Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to Special my blue(dyed black) standard female soon. I am on the hunt for some wiggies. Does anyone have any they would be willing to sell/part with or is anyone planning on shaving down someone in show coat soon that I could buy some hair pieces from? If the hair is lighter I can dye it black so no worries.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why you are dying your blue dog black? Is it because it is harder to find blue wigs? I have seen more and more blue dogs be very competitive in the ring if they are a pretty blue colored. Some of the root-beer blue dogs don't look as good to me though as they look more brownish odd color. I understand some people think they have to dye the blue ones to compete, but it seems the trend is to acknowledge dogs of color now. Just curious. I don't think there's that many show people on here, certainly none that would admit to wanting to sell you wigs. I hear that specialing a dog is a lot of work! Did you finish your dog black, or blue?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I, too, was wondering the same thing. Why not show her as a blue? I guess I am confused as to when she has pups, what would she be called in color? And, I don't think you will find anyone on this forum that is "for" wigs, not openly anyway. I realize that this girl is a finished Champion, but wouldn't it be nice if a poodle could be specialed for what they are and win.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Why isn't it appropriate? This is a poodle forum, this is a section on showing poodles, is it not???
Because the people on this forum are not keen on poodles being shown for what they are not. I know you are new to this forum but a discussion on this issue has been discussed before and not very acceptable. I know you are trying to show your girl and competition is stiff in the ring... especially in specials. If you are looking for this type of item, you may want to find a poodle forum that has others that deal with this.

Just an FYI, I went to a show recently and the judge put his fingers into the top knots of all the dogs... not messing them up, gently... but verifying that the hair was indeed really theirs.

Edit... ok, plumcrazy linked you to the thread.

And, hey, make sure you save some of that yummy looking stuff for me!! :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please do not come here posting comments about this forum being a place where wiggies should not be discussed. This is the appropriate place for it being it is in the Show category. I understand completely anyone whose stand is to go "All Natural" but I am not planning to do that this time around. Wiggies, Dyes, Chalks, etc are ALL used in the show ring. This information I'm sure can all be very shocking to those that do not realize what many show dogs actually undergo. I am not a huge fan of this but I plan to Special my dog for a short while and intend on using some of the tricks of the trade. She is a blue and is not yet three years old. Anyone that is familiar with blues knows that they undergo an ugly brown color as they clear. It resembles oxidized hair and is not usually very pretty to look at. After several opinions of whether or not to dye her we decided to let the handler do it. So, she will be finished as a black but she is truly blue and will be featured in the Silver and Blue addition this month of Poodle Variety where many of the blues will be obviously dyed as well=) I did put her first few points on her as a blue and with NO TRICKS but it wasn't easy. As far as the question about her puppies goes...i'm not sure I understand what you are asking but she is a blue and is registered as such.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I think what Harley Chick meant was this isn't an appropriate place for you to ask to buy one
theres a section that the Admin and Mods are working on where things can be sold/bought that isn't yet open

...at least thats the way I interrupted what she was saying
((if its not what you meant I'm sorry HC >.< ))

many of the forum members ((and poodle owners not on the forum)) are SUPER against wigs...because they aren't a real part of the dog

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I fully support your right to ask about wigs. However, I'm personally opposed to dying and wigging my Poodles so I don't have any wigs to share.

IMHO, I think it is unfair when people wig because it gives these Poodles an unfair advantage in the ring. The wigging of Specials has trickled down and put pressure on the class dogs to wig. At this point, people are even wigging dogs in the Puppy class.

I would like to see a system implemented where a steward would go back to set up to watch WD, WB and BOV break down after their classes. Wins would be disqualified on wigged dogs. I think this would quickly take care of the wigging problem.

Re dying: I know plenty of people who show Blues as Blues and even special them in their natural color. Frankly, it boggles my mind that you would dye a dog Black, special it, and then feature it in the Silver/Blue edition of Poodle Variety.

Finally, a word about dying a Blue dog black....... I have shown Blacks in their natural color and when people bring dyed Black dogs into the ring, it makes my natural Blacks look bad because the natural color is never as dark or consistent as the dyed colors. This is unfair, especially when your dog isn't even a real Black.

I think if you have a Specials quality bitch then that Poodle should be good enough to win on her own merits. Best of luck with your Special. Will she be showing in Colorado? What is her name?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Please do not come here posting comments about this forum being a place where wiggies should not be discussed. This is the appropriate place for it being it is in the Show category. I understand completely anyone whose stand is to go "All Natural" but I am not planning to do that this time around. Wiggies, Dyes, Chalks, etc are ALL used in the show ring. This information I'm sure can all be very shocking to those that do not realize what many show dogs actually undergo. I am not a huge fan of this but I plan to Special my dog for a short while and intend on using some of the tricks of the trade. She is a blue and is not yet three years old. Anyone that is familiar with blues knows that they undergo an ugly brown color as they clear. It resembles oxidized hair and is not usually very pretty to look at. After several opinions of whether or not to dye her we decided to let the handler do it. So, she will be finished as a black but she is truly blue and will be featured in the Silver and Blue addition this month of Poodle Variety where many of the blues will be obviously dyed as well=) I did put her first few points on her as a blue and with NO TRICKS but it wasn't easy. As far as the question about her puppies goes...i'm not sure I understand what you are asking but she is a blue and is registered as such.

I may know someone who can help pm sent

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
It's a shame that color seem to be such an issue in poodles :( If more people, like youself, would STOP dying dogs it would STOP being such an issue. Judges would have more of these dogs to look at and sure you'd have some who would still be black and white judges but they would be fewer. Chalk is one thing, all over dye is another. That's not a mild cosmetic cover up or a slight enhancement or even a "trick of the trade". It's cheating. Read your rules and regs book, if you don't have a copy request one, you can get them for free.
I am, (and it's rather ironic is it not) super against dying dogs, for the show ring at least. It's a problem in a bunch of different breeds :(

Now that said, I do want to know what your handle is planning to use to dye your dog black since I am into creative grooming and always looking to see what dyes hold up and which do not. :rolffleyes:

cbrand, one wonder's why judges themselves don't feel for wigs. How easy is it to find one anyway? I know there are alot of bands in a topknot as it is. I'm gonna ask this question b/c now I am curious.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
. As far as the question about her puppies goes...i'm not sure I understand what you are asking but she is a blue and is registered as such.
I was just curious because I have heard of breeders with "bad blacks" that dyed their dogs to win and continued the practice for using them as studs. Now, I realize yours is a bitch, not a dog, but I did not know if she had been registered as a blue or a black as a pup. And, it just seems strange to me to think of people coming to see mom and pups, having a pretty blue girl clipped into a comfy utility clip with pups and being shown a black bitch in full conti hair in a winners picture and saying, this is her.

Obviously, you have every right to try and do what you want to for showing your girl, but I agree with what others have said, if more people didn't do this type of stuff, then the judges would have to choose the best put together poodle instead of the best "looking" due to hair and color. I wish you the best with specialing your girl but I don't care for the practice, that's all.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
WOW!!! I never cease to be amazed!

I breed reds and cannot get over the number of red breeders who enhance the colour of their dogs by doctoring photos, dyeing the dogs, using colour enhancing shampoos...the entire practice pevves me to no end. THAT is all I am saying oon the topic.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I think what Harley Chick meant was this isn't an appropriate place for you to ask to buy one
theres a section that the Admin and Mods are working on where things can be sold/bought that isn't yet open

...at least thats the way I interrupted what she was saying
((if its not what you meant I'm sorry HC >.< ))

many of the forum members ((and poodle owners not on the forum)) are SUPER against wigs...because they aren't a real part of the dog
....It says forum, not thread. Just saying:eek:hwell: I agree many here are against, but some also do alter things with their dogs. The majority rule - so they just dont say much.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
....It says forum, not thread. Just saying:eek:hwell:
Technically, Keith was correct in his terminology... Just saying! :) This is the Poodle Forum - within the Poodle Forum are subforums (that we can still call forums) like "Site News and Information" is a forum for announcements and feedback, "Poodle Forums" which is a forum that deals with all Poodles, "Poodle Training & Obedience" and "General Discussion" are two other forums for example...

People can choose a "forum" to start their "thread". I think Keith was suggesting that this thread be in the "Classifieds" forum (which is correct terminology) but the Classifieds forum isn't quite up and running yet... workin' on it! :)

Sorry for the voluminous description - but now you know something new! :)

Carry on!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts