Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi guys! I’m sorry for the LQ photo. I took a screenshot in a video; turns out we can only upload photos here. But I hope the photo is clear enough to distinguish my problem.
Why does he chew his skin? Is this some kind of allergy? If it is, maybe he’s allergic to chicken (I feed him raw).
To be honest, I don’t know what this behavior is called. But can anyone shed some light? I’m willing to send the video to anyone who wants to see it.
He’s in perfect health, just wondering why he does this.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
If it is only occasional, it is fine. Mine does it once in a while. If frequent, it could be allergies, dry skin, or fleas. Mine goes insane if he has fleas and will chew constantly. For his diet, is he getting good amounts of fatty acids? They are important for skin health.. Usually they are included as fish or krill oil or fresh fish. Maybe describe the diet. You could try a novel protein for six weeks to see if it improves.

For fleas, I suggest covering the dog carefully with shampoo thoroughly nose to tail tip. Let stand 10 minutes before rinsing. Should kill fleas very well. May need one repeat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is only occasional, it is fine. Mine does it once in a while. If frequent, it could be allergies, dry skin, or fleas. Mine goes insane if he has fleas and will chew constantly. For his diet, is he getting good amounts of fatty acids? They are important for skin health.. Usually they are included as fish or krill oil or fresh fish. Maybe describe the diet. You could try a novel protein for six weeks to see if it improves.

For fleas, I suggest covering the dog carefully with shampoo thoroughly nose to tail tip. Let stand 10 minutes before rinsing. Should kill fleas very well. May need one repeat.
Happens everyday but not all the time. I haven’t introduced him to fish (sardines) yet.
today He had beef, chicken wing, heart, gizzard, kidney. I’m gona add fish but I’m gona give him small portion. But which part of the fish should I give him first? Do you clean the inside? How about the fish bone?
Dry skin.... I’ve never thought but could be..? Let me check. He has no fleas. The only thing that bothers me is the itching and the one in the photo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

There’s fruit and veggies in his meal, too. And goat’s milk. I couldn’t open the coconut oil 🤣 so
When my boyfriend comes here tomorrow I’ll ask him to open it so I can add to his meal.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If it's dry skin, what is the humidity like in your house? My human scalp itches in the winter from our dry inside air.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's dry skin, what is the humidity like in your house? My human scalp itches in the winter from our dry inside air.
I’m currently living in Brazil. Right now it’s been raining a lot. It’s cold. But I managed to walk him today. Will coconut oil help?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Basil was itchy when I got her from 8-20weeks mainly during the June-July-August weather. I asked the vet. The vet said, "In general, puppies are itchy as they're adapting to new allergens in your neighborhood." I told her I didn't see any redness or self-harm. So, she just said to keep an eye on it

If he's itching his ear and whining, then it could be a sign of an ear infection that would require more action.

In addition, a loud "no" could cause puppy to stop itching like after a grooming. When I see Basil scratch her face I'll try and stop her because her toes can be like raptor claws if I don't stay on top of the grinding. We've had an incident where she had claw marks on her face.

It sounds like he's a healthy boy but you have an ounce of concern. If you're worried, then text or call your vet so they're in the loop. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our female Spoodle was always a chewer and scratcher. Never got a hot spot or any sores from it. Finally went with a limited ingredient food and within two weeks she has all but stopped. Never chews on herself and just a few short scratches a day. We have Tractor supply close by and the 4 health food they sell is highly rated and not super expensive.

·
Registered
228 Posts
this stuff works miracles

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our female Spoodle was always a chewer and scratcher. Never got a hot spot or any sores from it. Finally went with a limited ingredient food and within two weeks she has all but stopped. Never chews on herself and just a few short scratches a day. We have Tractor supply close by and the 4 health food they sell is highly rated and not super expensive.
He doesn’t have hot spot or sores either. So I’m wondering if he has allergy or just normal behavior. He’s a BARF dog and will try to do an elimination diet by removing chicken. Let’s see if it goes away.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You might try every other day. Ideally every day. But try to be consistent in brushing every other day if you can't do every day and brush thoroughly. Always use a comb to verify that there are no tangles.
Yeah I notice that you’re all about brushing. The photo above was before brushing him. I brush him at night before he sleeps. I care about my pup :) thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts