Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it because it's a harder to find color? It seems like everyone wants a red standard poodle.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Is it because it's a harder to find color? It seems like everyone wants a red standard poodle.
Because its rare :rolffleyes: lol

My sister Liked Silver poodles at first then she saw apricots and really wanted a apricot she then saw a red and was sold. I think the color is amazing.

My sister also wanted one so we could show a good red in the ring and maybe lead up to producing better quality red dogs.

There are only 4 red champion standard poodles in the whole country. The quality of red standards is hard to find. The color is also hard to find because the gene pool is small. Most people do not care about the quality of the dog at all and this is why we have so many poor quality red standard poodles and a lot of the breeders are poor breeders themselves .......

This same thing happens within every breed. Some byb will say is rare then a fad starts ! Look at blue nose pit bulls . It was the biggest craze when a group of breeder decided to dub blue rare ..... I remember when chocolate labs where the biggest craze. White goldens ( english goldens) , White GSD's, White Dobermans etc.... the list goes on.

Red poodles are the latest rage ! :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I also agree with Roxy. I also think the red poodle looks quite strikingly different from what people think a poodle looks like, and maybe causes some who otherwise wouldn't consider the breed to look again. Same with the parti poodles.

IMO, they are really striking. I saw my first red in person the other day, and it made me double take. :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Its the same as everything else that goes in and out of fashion. Look at video games, cell phones you name it there is a current fad and with Poodles its Reds and Tuxedo Parti's.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I have a feeling that there will be a red breeder thread sticky soon lol

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its the same as everything else that goes in and out of fashion. Look at video games, cell phones you name it there is a current fad and with Poodles its Reds and Tuxedo Parti's.
Well, I personally love partis but haven't seen many that are nice conformationally (is that a word). I like red poodles but honestly for me the most striking color is white. Everyone has their opinion of what's best.

I do like brown standards but they are rare too.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Well, I personally love partis but haven't seen many that are nice conformationally (is that a word). I like red poodles but honestly for me the most striking color is white. Everyone has their opinion of what's best.

I do like brown standards but they are rare too.
I think white poodles are stunning also. I really like most poodle colors. My least favorite would probably be black.

I put red and apricots high on my list and silver would be second. If there where more silver beige standards they would be at the top also.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I started with an apricot and she is stunning .At that time there were reds in her litter, I thought that they were lovely, and knew that I had to have one someday . Having owned Irish Setters all my life the Red Standard Poodle just seemed to fit :)
I have a Red that is currently being exibited AKC in the BRED BY class (Time permitting) is she "THE BEST" out there ? I think she is :) I have seen and exhibited with some stunning blacks and Whites ....But then they have been at the breeding of the color for a very long time. Reds have been around but not recognized by the AKC until the 80's. So we can only go from there , not knowing how many were called Apricots that were perhaps Red ..I do think there are several Red Breeders that are really trying very hard to breed conformationally correct health Red Standard Poodles . That are testing for genetics and are selective about what they breed ....Just because a dog is an AKC champion does not make it healthy or of breeding quality . Trust me I learned that the hard way in Irish Setters. Are they a fad? Not for me !!!
So these are my thoughts not sticky at all.... Just facts....

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I started with an apricot and she is stunning .At that time there were reds in her litter, I thought that they were lovely, and knew that I had to have one someday . Having owned Irish Setters all my life the Red Standard Poodle just seemed to fit :)
I have a Red that is currently being exibited AKC in the BRED BY class (Time permitting) is she "THE BEST" out there ? I think she is :) I have seen and exhibited with some stunning blacks and Whites ....But then they have been at the breeding of the color for a very long time. Reds have been around but not recognized by the AKC until the 80's. So we can only go from there , not knowing how many were called Apricots that were perhaps Red ..I do think there are several Red Breeders that are really trying very hard to breed conformationally correct health Red Standard Poodles . That are testing for genetics and are selective about what they breed ....Just because a dog is an AKC champion does not make it healthy or of breeding quality . Trust me I learned that the hard way in Irish Setters. Are they a fad? Not for me !!!
So these are my thoughts not sticky at all.... Just facts....
I agree there are some red breeders out there that are trying to breed high quality dogs but the bad red breeders out way them.

I am glad you started to show your reds :D

You own sherocs kennel right ?

Forgot to add that I agree also that just because its akc champion does not Guarantee its health and this is why people need to do research :D

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Thanks Roxy25!!!!!!!!! I hope that I can do some reall good on this forum. I hope to learn from all the folks in the know as well.. So far I have really gotten an Education :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Because its rare :rolffleyes: lol

My sister Liked Silver poodles at first then she saw apricots and really wanted a apricot she then saw a red and was sold. I think the color is amazing.

My sister also wanted one so we could show a good red in the ring and maybe lead up to producing better quality red dogs.

There are only 4 red champion standard poodles in the whole country. The quality of red standards is hard to find. The color is also hard to find because the gene pool is small. Most people do not care about the quality of the dog at all and this is why we have so many poor quality red standard poodles and a lot of the breeders are poor breeders themselves .......

This same thing happens within every breed. Some byb will say is rare then a fad starts ! Look at blue nose pit bulls . It was the biggest craze when a group of breeder decided to dub blue rare ..... I remember when chocolate labs where the biggest craze. White goldens ( english goldens) , White GSD's, White Dobermans etc.... the list goes on.

Red poodles are the latest rage ! :eek:hwell:
Actually white dobermans are rare cause it's a genetic fault that masks all four of the colors that dobermans usually come in (meaning they are albino)and it's recommended that people not breed them. In the AKC you have to register any white dobes under Z which helps identify carriers of the albinistic trate. Where as white GSD's are just a variation of color and are infact not albino. No reputable breeder will breed white dobes.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Actually white dobermans are rare cause it's a genetic fault that masks all four of the colors that dobermans usually come in (meaning they are albino)and it's recommended that people not breed them. In the AKC you have to register any white dobes under Z which helps identify carriers of the albinistic trate. Where as white GSD's are just a variation of color and are infact not albino. No reputable breeder will breed white dobes.
I am not saying white dobies are accepted with AKC all I am saying is they are rare and there is a craze for them ;) People breed white dobies for money $$$ they do not care about what AKC says

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm sure this happens to other Red Poodle owners too... every single time I take Rogan out for a walk , and we meet people, (of course they give him lots of attention because he's still a puppy)... but it never fails, someone ALWAYS says, "Wow, what an awesome color" or "I've never seen a poodle this color before!" or "love his color!"... it never fails, the conversation always goes to color! My 14 yr old daughter and I have started to look at each other and laugh everytime it happens now because it happens every time! :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts