Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I got a question for ya. Cardi does this wierd thing when he gets super excited. He will race around the house like a bat out of hell all over and then suddenly stop and look at us, all tired out. Does anyone else's poodle do this or did your dog do it when they were puppies? I'm wondering if this is a poodle thing or if he is becoming hyperactive and I need to be concerned. He gets plently of exercise and stimulation.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
LOL...my dogs have done that. Not my Poodles yet but our Amstaffs and Rat Terrier did many times. It's kind of like they are so excited that they just take off. Its definately wild.

My moms Jack Russel and my sister's mastiff , same thing.
Your not alone. lol
:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Marley definitely runs up and down the halls when he is excited, and he is four. Sometimes something prompts it (e.g., it's time to go to the park), but other times, we can't figure out what sparks it. Also, when he is running around he likes to have a toy in his mouth. I've heard that this is because poodles are somewhat "mouthy."

P.S. We refer to this behavior as "poodle rodeo."

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Mine do it alot, but as they get older they are less excitable. Is yours young? He should settle after 3yrs.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Max does it sometimes. He is normally surprisingly calm but occasionally he'll get what I call "the puppy crazies" and run as fast as he can around the yard in a big loop. Each time he does a flying leap over a set of potted plants then a "drive by" to Abbie where he nips her on the neck and runs so fast all she can do is yell at him and watch! It's hilarious!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Inca often does this after she has come in from a walk. Occasionally she will do it just before she is put on the lead at the end of a walk on the meadows. The worst time for her to do it is on a flexi lead when we meet other people. We've had four walkers all tied up together when she threw a mad moment. Coco is four and does not do anything like this. I'm glad to hear that other poodles do it. I thought she had a screw loose.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Well, I'm so lucky lol Teddy is like that all the time! He has such an abundance of energy that sometimes I am at my wits end. He has come a long way but he is 3 and I dont think he will ever settle down - he's just like a 4 month old puppy. I call him the 'forever puppy' oh he's cute and i love him but.....lol Mr. Energy - and this is the dog with the scarred airways that's not supposed to get too excited right!? oh well. I guess it all depends. If a dog is hyperactive is there something that can be done? meds or something? He is listening a little better but boy it takes a lot to settle him down. LIke I said, he has come a long way. When we got him he didn't even know what a leash was - didn't know any commands - he tries to be a good boy lol I will tell him to sit and he sits but can hardly contain himself - funny! but he is stubborn too! all in the personality I guess!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
When Moose is at my folks they think he has ADHD.... he will NOT stop and lay down like all the other dogs do. He just keeps wondering and wondering.

If I go to the bedroom and rest he follows me and goes to slip in a split SECOND but with other ppl and things to do he just stays awake it's crazy.

This is probably why he CRASHES at night.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My puppy does the same thing - he is 13 weeks now. He seems to do it around an hour before bed when I am downstairs settling my daughter in. He is racing around upstairs like it's his personal race track, my husband watches and can't believe it either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts