Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious as to what people's reasoning for prefering a female to a male.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I dont....i looked for a male Spoo to rescue and found Mister. I hadnt had a male dog in a while and wanted one and its been smooth sailing.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Majority I've seen posted want females. Every breeder I talk to always has the most requests for females.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Females have uteruses and a heat cycle. =/ Cha-ching $$$$ to most people.

I personally want a male.. but if temperment wins I will get a female. (Either sex will be altered)
But if you are going to a good breeder you aren't going to be allowed to breed her so what's the point?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The whole thing about females being better behaved perhaps? I'm not sure, I've never paid much attention to the myths that go along with male/female personalities.
What I hear consistantly is that males are more for family pets because females can be more independent.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I like to give tummy rubs uninterrupted by extra "parts" :)

It's hard to describe exactly why I was looking for a female, but it's true that I was wishing for a girl... In speaking with my breeder, I was "this close" to accepting a male if there weren't enough females in the litter (I was #3 on the list and Lucy was the 3rd and last girl born!!) Cherie assured me that if I would accept a boy that I would be very happy with that choice - and I'm sure I would've been - but I DO love my girl!

I can guarantee that my choice for a female had absolutely NOTHING to do with uteruses or cha-ching... All of my 4 legged family members are spayed/neutered/gelded as soon as safely possible.

All of my dogs have been female, and I like my pack of girls! I know a lot of people have a misconception that males mark their territory, hump, and have other unpleasant behaviors, but I know that unspayed females can also mark (I've seen some females lift their legs every bit as high as males - the urine doesn't travel as far, but the concept is the same) and humping is a dominant behavior no matter the gender.

Maybe someday I'll have a male spoo, but for now I'll enjoy my princess! :) (and I really do like smooth tummy rubs!) :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
I disagree with the statement to push what you have available. I will not put one of my puppies in a home where he is not wanted. If they want a female and I have a male, I tell them sorry... try... such and such.

But I do tell anyone who asks my opinion, male vs female, personally... if I could only have one standard poodle in my life, it would ... hands down... be a neutered male.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I disagree with the statement to push what you have available. I will not put one of my puppies in a home where he is not wanted. If they want a female and I have a male, I tell them sorry... try... such and such.

But I do tell anyone who asks my opinion, male vs female, personally... if I could only have one standard poodle in my life, it would ... hands down... be a neutered male.
But if you are doing that you are a good breeder and care about where your puppies are going. There are too many that just push pups for bucks out there and could care less.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I read somewhere online that females tend to be easier to train
they're less likely to be CRAZY playful
((my pup must be the exception to that rule))

I actually wanted a boy but the breeder sold the boy that I wanted so I ended up with Elphie
and I'm glad it worked out that way ^_^

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think its because people dont want to see the doggies lil red rocked jump out all the time when hes laying on his belly or something @[email protected]

Prolly also people think females will be less dominant and more of a "lap dog"

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
there is the general conception that boys are more dominant, they cock their legs on everything, hump stuff, and are generaly more of a pain than girls to simply have around. Now we all KNOW that's not true, but it *is* a general conception amoung those that know no better...

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
There are a couple reasons why i want a female next. Personally, i like males in general more. I want to "try out" a female though. I want to see the different personality then my males. I want a fast and smart little bi*ch to compete with. :D
The main reason i am getting a female next though is because it works out best with my future dogs. Some breeds i want cant be with other males, etc.

It has nothing to do with training, "parts", smarts, etc. I Love the boys, but need/want a female next. I am looking forward to having a little girl, but males are my compainion choice.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
When we had litters of puppies (I was very little), the female puppies were always the first to leave our house. I think it is just a misconception from people thinking that girls - if they have children - will be better family dogs, being maternal and taking care of the kids. (While this was very true for my Grandmother's female collie, it was incredibly untrue for our own cocker spaniel/first female grey. She could care less about being a mommy, let alone mine!)

People get boys, thinking they will be sporty and athletic and like to go on hikes/etc. Another misconception. TheQueen is the sportiest dog I have seen and can outrun the boys any day, and loves doing so to boot! I've had people at the dog park call her a "him/he" after they have seen her play fetch non-stop for an hour, or jump as high as she does, or run as fast as she does, or stand up for herself like she does. (Usually, those doofuses are the ones genuinely shocked that she is a girl.)

I think it is just old school mentality for a lot of consumers/people looking to adopt.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have two male dogs and one female and while I love my little princess, I am all about boys!!! I love male dogs, male cats, male humans....you get the picture. :biggrin: My female loves me, but my boys are inlove with me!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts