Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
would love to see a doberman with proper movement in person. It's funny... I know many dobermans as they are popular here but I don't think any have great movement. I know two of them that I often see crabwalk very obviously. So they mostly pace.
If you haven’t seen any nice ones at a dog show, there is something wrong. Most dobermans you see on the street have poor to very poor conformation.

Check here at 2:30. They’re not as prancy as a poodle. They remind me more of a beautiful horse.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you haven’t seen any nice ones at a dog show, there is something wrong. Most dobermans you see on the street have poor to very poor conformation.

Check here at 2:30. They’re not as prancy as a poodle. They remind me more of a beautiful horse.

Ah yes very pretty! I have seen them on film before for sure. I only meant I have never seen one in person as in real life. But I would like to meet one. I've only been to a show once when I was young.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thank you! I am a total newbie at editing videos and I just use Windows Movie Maker. It lets you slow them down and is fairly simple to use. I would guess there are phone apps that can do it as well. But I typically just edit on my pc.

I got the idea for this after watching the old documentary "Dog Steps" which is available for viewing on youtube. It's ancient but still a really wonderful way to learn about gait comparison. Though it will drive you mad because you'll start analyzing the gait of every dog you see!
I’ll have a look for an app ive got to try the slow motion vid, it’s such a good idea! I’ll have a watch of the doc too, thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I’ll have a look for an app ive got to try the slow motion vid, it’s such a good idea! I’ll have a watch of the doc too, thanks for sharing
I highly recommend it! Rachel Page Elliot was a pioneer in understanding dog movement.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Thank you, this was beautifully done and a joy to watch.

Reactions: Raindrops

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Very informative. I had a sneaky feeling that Asta flies too in the trot, but sadly he is very camera sky so the odds of getting a photos are next to none.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Very informative. I had a sneaky feeling that Asta flies too in the trot, but sadly he is very camera sky so the odds of getting a photo are next one.
Then this method would work for you! I set it up on tripod and then just let him walk past it. You can take stills from video. They look like this... very nice.
Trot2.png

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
That was really nice to watch. I was wondering about your new siggy pic and now I get it. They do move very fluidly and it is super pretty. Javelin moves the way Misha does. Very light on his feet, airborne as needed for the pace. He gallops at me on recalls. I have been working really hard for him to collect himself when he gets in close. If that doesn't happen I end up with his head jammed between my legs, which is a slight improvement from crashing into me so hard he puts me off balance.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That was really nice to watch. I was wondering about your new siggy pic and now I get it. They do move very fluidly and it is super pretty. Javelin moves the way Misha does. Very light on his feet, airborne as needed for the pace. He gallops at me on recalls. I have been working really hard for him to collect himself when he gets in close. If that doesn't happen I end up with his head jammed between my legs, which is a slight improvement from crashing into me so hard he puts me off balance.
That must be very impressive on a spoo! Good to know this is typical for poodles.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This is such a good video! Misha is such a good boy showing us all these graceful gaits he can do. Lacey has recently developed a graceful, springy trot that I love. But she can’t do it on command like Misha.
I highly doubt she has proper movement and I’d totally let you use her as an example in your video if I lived nearby.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This is such a good video! Misha is such a good boy showing us all these graceful gaits he can do. Lacey has recently developed a graceful, springy trot that I love. But she can’t do it on command like Misha.
I highly doubt she has proper movement and I’d totally let you use her as an example in your video if I lived nearby.
Haha he doesn't do it on command either. I just made it look that way because it's cute. I just got a bunch of different speeds and picked what I wanted. I'd love to record Lacey. I'm sure her gait is nicer than any other poodles in my area!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Misha is so pretty! I’ve always wondered what the Poodle Trot looked like slowed down, but couldn’t ever get a good video... Thanks, Raindrops!

Dobies, to me, are the living definition of confidence when you see a good one walk. A horse is a good comparison.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Misha is definitely cute, and the perfect size. I have such a soft spot for inky black mini poodles.
I think Jack accidentally coming into your video was a cool accident since we got a side by side comparison of two different trot styles.

I'd love to record Lacey. I'm sure her gait is nicer than any other poodles in my area!
Aw, thank you!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts