Poodle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, knowledgeable poodle forum folks!
My SPOO puppy, Cody, is 9 months old. We keep him in a pretty short hair cut. So far, I have only used a nice, heavy duty metal grooming comb on his fur. (I comb it once or twice a week).
My question: Should I get a brush for him, too? Is there something a brush can do that the comb can’t? (Especially with cost change - his fur seems a little coarser to me these days, but I don’t know if we’ve really hit the coat change yet or not). If so, what kind of brush should I get? There are so many choices.
Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
I would start brushing Cody. Look for a slicker brush with rounded pins. I can't advise you on brands. I am still using my spaniel brush. Some other folks may chime in with specific suggestions.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Yeah, you're going to need one. She's only 9 months old. You will need a slicker brush during the course of her life.

The brush seperates the hair better versus the comb... It will give a salon fluff look. If you have any ladies in the house you could ask them what would be better for their hair, comb or brush, same idea.... brush, obviously.

You'll definitely need the brush if it gets longer than 1.5 inches because then your technique has to change and you need to start to line brush to be sure to get to the base of the hair shaft. Otherwise, you're just brushing over the top inch. If you keep it .5-1.0 inches long you could get away with just the tipped slicker below.

Basil's 0.5 inches on her body and she only needs to be brushed once a week and I can zip through her coat in about 2 minutes (hallelujah). When her hair was 4-5 inches long it was 15-20 minutes everyday with the non-tipped slicker brush.

Get this one (tipped slicker)

This one too maybe (Non-tipped slicker)

I have both those, I use the tipped one 98% of the time for the last few months.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thank you! That is helpful! I will order one of those brushes.

Basil, funnily, I actually am a long-haired lady, in a house with three long-haired daughters. Two of them actually have poodle-like curls and would never, ever brush their hair. Wide-tooth comb-out in the shower with conditioner, and otherwise nothing touches those curls. Definitely different than a dog, where the fluffy look is desirable! Lol

·
Premium Member
7,201 Posts
I went with Raindrops suggestion for the affordable end for a slicker brush, Paw Brothers Soft Pin Universal Type Curved Slicker With Coated Pin Tips

I'm using the medium and small for my mpoo boys and I love them! The curve of the brush allows me to swoop thru easily, and the soft tips and flexibility are kind to them. The boys fall asleep when I use these to brush.
They were out of stock when I placed my order but I received them in a few weeks.

Another brush type you'll be familiar with is the round tipped pin brush.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, thank you both for your suggestions. I ordered the one that Asta’s mom suggested on amazon. I will try the other one that you suggest, rose and poos, if that doesn’t work. I like the idea of the tips being softer-I have tried using my old kitty’s untipped slicker brush and it clearly hurts him. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Lol, I have long curly hair too and a brush never touches my head!
My breeder kept her dogs in a fairly short trim, and I think she mainly used a comb.
It depends on what look you are going for, but a comb is still my favorite. I used a comb plus a pin brush for quite a while, I occasionally use a slicker if I want that really fluffed out look. Basically in the fall only since the rest of the year Raffi is wet from the pond or muddy/snowy from playing and I just succumb to the messy curly look lol!

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I recently got an Artero ball-tipped slicker and just love it. Each of my slickers, the DoggyMan, soft Andis, and the Artero, has a different feel and way of working. Same with my pin brushes, with the CC wood pin and the Madan remaining my favorites by far.

What I don't have and have looked at so many over the years is a toolbox that suits me 😂.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.