES
6 MONTHS9 3/4 INCHES

HEIGHT CHART FOR MINIATURE POODLES

AGE IN MONTHSHEIGHT IN INCHES
8 WEEKS8 - 8.5 INCHES
3 MONTHS10 - 10.5 INCHES
4 MONTHS11 - 11.5 INCHES
6 MONTHS13.5 - 14 INCHES

Some miniature poodles will take up to 12 months to finish growing. Some will finish growing in height around 6-7 months but may take a bit longer to fill out.

HEIGHT CHART FOR STANDARD POODLES

AGE IN MONTHSHEIGHT IN INCHES
8 WEEKS12 - 13 INCHES
3 MONTHS14 INCHES
4 MONTHS18-19 INCHES
6 MONTHS21+ INCHES
FULL GROWN (USUALLY 24 MONTHS)24-27 INCHES

Standard poodles can take up to 2 years to finish growing and filling out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow that was super helpful!!! Love that chart! And yes it’s so hard to get a read on my boy since he’s SO wiggly. I’m guessing I’ll know if he’s a mini or a toy by 7 months for sure.

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Your puppy is very cute. It’s hard to tell with the picture but he seems to have short legs. Shorter than what the standard calls for. The poodle should be a square dog, with legs the same length as the back. Because of that, I would assume your poodle will not follow the regular poodle charts.

It doesn’t mean he will have physical problems (or not), it just means he wasn’t from a breeder who was consciously breeding for good conformation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts