Poodle Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I found out today that the ASCA (Australian Shepherd Club of America) will also title poodles in herding.
Sigh I have learned I was misinformed the ASCA does not title poodles :Cry:

Of course my local herding co op is associated with groups that do ASCA, AKC and AHBA. AHBA does title poodles as AHBA considers Poodles a "Multipurpose Breeds With A Herding Background" Our instructor says for us to get 3 lessons under our belt before making any decisions about what direction we want to take in herding ie just a fun day with the dog, trial locally or get really into titles and trials with the dog.

We have one lesson under belt and came home with a list of commands to work on learning...

Of course Apollo was like hey these are new smells and then would do OH yeah goats herd wait what is that smell... It was really foggy so my son only managed to get a little bit of video. We were working on "Go Bye" in this snippet.
Apollo lesson 1

·
Premium Member
22,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Pella I am so psyched to know that this has you inspired to play in the rally ring. I hope you find a great class and have lots of fun.

Even on days when things don't go as planned (as they didn't for us today) it is still a better day to have spent it with Lily and/or peeves and all my dog show friends than to do almost anything else.

·
Premium Member
22,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
No I hadn't heard about her, but that sounds like quite a team building training program to get there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi - i didn't do this intensive training with my first standard poodle (who passed in Aug 2018) but I'm hoping to do so with my next dog since I'll be getting a puppy this time instead of a rescue poodle. I don't know if it will be rally/obedience/agility/sheep herding or some other thing... I'm still learning what's available and accessible in my area (Seattle)> Do you have suggestions of qualities I should look out for in a puppy? I don't feel the need to be super competitive in whatever sport we do, it's more intended for us to have structured activity together since I also want a dog who leans more towards being calm and companionship oriented rather than strictly play/activity motivated. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
22,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
dancingbird there are some people who specifically look for breeders that aim for producing performance puppies, but I don't think that is necessary or even necessarily desirable since a very drivey dog can be a handful to live with if you don't want to try for an Obedience Trial or Master Agility Champion (OTCh/MACh). Since the time I started this thread I have acquired a 2nd standard poodle who is also being trained for obedience. That is my dog Javelin. He is a very smart and biddable dog. He is on the way to potentially being an OTCh. He is from a very good breeder, but not a specifically performance oriented breeder. He has Ale Kai in his pedigree so is a very nicely built dog, but more importantly I think is that he is a happy and well adjusted boy, so he is interested in and adept at learning new things.

I would tell the breeders to whom you speak what your goals are. I would also look to see that the breeders you get seriously interested in are doing some sort of sporting activity with their dogs, conformation at least (good build and confident temperament comes with that), but if they do obedience or other sports as well so much the better.

As long as you have a well built, healthy pup and start doing fun interesting training games with the pup early you will develop a good partnership and help the pup to develop interests and abilities for great learning. If you are interested in seeing what kinds of work I have done in training Javelin please look at this thread. https://www.poodleforum.com/24-performance-agility-obedience-hunting/205393-javelins-road-ring-ready.html

I wish you success in finding a lovely puppy and that you take the plunge to do lots of fun things with him (or her).

61 - 68 of 68 Posts