Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I am at a show, I see handlers hold the muzzles of their dogs until they go into the ring. Why do they do this?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
So that they don't shake or spin. If they do, the hairspray starts to fall apart. The biggest problem area is the back of the neck.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I do this and it is to not mess up the hair :)

It is very annoying when you have put everything in place and the fist thing the dog does before going in to the ring is to shake its head.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. It makes total sense to me since Taffy, especially, has a habit of shaking her head often. She seems to do it more when we are practicing ring work. All of a sudden she slows down and then comes the big shake!! I've seen other poodles do this in the ring too.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
and with so much coat on them it's hard to actually get them to hold still without putting your hands on them! The lil show lead certainly won't stop them spinning about if they so choose, nor shaking, but yes, holding the face is a 'safe spot' to hold without wreaking coat! Generally once they're moving it's less of an issue! haha!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you all for your input. Is there a dual reason in doing this to encourage them to hold their heads up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts