Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if any of you guys that are more expiernced know of a way to keep porter more still when i groom him, he doesnt act like he hates it he just wont hold still. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have you tried Rescue Remedy? I have a dog we refer to as the Spider Monkey - 4.5lbs of long legs slithering around. RR helps keep her calm. The other thing you might try is the Comfort Zone pheremone stuff, they have both a plug in and a spray for the air. My vet uses this in her boarding kennels and finds it very effective. I have one in the room where my dog's crate is, as she used to go bananas when I left the premises. These are just tools to use while you work with the dog to train it that grooming is a time to relax and enjoy all that attention from Mom.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I clicker trained Mia to stand on the table. Started with just standing, and when she stopped spinning she got click/treat. Then I moved up to holding her paws, and touching her face. When she was standing still click/treat. She caught on very fast, but it took some work. Kodi is a terror on the grooming table, I wanted to make sure she was well behaved. I still occasionally give treats while grooming for good behavior. Kodi is still learning how to be good on the grooming table... We've made MAJOR progress on his face(aka I can actually clip it) but we're still working to standing nicely for face and feet.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
nother trick- is how we teach show dogs to stack- we put them on blocks- they figure out fast to stand still- as they tip- if they move around. I use that combined wtih clicker- usually have a dog standing still with in 1 short session-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts