Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing references that say it's necessary to keep water out of a poodle's ears when grooming to prevent ear infections. But aren't poodles "water dogs"? Somehow I can't see Joe Hunter sticking cotton in his poodle's ears right before the dog jumps into the pond after a bird.

Given that my mini has yeast infections in both ears right now (wah!), it's clear that poodles' ears need a lot more attention than this novice owner ever expected. It just doesn't make sense to me given their heritage.

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I don't do that. If you have a good ear solution that dries the ears out, you get better results with that than with trying to keep water out.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Wow I have always done the cotton .. Trying to keep water out, with the thinking to prevent infection ... Thanks for posting this article..

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I always use cotton balls as Riley got a terrible middle ear infection when an old groomer got water in his ears. Never had a problem since.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've never used cotton either, but the solution I use is drying. I've seen one show handler rinse her dogs ears with Dawn and then alcohol. They were really nice and clean, but I don't know that I would do that a lot.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Me too so I am glad to hear you say that you do too.. I do rince out with the blue ear stuff if they are stinky . but that is not very often .....I too had a horrible experience with ears ...

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vet gave me a bottle of Tri-Otic Ointment, with instructions to use twice daily. What he didn't tell me is how to get Beau to stand still while I try to squirt a little blob of thick goo into his ear! Contains: Gentamicin Sulfate, Betamethasone Valerate, and Clotrimazole. The latter I recognize as the active ingredient in Lotramin, a common anti-fungal athlete's foot cream.

What do you folks think about this stuff?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
When vets flush the ears they get water in them anyway...as long as you use a good cleaner it should dry it up just fine. At least that's what I was told.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Water doesn't cause ear infections! Ear infections come from bacteria or yeast and while it's always been assumed that water in the ears caused an infection, it was probably more likely that there was some yeast or bacteria present that flourished when there was water LEFT in ear after bathing. It's important to let the dog shake his head to sling out an water that might have gotten in there. It's also important to use a DRY cotton pad or ball or whatever and wipe the ear out after cleaning/bathing. I try to stay AWAY from alcohol in the ears because it's very irritating and can burn a sensitive ear. I've found that a nice healthy ear with no junk in it, is best left ALONE and just wiped out. I don't put any cleaners in an ear that looks nice and pink because I don't want to mess with the "environment" that seems to be working all by itself.

I use a witch hazel based ear cleaner as it SOOTHS and still cleans. As for cotton, it just acts as a WICK that draws more water down into the ear canal, so I don't use it.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Leu - The 3 ingredients are antibiotic + cortisol (anti-inflammatory) + anti fungal medicine.

I would not use that stuff on regular bases - only to clear up infection for 7-10 days since microbes can develop resistance if products like that. :rolffleyes:

What are the names of those products that everybody uses for "drying" , than that hazelnut solution and other one the Kpoos uses : )) with aromatic oil ???

:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Placing cotton balls in the ear during bathing could actually be drawing water into the ear, because the cotton ball acts as a wic.

I clean ears twice a month with 50/50 Witch Hazel and vinegar, with only minimal plucking, and using no powder at all. I use CC's Michelangelo Sculpting Stones to grasp the hair. We haven't had an ear infection in 8 yrs.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Placing cotton balls in the ear during bathing could actually be drawing water into the ear, because the cotton ball acts as a wic.

I clean ears twice a month with 50/50 Witch Hazel and vinegar, with only minimal plucking, and using no powder at all. I use CC's Michelangelo Sculpting Stones to grasp the hair. We haven't had an ear infection in 8 yrs.
Is that stone like a stripping stone ? Do you have a pic?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm "Jane hunter" and I do not put cotton in my dogs ears when they swim. That said, I only feed foods that do not contain wheat, soy, or corn (known allergens to many dogs). I do not shave their faces all the way to the corner of their ear canal as groomers are taught to do. I stop clipping about 1 inch in front of the ear and let that hair grow about 3/4 -1 inch long. I've found that this little bit of hair prevents cold dirty pond water from letting into the ear by forming an air pocket when the dogs dive for ducks. I keep the ears shaved short and pluck the hair deep in the ears regularly. My dogs ears are pink, dry, have no odor or problems.

·
Registered
440 Posts
our family has been using a solution from the vet for 13+ years: Vet Solutions (Vet Solutions Inc, Forth Worth TX), Ear Cleaning Solution for Dogs and cats
-cleans, dries, acidifies, deodorizes, contains aloe vera

my dog has never had ear issues (6 years) my sister's poodle and my brother's cockapoo both had ear infections last year, but I blame it on my mom for not keeping up with cleaning their ears

it does say "Always apply after swimming"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts