Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about my little rant, but I can't stand for a dog to be left alone this much.

First of all I just want to ask. What is the point in getting a dog if you are never going to be home with the dog?

Our neighbors got a new small poodle type dog. And well as we all know poodles need companionship, they aren't the type of dog that you can just leave alone for hours at a time.

Well the dog barks constantly, like 15 hours out of 24 hours a day. The dog finally stops when the owner comes home. And the dog is loud.

I mean my poodle Zachary used to have a major barking problem due to separation anxiety but he well we never left him nearly that long (I'm a soon to be stay at home mom and during the pregnancy well I haven't been able to work)

Anyways he has overcome most of his issues and only barks for about 2 or 3 minutes when we leave.

But I don't get how a dog can be that loud. I mean Zachary when he would bark, no one said they could hear him inside their apartment. (and I had some very patient neighbors while training him) He just never barked very loud. But this dog you can hear inside your apartment and everything, including outside in the breezeway and across the parking lot.

I really have no right to be irritated about a dog that has a barking problem and the barking doesn't bother me that much, but what bothers me is they most likely aren't working with the little guy to get him over his anxietys, you know.

I'm just a little concerned for the little guy being alone so much. And well everyone is getting very annoyed with this dog.

I try to just block it out because I know Zachary used to be a barker and I had some very patient neighbors (then again they claimed they couldn't hear him)

But I just wonder if this dog is getting any exercise at all. He is only quiet though when the owners are home.

Again I know how much a poodle needs companionship so my heart goes out to the little guy.

But seriously why get a dog if you aren't going to spend anytime with him?

Again sorry for the rant but I just had to get this off my mind.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the worst part is after going through this with my Zachary (and he was only left home alone maybe 4 hours a day tops), I totally get why the dog is barking. But no one understands, I'm sure everyone just sees the dog as a nuisance and ofcourse the owners are never there but to sleep really.
Its so sad

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
That's how I feel about people leaving their pets outside all the time. The only reason I think that this would be the situation is it the pet prefered being outside. There's dogs around here that are ALWAYS outside regardless of the weather, that drives me nuts. Again, why even have a dog? You know there has to be a couple days out of the week that no one goes outside to feed or water the dog or even give it attention.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's how I feel about people leaving their pets outside all the time. The only reason I think that this would be the situation is it the pet prefered being outside. There's dogs around here that are ALWAYS outside regardless of the weather, that drives me nuts. Again, why even have a dog? You know there has to be a couple days out of the week that no one goes outside to feed or water the dog or even give it attention.

Yeah that sucks too. My dad has 2 dogs he keeps outside all the time. Luckily they get plenty of exercise and attention. They would be inside dogs but my teen sis about 5 years ago developed terrible allergies to dogs and he didn't want to part with them. they have dog houses and a huge kennel run and when it gets cold they go in the barn.

But still I hate that for them. And I worry about them when it gets hot and when it gets cold. I couldn't leave any of my dogs outside, even if the preferred it

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The people across the street have a mini poodle (intact male) whose time outside consists of being attached to a chain link fence, on concrete, with a six foot leash. And they wonder why he runs away every chance he gets. I would too!

·
Super Moderator
1,478 Posts
I don't get it either. We never had a fenced in yard when I was growing up. The dogs got WALKED, several times a day. Healthy for the dog, healthy for the human. It kind of irks me that some rescues won't let you adopt a dog unless you fence in your yard.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I don't get it either. We never had a fenced in yard when I was growing up. The dogs got WALKED, several times a day. Healthy for the dog, healthy for the human. It kind of irks me that some rescues won't let you adopt a dog unless you fence in your yard.
OH ME TOO! Amazing how the thought process goes into some of these decisions.....most people adopting are doing it for the right reasons - people that are want in on a fad or moment of wanting a dog - will not go through the process.

And I agree, WHY HAVE A DOG if you are NOT going to be with them.....it's only creating future issues....and I WOULD NOT allow a neighbor to get away with that, I would tell them they have to address the issue.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I do agree with you there..

Its not like you can have a dog just when you want to have it and keep it in the closet while you are working and take it out when you want to play.

And the one thing poodle's don't like is begin away from there owner.

My Cavalier did really not care that much if she was left alone at home she would just jump in to the comfy sofa and chill until we came home and the labrador he was the same.

But Dima well she was not happy at all but it got better as she got older.

Now I am a stay at home dog mom so they are almost never alone more then one hour a day.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would have to say that people like me and you guys are a very very small amount of dog owners.

The fact is most dog owners have dogs who are just that...dogs, they stay outside, they eat outside, the eat whatever is on sale at the time, they are lucky to get a bath every once in awhile, etc...

Many of these dogs may or may not be unhappy, if it's all they know and they have food/water/shelter that I honestly don't have too much of an issue with it. My parents were like that for quite awhile, our first dog pretty much lived outside but she was very comfortable. She had a dog house with hay and cedar chips to keep her warm in the winter and we had a nice patio with fans during the summer as well as a small dog pool always filled with fresh water.

She ate outside, she still went out for walks, to the vet, with us to the pet store to buy food but that's really about it. We fed Purina Dog Chow because my parents didn't know better and I was too young to really care to be honest, but she was very well loved. I don't think it makes my parents bad dog owners, just that they were the average dog owner.

To us dogs are part of the family, included in most things we do. I take my dogs with me where I can auto parts stores, home depot, lowes, the pet stores, feed stores, etc... so many places allow dogs if you just ask. Again though we are a very small amount of dog owners.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would have to say that people like me and you guys are a very very small amount of dog owners.

The fact is most dog owners have dogs who are just that...dogs, they stay outside, they eat outside, the eat whatever is on sale at the time, they are lucky to get a bath every once in awhile, etc...

Many of these dogs may or may not be unhappy, if it's all they know and they have food/water/shelter that I honestly don't have too much of an issue with it. My parents were like that for quite awhile, our first dog pretty much lived outside but she was very comfortable. She had a dog house with hay and cedar chips to keep her warm in the winter and we had a nice patio with fans during the summer as well as a small dog pool always filled with fresh water.

She ate outside, she still went out for walks, to the vet, with us to the pet store to buy food but that's really about it. We fed Purina Dog Chow because my parents didn't know better and I was too young to really care to be honest, but she was very well loved. I don't think it makes my parents bad dog owners, just that they were the average dog owner.

To us dogs are part of the family, included in most things we do. I take my dogs with me where I can auto parts stores, home depot, lowes, the pet stores, feed stores, etc... so many places allow dogs if you just ask. Again though we are a very small amount of dog owners.

My biggest issue though is, if you live in a area full of other people that close to you like in an apartment, and you have a dog with barking issues. Our of respect for the people around you you need to work with that dog and help the dog over these issues....one for the dog and 2 out of respect for the people that live around you.

And that is what I can't stand....Why get a dog, knowing full well you aren't going to spend time with it....or be home. And just leave that poor creature to bark all day and worse to disturb everyone else around you....you know.

Its about principle...one the dog doesn't deserve that and 2, your neighbors didn't sign on to be bothered with barking all day and night.

Its one thing if you are working to correct and another to just let it go on.

I know they know because we overheard an argument between them and another neighbor who does have an issue with the barking.

It just sucks all the way around.

That is almost worse than keeping a dog outside.....keeping a dog inside all day with no interaction with humans, animals or even daylight in the outside world.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was just having a similay discustion with one of my neighbors about another neighbor's dogs. The neighbors have 2 blue heelers and a lab. The male blue heeler is very aggressive toward dogs and humans to the point where he charged onto my property twice. The first time he bit my shar pei and tore her skin so she needed to have 8 staples. My shar pei didn't do a thing to to the dog, even to defend herself. I beat the dog off of her and his owners still havent forgiven me for hitting their dog even though he was trying to rip my dog to peices at the time. I would have gladly gotten ahold of the owners instead.
The second time, he bit my daughter when she was trying to get in our car and her back was toward him. This just happened this week. She luckily didnt need stitches but does have a punture and a lot of bruising.

I believe the dog has so much aggression because he is almost never outside. He is stuck in their tiny house all the time except for 15 min a day...combined time. He goes out with the owner to pee/poo then right back in. No playing no relaxing, no going for walks, nothing. It's the quickest potty trips I have ever seen. A dog like a blue heeler needs to work off some energy and Im sure without that chance has a lot of pent up aggression.

One of the owners is always home so he probably gets a lot of attention, but he needs more than that. Poor dog. They have 3 dogs who are not meant to be pent up like that. If they wanted an apartment like dog they should have gotten breeds more suitable for their lifestyle.

·
Registered
235 Posts
True. No breed of dog wants that little human contact. I imagine the poor boy has probably developed a lot of anxiety from being on is own so much all the time. Poodles are an extra social breed.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Mercury, you should report that do to AC! Biting anyone, especially a child is seriously and it will only get worse. If the owners are more upset about you hitting the dog than it's behavior, they shouldn't own him or any dog IMO. They don't get it!

·
Super Moderator
1,478 Posts
Mercury, you should report that do to AC! Biting anyone, especially a child is seriously and it will only get worse. If the owners are more upset about you hitting the dog than it's behavior, they shouldn't own him or any dog IMO. They don't get it!
I agree. Two unprovoked attacks indicate their dog is turning into a public menace. My town has a three strikes rule: three unprovoked bites and the dog is outta here.

Poor pooch. Keeping a cowdog cooped up like that really is a form of abuse. If they can't give it some cows to herd,;) they should at least be doing flyball or something with it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I agree about not getting a dog if you're never going to be a home with the dog. But work somehow gets in the way, especially if that's your only means of support and have to be gone 8 hrs/day. My life is much richer with Rebel, and his life with me is much better I'm sure than his little life was on the streets. Don't know if there's a good solution to being gone while at work, but while he was a puppy, I came home at lunch to walk him. He seems to have adjusted and maybe regards my schedule as normal (?). Also, he has a cat and kitten to keep him company and, hopefully, a poodle puppy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree about not getting a dog if you're never going to be a home with the dog. But work somehow gets in the way, especially if that's your only means of support and have to be gone 8 hrs/day. My life is much richer with Rebel, and his life with me is much better I'm sure than his little life was on the streets. Don't know if there's a good solution to being gone while at work, but while he was a puppy, I came home at lunch to walk him. He seems to have adjusted and maybe regards my schedule as normal (?). Also, he has a cat and kitten to keep him company and, hopefully, a poodle puppy.

Yes but there is a difference between work getting in the way.

You work 8 hours, no big deal in my book. You come home take the dog for a walk or to play at the park or something like that (assuming you are in an apartment and don't have a yard though even with a yard I feel walks are important). No big deal.

But when you get up go to work for 8 hours. Come home for 10 minutes to change your clothes, do not even let the dog out, and leave to go out with friends clubbing and what not until late at night every day......that is where the problem lies....the dog obviously isn't a top priority.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You're so right. To choose not to spend time with your pet on a routine, day-after-day or 3-4 days-out-of-the-week basis, after being gone all day, does prove you really don't value your family member. And what's the point of having them?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is worse when you see that person on their day off, leave with the boat at 7 am and not come back at all until after dark and you hear the poor dog screaming all day long. Thats always the worst (these people haven't done that yet but it seems if they ever have a day off they aren't here) But at my old apartment our next door neighbor got a blue heeler.

She would get up go to work, come home for an hour, take the dog to pee, come right back in (also she was hiding the dog, or so she thought, so she didn't have to pay pet rent.....she eventually got caught) So anyways she never took the dog out on walks or anything. She went out with the girls everyday after work and on Saturday and Sunday she headed on the boat only coming home late at night. The dog would cry the whole time she was gone, she did start leaving her patio door open, and then she finally rehomed the dog after her ate through her wall.

The whole time we lived next to them while that dog was there, my two would lay by our wall that was next to their unit and all sad like, it almost seemed like they were trying to comfort it.

Its just really sad. (By the way my Zachary really hated this dogs owner, to the point he would bark at her any chance he got outside. I think he knew she wasn't treating her dog right because that was not normal for him to act like that)

The dog looked malnourished too when it finally got a new home.

Stuff like that just drives me nuts. If you aren't going to spend time with your dog and properly care for you dog, again why have one?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts