Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to get some photographs of Misha trotting in profile and some slow motion footage to analyze his gait. I loved the video so much that I have edited it into an educational form. We're always telling people that poodles have a special beautiful way of walking and I wanted a way to show it. They seem to float in an effortless prance. I think Misha demonstrates this very well. You can see that his natural gait is the flying trot. And he also shows a gallop and a double suspension gallop. Enjoy!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I love this! Such beautiful dogs! Thanks for sharing. What a great way to view the gait. I recorded diva but didn’t think of slowing it down. 🤦🏼‍♀️ How do you slow vids down like that, is there an app?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, love it ! Misha is such a gorgeous dog !

If you ever do another video, it would be interesting if you showed a frozen frame of Misha’s feet off the ground for every movement. So we can see it better.
Yes, this is a good idea and I considered this and would like to do it at some point. But I was just too tired of working on it to add any more. I might do a separate trot video showing it. But I did put one of the "hover" shots as the thumbnail.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love this! Such beautiful dogs! Thanks for sharing. What a great way to view the gait. I recorded diva but didn’t think of slowing it down. 🤦🏼‍♀️ How do you slow vids down like that, is there an app?
Thank you! I am a total newbie at editing videos and I just use Windows Movie Maker. It lets you slow them down and is fairly simple to use. I would guess there are phone apps that can do it as well. But I typically just edit on my pc.

I got the idea for this after watching the old documentary "Dog Steps" which is available for viewing on youtube. It's ancient but still a really wonderful way to learn about gait comparison. Though it will drive you mad because you'll start analyzing the gait of every dog you see!

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
That was lovely to watch and very informative - thank you! I had not realised poodles use the flying trot, but it certainly explains why they seem to float.

Reactions: Raindrops

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Great video! I really appreciated the comparison with Jack, and seeing a Dobie (or other breeds) would be very informative. But I realize that you're not producing a series, lol! Great job! (PS - I've been admiring the picture in your signature.)

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another dog who has a great gait is the doberman. A well bred doberman is an amazing animal to watch.
I would love to see a doberman with proper movement in person. It's funny... I know many dobermans as they are popular here but I don't think any have great movement. I know two of them that I often see crabwalk very obviously. So they mostly pace.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was lovely to watch and very informative - thank you! I had not realised poodles use the flying trot, but it certainly explains why they seem to float.
I don't know for sure if it is super common. Even Misha's normal trot is kind of springy. It's hard to get him to trot like Jack is trotting though. Maybe Johanna could answer. From what I've read the flying trot requires either fast speed or very strong rear drive. Misha's breeder saw the stills I took and said that he has perfect movement so maybe the flying trot is ideal... not sure. He also may be a bit unique with the double suspension gallop. Not all dogs do it, though for sure it is more than just sighthounds (that's a myth).

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Great video! I really appreciated the comparison with Jack, and seeing a Dobie (or other breeds) would be very informative. But I realize that you're not producing a series, lol! Great job! (PS - I've been admiring the picture in your signature.)
Thank you! It was chance that the gallop lined up so perfectly like that. I had to make a compilation haha. I love how it turned out. I would also be happy to do a series if I could get dogs to do it, but I would need dogs with correct movement which can be hard to find. Jack actually just ran in by accident. I was trying to film away from other dogs! But it turned out nice. He looks to have a balanced trot but he is still a puppy and probably not pure lab. Filming dogs with movement faults might be fun too but I'm not sure how to ask owners tactfully! I do occasionally see some show quality dogs so I'll think about getting permission to film them.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I bet these would be helpful to folks who show -- including judges! Maybe your local dog club would be interested? I'm sure the owners would!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bet these would be helpful to folks who show -- including judges! Maybe your local dog club would be interested? I'm sure the owners would!
Yeah that's a good idea! I might try reaching out to them when I have time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wanted to get some photographs of Misha trotting in profile and some slow motion footage to analyze his gait. I loved the video so much that I have edited it into an educational form. We're always telling people that poodles have a special beautiful way of walking and I wanted a way to show it. They seem to float in an effortless prance. I think Misha demonstrates this very well. You can see that his natural gait is the flying trot. And he also shows a gallop and a double suspension gallop. Enjoy!

This is amazing! Thank you.

Though my toy is not as graceful as Misha, when toffee trots around my apartment I really sit up and notice. It makes me smile and call her queen Toffee!

Thanks for the great video

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Thank you for making this video!!! Just last week I was trying to figure out what Annie's gaits are. I figured out pacing, but her trot looked "different" and yes, I couldnt figure out what it was called when she went airborne while running. Brilliant idea to slow it down.

Flying trot and double suspension gallop. Good to know!

Misha is an absolutely gorgeous dog.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for making this video!!! Just last week I was trying to figure out what Annie's gaits are. I figured out pacing, but her trot looked "different" and yes, I couldnt figure out what it was called when she went airborne while running. Brilliant idea to slow it down.

Flying trot and double suspension gallop. Good to know!

Misha is an absolutely gorgeous dog.
Yes I also didn't realize Misha had a flying trot until I took video. I knew he was exceptionally springy though. It is very fun to slow them down. Misha does pace when he is tired but it's hard to induce it. Trotting is much more natural to him. To film this I just used my phone set up on a mini tripod next to the road. I'd love to see a spoo in slow motion.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Annie paces on our walks because I am slow and her legs are long. Its honestly not a pretty gait for her. But if she is off leash or I am walking faster she trots naturally, or gallops. I sometimes think gallop is her preferred gait. I get a lot of "look at that dog! How did you train her to walk like that" or "she moves like a thoroughbred horse" comments.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Annie paces on our walks because I am slow and her legs are long. Its honestly not a pretty gait for her. But if she is off leash or I am walking faster she trots naturally, or gallops. I sometimes think gallop is her preferred gait. I get a lot of "look at that dog! How did you train her to walk like that" or "she moves like a thoroughbred horse" comments.
Yes, it is funny that people always comment on how beautiful their walk is. They always ask me if Misha is a show dog. I could see how leash walking a standard could be tough to train. Their natural pace is so fast!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts