Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we’ve moved 3 1/2 months ago, I’ve noticed the dogs keep smelling the floor in the living room. And sometimes licking. At our old house, they would never do that.

I’ve washed the floors thoroughly dozens of times by now. Paranoid me keeps thinking they smell critters or pee from the dogs that used to live in this house. The old owner was not up to par in her housecare so this is making me want to rip off the floor and find out what’s underneath. Unfortunately I’ve already spent way to much money on this house (I call it the house from hell because of all the not so pleasant surprises I’ve had since moving in) and this is not something I can afford.

Have your dogs ever done that ? Did you find out the particular reason ?

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Dechi, you didn't mention what kind of products you've tried in cleaning your floors, but I know of one called "Nature's Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner". $6.58 at Chewy.com. (link)

It says if "attacks pet stains from urine, feces, vomit, and grease on hardwoods, concrete, pet kennels, litter boxes, and any other solid surface. Bio-enzymatic agents penetrate deep into the surface and get rid of stains and odors."

I bought it when I first got Bella, but never had to use it, so I don't really know if it works. Maybe this or something like it with 'bio-enzymes' will work.

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Reminds me of an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, in which Larry David’s agent, Jeff, brings his GSD to the site of a new restaurant they are building and the dog alerts to something under the floor. The building authorities force them to dig up the floor, believing it might be a cadaver and they find a bra! I would add that product Vita recommended to the pail and not dig up the floor, lol.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Oh dear, no don't rip up the floor. If you want to know if there is some sort of residue from the previous dogs you could borrow a black light and check the area. If stuff glows then there is something biological still there. I hope you resolve this sort of annoying sounding mystery.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dechi, you didn't mention what kind of products you've tried in cleaning your floors, but I know of one called "Nature's Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner". $6.58 at Chewy.com. (link)

It says if "attacks pet stains from urine, feces, vomit, and grease on hardwoods, concrete, pet kennels, litter boxes, and any other solid surface. Bio-enzymatic agents penetrate deep into the surface and get rid of stains and odors."

I bought it when I first got Bella, but never had to use it, so I don't really know if it works. Maybe this or something like it with 'bio-enzymes' will work.
Thanks, I’ll look for it !

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reminds me of an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, in which Larry David’s agent, Jeff, brings his GSD to the site of a new restaurant they are building and the dog alerts to something under the floor. The building authorities force them to dig up the floor, believing it might be a cadaver and they find a bra! I would add that product Vita recommended to the pail and not dig up the floor, lol.
Ha Ha Ha ! Too funny ! In this case it would be very many bras because they pretty much smell all around the floor. Could it be mice living in the floor ? (there is the basement underneath so it’s a floor/ceiling).

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh dear, no don't rip up the floor. If you want to know if there is some sort of residue from the previous dogs you could borrow a black light and check the area. If stuff glows then there is something biological still there. I hope you resolve this sort of annoying sounding mystery.
Yeah, it really is a mystery !

There’s another mystery I resolved. It took me more than 3 months but I think I found why my carpet stunk of cat pee really bad until one day it suddenly stopped. The owner didn’t have cats, only dogs that didn’t go downstairs, where the carpet is.

I had two cracks on the foundations of the house fixed, from the outside. There are lots of cats around here and some come around my house and leave their marks. I figure they must have been peeing right where the cracks were, so the smell was infiltrating the house. And when it was repaired, it took a few months and the smell went away.

Now with Beckie running after the cats, I think they’d rather stay away, lol !

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
One of my favorite shows and I loved that episode! :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Your theory of mice in the subfloor is worth investigating, since cats seem to be drawn to the foundation. We had some mice in an attic crawl space once. DH alerted to their scrabbling, not our dog at the time.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your theory of mice in the subfloor is worth investigating, since cats seem to be drawn to the foundation. We had some mice in an attic crawl space once. DH alerted to their scrabbling, not our dog at the time.
I had mice for 10 years at the old house. I could simply not get rid of them. I did but then they always came back. So I am praying that this house does not have them.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Given that today is Halloween, this is a spooky mystery.

A black light flashlight is falrly reasonably to buy if you can’t borrow it. But you probably have washed every inch of the floor multiple times so you may not find any pet waste stain.

Mice or voles could very well be the answer. The dogs may be smelling or hearing them move underneath.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given that today is Halloween, this is a spooky mystery.

A black light flashlight is falrly reasonably to buy if you can’t borrow it. But you probably have washed every inch of the floor multiple times so you may not find any pet waste stain.

Mice or voles could very well be the answer. The dogs may be smelling or hearing them move underneath.
I didn’t know what voles were so Imhad to look it up in French. I don’t know if we have them here. I hope not.

If I can I’ll buy a bal k light flashlight. It’s a strong possibility that I change the floor in 3-4 years. Unless it becomes too much and I just go nuts with that. It’s just so intriguing !

There seems to be a pattern, they mostly smell the same trail. At least in one spot. So if that’s the case, it might be old stains in the subfloor. That would be a good outcome. Old stuff that still smells, nothing alive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A few years ago, Furball suddenly kept sniffing at a home excessively. We can't find anything but we are guessing it could be a dead mice or something in the wall cavity. He stopped in a few week (I am guessing that the dead mice has been "cleaned up" by cockroaches).

If you have just moved to a different house, it could be the smell of wee from the previous owners' dog or something. Obviously it's been several months and your dogs are still sniffing, you should try to do something about it. Have you tried something like a urine removing solution like UrineFree? I live in Australia so that's an AU product, think there one called UrineOff in the US?

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A few years ago, Furball suddenly kept sniffing at a home excessively. We can't find anything but we are guessing it could be a dead mice or something in the wall cavity. He stopped in a few week (I am guessing that the dead mice has been "cleaned up" by cockroaches).

If you have just moved to a different house, it could be the smell of wee from the previous owners' dog or something. Obviously it's been several months and your dogs are still sniffing, you should try to do something about it. Have you tried something like a urine removing solution like UrineFree? I live in Australia so that's an AU product, think there one called UrineOff in the US?
I haven’t yet but Vita has suggested a product and I will try to find it.

I would go nuts if it was a mouse and cockroaches! It’s unusual that we have cockroaches in Canada. In some parts of big cities there are some, but not in the suburbs usually, and not in houses. Mostly in big apartment complex that are not well taken care of, or too crowded.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No cockroaches in the suburbs?! You guys are so lucky! I lost count how many times I had one crawl onto my arm or feet at night just before I fall asleep, then when I turn on the lights, I scream so loud that I would wake the entire neighborhood....

Our home is not filthy or anything like that, but cockroaches are just so resilient, people say they can even survive a nuclear blast! I have seen them inside shipping containers so they get "exported" all over the world......

Anyways, good luck with the cleaning!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I think I would just wash the floor with "Natures Miracle". It is a enzyme cleaner and probably already mentioned here. I periodically buy the big jug and use it to wash my floors. I think it smells clean and takes out the many orders from having so many pets in my home, even though they don't potty in the house.
https://www.chewy.com/natures-miracle-advanced-dog-stain/dp/142782?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Nature's Miracle&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkvXgzeO13gIVEl8NCh0IHATWEAQYAiABEgKR8_D_BwE

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No cockroaches in the suburbs?! You guys are so lucky! I lost count how many times I had one crawl onto my arm or feet at night just before I fall asleep, then when I turn on the lights, I scream so loud that I would wake the entire neighborhood....

Our home is not filthy or anything like that, but cockroaches are just so resilient, people say they can even survive a nuclear blast! I have seen them inside shipping containers so they get "exported" all over the world......

Anyways, good luck with the cleaning!
What if you have an exterminator come to your house ? I had them when I was younger, in my first apartment, in a big complex. We had the exterminator come and were very careful with food. We stopped seeing them but since all the other tenants had them, we could never completely get rid of them. We moved.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Oh no I couldn't handle a cockroach . I live in the south and we do get them but I have had my the terminator come thru. Use to do it regularly but I don't want all the chemicals, have occasionally used those traps. Never have been more than 1 or 2 and now almost never.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts