Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've been perusing a few (ok more like a bazillion) breeder websites I've noticed most standard and miniature breeders don't list their dogs' height and weight. Why do you guys think this is? I know in pictures it is sometimes hard to tell the relative scale of a dog, especially in full coat. Just speaking as someone who would like a larger miniature or smaller standard someday (if only kleinpudels were not so often only available through doodle breeders...sigh) it would be nice to know the actual sizes of the dogs in the breeder program - because terms like "large" and "small" are so individual.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
You know, it never occurred to me to put that on my web site. I think it is a good idea though.

Note... I doubt that any good Mini breeders are going to fess up to the fact that their dogs routinely go oversized. :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
If you're looking at breeders who show in conformation, you may have better luck finding a nice oversized mini, since so many minis are right up against the 15" limit. I think it is a shame that we have this "no man's land" of 15-20" in standards, but any standard breeder who shows is going to try to stick to the 20-26" range.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I wish there was a 4th size too. Question is though... would it be populated with Oversized Minis, Mini/Standard Xs, or Standards who were bred down? I wonder what type would be preferred?

Edited to add that I think the Standard for this size should be 15-19" since folks are always pushing the upper limits of the size anyway

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joins in wishing for a fourth size. Personally, I love the longer lines that I see in standards - it seems that some mini breeders are breeding dogs with shorter legs/necks then what I would normally associate with poodles. But that is just my own personal conformation pet peeve.

Cbrand - hahahaha - I suspect you are right about the minis.

Mind you I say all this and watch I fall in love with some poor mini with achondroplasia.

·
Registered
997 Posts
If you read judges' comments, most seem to feel that minis are still catching up and quality is thinner on the whole in minis than in standards. So my guess is that smaller standards would carry the day if a fourth size were allowed. Maybe breeders would start breeding their smaller bitches to smaller males, instead of trying to move back to the middle by breeding them to larger boys.

But while we're fantasizing, I do get chin/underjaw envy whenever I look at a nice mini, LOL.

I wonder what type would be preferred?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
totally agree- when looking for my aussies- for flyball size matters to me- i dont' want the 22" 50lb female- i want the 18-19" bitch who is closer to 35lbs. Makes me faster...

·
Registered
69 Posts
You know, it never occurred to me to put that on my web site. I think it is a good idea though.

Note... I doubt that any good Mini breeders are going to fess up to the fact that their dogs routinely go oversized. :)
Cbrand - What is your website address please? I'd love to see your dogs :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yes. I have commented before on this board that before I came on here and got more education, I decided I wanted a Standard poodle that was 16/17 inches at the shoulder. I'd looked at the breed standard but at the time I didn't realize that you just cannot find a Standard poodle that size. You can if you look hard enough, find Klein or Moyen poodles, but they are few and far between.

I agree, it would be nice to have a fourth size in between a Mini and a Standard. Mind you, if I could find an oversized Mini that would suit me fine, I certainly wouldn't care because I am only interested in obedience and agility.

I am getting my Mini towards the end of July. The breeder says she will be about 15 inches, so I am HOPING that she is.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Even with the toys it is an issue. I wish with them people posted the wieghts there too and a lot of people seemed to be breeding small minis to toys....not sure how the pedigrees can/cannot mesh? Anyways, with looking for a toy specificly in the 9-10 inches tall catagory was difficult, especially with being on the fence with wanting to show or not. But we still found our girl after lots of screening. :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have had the same complaint about the breeder sites.... I find it especially difficult with the minis to get a sense of size since there is such a small range in their size- they all basically look the same in pix!

We ended up looking for a large mini and ours is just at 15"-15.5"

I have also checked out the moyen/klein option but it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I'd love to find some standards around the 18"-20" range!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll add my vote for a fourth size (not that it will accomplish anything, lol). I'd like to find a poodle 12"-18" at the withers, which probably means a mini. Unfortunately few people seem to breed miniatures; the current interest seems to be in teacup toys and large standards, both well outside the range I'm interested in. I'd like a dog small enough to cuddle on the couch with, but large enough to go hiking through the woods with. The kleinpudel would be ideal, but since Americans don't breed for anything like that I may have to adjust my parameters and get a toy.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Karbit have poodles in the size you are looking for. They have 17 and 18 inch puppies for sale right now. Various colours too.

Home

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'll add my vote for a fourth size (not that it will accomplish anything, lol). I'd like to find a poodle 12"-18" at the withers, which probably means a mini. Unfortunately few people seem to breed miniatures; the current interest seems to be in teacup toys and large standards, both well outside the range I'm interested in. I'd like a dog small enough to cuddle on the couch with, but large enough to go hiking through the woods with. The kleinpudel would be ideal, but since Americans don't breed for anything like that I may have to adjust my parameters and get a toy.
What do you consider a large standard ? The average seems to be around 25 inches, both mine are that size and they are ideal to cuddle with and go for a hike with.
There are a few really good mini breeders out there, some friends of mine got a stunning mini out of Florida

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you look at a show breeder of minis, many of their lines are just under the 15 inch mark, some of their puppies might be over the 15 inch mark. Most mini breeders who show are looking for larger end of the spectrum dogs, they are more likely to win. My mini is on the larger end of the spectrum, and so are many other minis from show lines.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Snorpuddel, I consider a 25" dog to be "large". That's not a bad thing, and it doesn't mean the dog can't have a place on the couch, but it's bigger than I want. My last two purebreds were English mastiffs, and I occasionally shared the couch with them. I'm looking for something more portable though.

A mini would probably be ideal for me, but they are relatively difficult to find. I don't like the idea of shipping a puppy, even though I know people do it all the time. However I'm willing to drive several hours to check out a puppy if I find a likely prospect. I'm not in a huge hurry. I have to travel out of town (unavoidable) later this month and again in September, so I will not be able to give a puppy the full attention it needs until the end of next month anyway.

·
Registered
551 Posts
A mini would probably be ideal for me, but they are relatively difficult to find. I don't like the idea of shipping a puppy, even though I know people do it all the time. However I'm willing to drive several hours to check out a puppy if I find a likely prospect. I'm not in a huge hurry. I have to travel out of town (unavoidable) later this month and again in September, so I will not be able to give a puppy the full attention it needs until the end of next month anyway.
My friends in Texas got a puppy from Karadale in Florida, she is gorgeous. If you don't want to fly a puppy, which I understand, they flew to Florida to bring her home, you could contact the breeder and see if she knows of any breeders she would recommend in your area.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts