Poodle Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Misha is amazing! How did you teach him to display different gaits on command?
I've always loved the "poodle strut" and my Sammy definately struts like a poodle. He has been asked to join agility competition, but that was put on hold due to covid.

Misha has such confidence! And is stunning in all ways. If I could ever afford another poodle, I'm going to ask you for Misha"s breeder info!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Misha is amazing! How did you teach him to display different gaits on command?
I've always loved the "poodle strut" and my Sammy definately struts like a poodle. He has been asked to join agility competition, but that was put on hold due to covid.

Misha has such confidence! And is stunning in all ways. If I could ever afford another poodle, I'm going to ask you for Misha"s breeder info!
Thank you! I will forward the compliments to him! It was actually a bit of a joke that he does them on command. He doesn't... it's just edited to look that way so it's cute. My first attempts were to ask him to come to me and have him trot down the road, but he insisted on galloping so I had to let him follow me instead. But it turned out to be nice!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since I saw someone mention the doberman's trot, please check out the miniature pincher! They have a hackney gait which makes them look like little horses, it's adorable :)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Since I saw someone mention the doberman's trot, please check out the miniature pincher! They have a hackney gait which makes them look like little horses, it's adorable :)
Very cute! Yes I like to see them, that's a nice video. It's a unique gait variation! It's a nice thing to see in a breed that's supposed to have it. Unfortunately you also see it in poodles sometimes 😕

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Raindrops, this is excellent work from you and Misha (and Jack)! I'd wanted to compliment you on your new sig pic also and now I see how it sprang up :)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
What an excellent video, and Misha is drop dead gorgeous!
Gracie is very light and springy in gait, I’m going to enlist my husband’s help to get a slo mo video of her.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
What an excellent video, and Misha is drop dead gorgeous!
Gracie is very light and springy in gait, I’m going to enlist my husband’s help to get a slo mo video of her.
Thank you! I'd love to see Gracie in slo mo! It's fun to compare different dogs. Slight conformation differences can result in unique movement and there's still so much I don't know.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Annie paces on our walks because I am slow and her legs are long. Its honestly not a pretty gait for her. But if she is off leash or I am walking faster she trots naturally, or gallops. I sometimes think gallop is her preferred gait. I get a lot of "look at that dog! How did you train her to walk like that" or "she moves like a thoroughbred horse" comments.
I think Chuui is in the same boat as Annie. She has always had clunky looking walk compared to Mochi, who I now realize has a flying trot and is just all around springy. Chuui's walk is stiff, and her trot just looks like a fast stiff-legged walk. She does have very long legs and looks much better when running super fast though. This always surprised us since Chuui came from a show breeder and Mochi was from a backyard breeder and has faults in her conformation :unsure:. This was a very informative thread.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I think Chuui is in the same boat as Annie. She has always had clunky looking walk compared to Mochi, who I now realize has a flying trot and is just all around springy. Chuui's walk is stiff, and her trot just looks like a fast stiff-legged walk. She does have very long legs and looks much better when running super fast though. This always surprised us since Chuui came from a show breeder and Mochi was from a backyard breeder and has faults in her conformation :unsure:. This was a very informative thread.
Interesting to know! Little things can throw off gait so not all dogs from show breedings will necessarily have the same movement. I think the biggest thing is balance of angulation. Some dogs are more angulated in front or rear and this throws off the gait. Another common thing is that the front and rear feet can collide when trotting which means the dog prefers to pace or trots at an angle. You can have other things like specific bones being too long or short. When you watch show poodles they don't all have perfect gait either. I've seen some that were quite poor. I know one other local mini from supposedly show lines and his gait is not so nice either. For pets it is just a curiosity. Misha has his own conformation faults... no dog is perfect!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts