Poodle Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My biggest concern for those of you who have dogs riding loose in the car is their safety! I don't happen to crate my poodles in the car, but they do wear sleepypod harnesses and are restrained safely. My main reason for not crating in the car is that Lily always got car sick in a crate in the way back. I think she was uncomfortable with riding over the axle.

Peggy is wonderful in her crate at night, but we've never used one for transport. She does tend to pace in the backseat, never wanting to miss out on what's happening outside the windows. Should we be crating her in the car, too? If so, is soft-sided best?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
My biggest concern for those of you who have dogs riding loose in the car is their safety! I don't happen to crate my poodles in the car, but they do wear sleepypod harnesses and are restrained safely. My main reason for not crating in the car is that Lily always got car sick in a crate in the way back. I think she was uncomfortable with riding over the axle.
I agree, but I've read SO much conflicting information on the topic! It doesn't seem like there are any truly safe restraint options out there, especially for large dogs. But I'll look into the Sleepypod. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Babykins didn't seem to react to this dog being inside her crate. Our cats have slept in her crate and my daughter's rough collie once got stuck in her crate trying to get her pizzle stick back from my sneaky dog. I could see with some dog's this could be a serious problem. Definitely rude.

I have that pop up crate too. When I purchased it, it was hard to find to buy, Clean Run and Amazon wasn't selling it. I have the large size for my minipoo. https://www.cleanrun.com/product/large_pop_crate_for_dogs/index.cfm?ParentCat=1089 There's only one other person who I occasionally see at trials that uses them. People watch me when I "pop" them open or "twist" them shut because it's novel.

I also have an Elitefield dog crate, similar to other canvas crates like Noz2Noz. These are heavier than my pop crate. I too have problems with aligning and setting up that steel tube frame. With the pop up crate, there are two straps that you release and the crate twists open like magic .To close it you twist it close and snap the strap clasps. I bought it because my dog learned to open the zipper by poking her nail and splitting it open. I was in a walk through for a rally trail and discovered my dog was outside her crate looking for me Oops. She can't open this metal grid door. I also like that I can hang a pail of water from the door so I don't have to worry about spills. It's very light weight and not a good choice for dogs that don't respect a crate, it's easy for a dog to move this crate. I have a nice foam mat to place inside since it's basically a thin layer of material. Plus I can squeeze it under the tray table of my picnic chair.

The pop up and canvas crates are not appropriate or safe to keep your dog in a moving vehicle. Neither are most of the metal crates people use. https://www.centerforpetsafety.org/test-results/ I highly recommend all dog owners to read through this website. I wish they had enough money to continue testing all the dog vehicle restraints on the market but they don't.

Please watch this video -
Don't assume when companies say their harness is safe, that it is and don't assume because they claim they tested it, that it's safe.

The worst is assuming that your dog is safe in a crate. Most of these crates that appear "safe" and "strong" are pretty flimsy and it doesn't take much for them to break, open collapse, etc if your car is hit. Those crates do work well when you're not in an accident - but it's the accident we have to be prepared for. The concern is not only your dog being injured, but your dog becoming a flying projectile that can injure people in the car as well as be thrown from the vehicle. There are safe crates, but you need to research to find a good choice.

I use a sleepypod harness for my dog when driving.

·
Premium Member
22,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Peggy a harness with a tether at the very least keeps your dog from climbing through to the front seat and interfering with your driving. That by itself matters.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I know I know. We've been here before. Yesterday though at the rally trials at my club (and also recently at a couple of other trial locations) I have had things happen around me that really bother me because they were pretty easily avoided if people knew the value of a crate for their dog. And this just doesn't apply to dog shows, it will matter to anyone who travels to hotels with their dogs too.

The thing that most directly impacted Lily and me was a person with a dog of similar size to Lily waiting to go into the novice ring. There was no crate and the dog kept approaching and nosing at Lily's crate (a soft crate). She was pretty chill, but I was concerned that the dog was going to jump up and wreck the crate which would have really undone Lily for the last class we had to run. I nicely asked to person to keep her dog away from Lily (there was room), so she took the dog up on her lap where the dog continued to obsess about Lily and just generally was getting more and more charged up, so much so that as I took Lily out for our advanced run the dog jumped on Lily with a fair amount of reactivity as the woman said something about her dog having been dying to know who was in the crate. Thankfully I got Lily out of the way without any apparent consequence since she ran a nice course, but just what had this woman been thinking? I didn't pay any attention to her run, but I can't imagine it was pretty.

There were other novice handlers with no crates at our trials yesterday as well as at several other recent trials we've entered. None of these dogs were very organized at the start line and some of them just had horrible runs that I think could have been better if the dogs had been in better mental focus states when they went in the ring.

So there's the part related to showing, but for everyone we should remember that being away from home is hard for dogs even if the places they go are fun. I think one way to bring in stability and a sense of normalcy is to have crate training and the ability to relax in it as a core life skill. Even if you don't routinely have your dog use its crate in your home it should be something they can rely on as their safe space.
You are so right. When traveling with dogs to public places, such as dog shows, hotels. Our dogs should be crated. They should not be interacting with other dogs. Back 40 years ago when showing mini schnauzers it was pretty much the rule. The nadler I had for my dog was a great person and was teaching me, so I went to a couple shows with her and she had several dogs traveling with us. All dogs in hotel were crated. As she said back then, this is't our home, and many things could happen, dog could escape or damage things they weren't ours. Even though many of the dogs got along, stuff can happen. It is truly unfair and I think when someone allows their dog into your space without invitation it is rude and says to me they feel entitled. One must respect another persons place. Kinda what I see happening all around today in many venues of life.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I finally had to just train my spoo to lay quietly beside me. I have terrible arthritis and never found a single crate that I could put up and take down myself. I looked for months. It was terribly discouraging. It had to be big enough for a 26" poodle.

Does anyone know of a very simple one to use? Imagine you only have the strength of a 4 year old to be able to to set up and take down.
If I remember correctly your st poodle is trained and is a certified service dog. So I think in that circumstance you don't require a crate while traveling. Plus it seems to me you are a person who respects others and wouldn't allow your dog in their space. I have a 42 inch crate for Renn. He will stay in it quietly. Though he now balks at going in. I was putting him in at night to sleep and its stationary in our kitchen so no m moving it around. I no longer use it, he is safe and doesn't destroy the house anymore, plus he sleeps all stretched out or in weird positions so it was no longer comfortable. But I do know I can put him in if the need arose for an ER. My old chihuahua who is 17 now spends most of his day in his crate. He was crate trained as a pup though not by me he was a recycled dog, and when he damaged his neck discs and had surgery it was certainly good as he had a long recovery.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yes, he is a Service Dog, standard poodle. He is also totally crate trained for at home. However I have only shut his crate door 3 times other than for his initial training. Two times were to protect him from kids who had come to visit and would not leave him alone! Another time was with a house packed with party people who were tripping over him. He loves his crate and goes there voluntarily.

I would still like to find a super easy to put up crate. I am not kidding about the 4 year old strength equivalent. I often cannot even open a door knob, or undo his collar or anything with those plastic clip fasteners that need to be squeezed to be undone. Twisting is out too. When my arthritis is really bad I have a hard time writing!

'Easy' for most people is normally un-doable for me.

·
Premium Member
22,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
kontiki you might find something like this to be useful for you. They are light as a feather and since your dog is super well trained escape behaviors are not a worry. You do have to twist it at the end of putting it away, but the resistance to the twist is minimal.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The Beatrice crate only comes in one size. And apparently the dimensions in the listing are not accurate, unless the size has changed since 2017. Even at listed size my Spoo would not be able to stand up.

Comment from user: "December 14, 2017 In the description the dimensions are listed as 32.5 x 25 x 19.5 inches. I measured our current crate to be sure this would fit our dog for traveling. The measurements are NOT correct. The one I received is 32.5 x 18 x 17. It doesn't fit my dog."

·
Premium Member
22,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
kontiki, there are a whole bunch of other very similar crates listed there on Amazon. I am at work and have to go to class soon. I don't have time to comparison shop for you, but as I suggested above something like that one. Scroll down the page you will see that there are others.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I agree, but I've read SO much conflicting information on the topic! It doesn't seem like there are any truly safe restraint options out there, especially for large dogs. But I'll look into the Sleepypod. Thank you!
Center for Pet Safety Crash Videos - Can't have too many if it keeps our dogs safe. Skylar linked the CPC site above for more of these. The Center for Pet Safety and Subaru worked together on these tests. If I remember correctly, these tests are at 30mph.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Otter is fine in a crate at home,and fine in class as long as I am beside him.Hence, I cannot walk a rally course. Craye games was irrelevant,as the problem is not the crate (he is crated while I work),but "mom"not being with him when there are other dogs around. (I guess he thinks I will start playing with THEM at any moment!) This is the main reason we can't compete,tho' his "social butterfly" personality is the second!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts