Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Galen is entering the phase where he steals things to get a rise out of me. It's really funny to see what he swipes. Some of the things make sense. Underwear is deliciously smelly. (My bathroom is too small to hold a hamper, so he steals the underwear while I'm in the shower.) Socks and sneakers, yep, deliciously smelly. But, a can of tomato paste?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ever since we began working on the "drop it" command, Sammy frequently stole things that he perceives are of high value to me.

It's over a year later, and he will run with the item, drop it in front of the refridgerator ( where his treats are ) and wait patiently for me to give him a treat. I really feel like this is a - he trained me - scenario, but it works well to get contriband/dangerous items from him immediately.

A can of tomato paste? No idea why that would be of interest to him, but I'd still offer to trade.

·
Premium Member
23,386 Posts
That is really odd, but I think that Daabor is onto something!

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
I laughed out loud at the tomato paste. That's a new one, Galen!

Sometimes I ask Peggy why she can't be more like the GSD I fostered. The GSD would bring me the TV remote, unprompted. Peggy, like Galen, has always thought it's spectacular fun to steal things for the thrill of it.

Does Galen ever chew or swallow them?

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I laughed out loud at the tomato paste. That's a new one, Galen!

Sometimes I ask Peggy why she can't be more like the GSD I fostered. The GSD would bring me the TV remote, unprompted. Peggy, like Galen, has always thought it's spectacular fun to steal things for the thrill of it.

Does Galen ever chew or swallow them?
He seems not to deliberately swallow his contraband. It's more that he can't manage to spit out certain things, like kleenex. They stick to his tongue. I think Pogo did a good job of teaching him to give up high value items. Pogo would constantly take toys away and return them.

I'm not quite as generous as Pogo, but I do normally try to trade a treat for contraband. Well, except this morning, when Galen stole an entire stick of butter off the counter next to me as I was pulling the toast out of the toaster. He got a Bad Dog, much additional incoherent snarling, and exile to the porch while I finished making my breakfast in peace.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm not quite as generous as Pogo, but I do normally try to trade a treat for contraband. Well, except this morning, when Galen stole an entire stick of butter off the counter next to me as I was pulling the toast out of the toaster. He got a Bad Dog, much additional incoherent snarling, and exile to the porch while I finished making my breakfast in peace.
I feel you on this story, Phoebe did something similar once. I was making Velveeta cheese for taco night, set it on the counter for a few minutes and next thing I know it was half gone with teeth marks in it! Looked around for the suspect only to find a smacking poodle hiding under the table.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
I couldn't figure out why Peggy's been bringing me dish towels lately, and then I discovered tonight it's because they've been falling off the oven door, onto the floor.

And earlier today, she brought my husband a tiny piece of chewed cardboard. Just placed it on his lap while he was working and walked away.

These are definite wins, but I worry about what will happen if she ever discovers the deliciousness that so often exists on our countertops. I'm not sure she'd ever get her manners back after tasting a stick of butter or Velveeta.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I couldn't figure out why Peggy's been bringing me dish towels lately, and then I discovered tonight it's because they've been falling off the oven door, onto the floor.

And earlier today, she brought my husband a tiny piece of chewed cardboard. Just placed it on his lap while he was working and walked away.

These are definite wins, but I worry about what will happen if she ever discovers the deliciousness that so often exists on our countertops. I'm not sure she'd ever get her manners back after tasting a stick of butter or Velveeta.
That's adorable.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ah, Galen. Such a goof. Fluffy is a chronic sock thief. He thinks they're the most wonderful of toys, and will zoom around the room with them, flipping them in the air and pouncing on them. We have to be careful not to leave any down! It makes you wonder, what is going on in their doggy minds?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts