Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hank looks so adorable... I have to say I started out with an un-shaven face on Ponki, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and after a few times cleaning food out of her "beard" I was cured from the un-shaven face. LOL!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't like the sloppy drooly bearded face. Bella gets a teensy bit long (say 6 - 8 weeks post-groom) and she's suddenly turned into a mastif at the water bowl.

Plus I feel like I can't "see" her pretty little face.

Having said that, I realize it's just a preference and there are many who like bearded-dogs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't like the sloppy drooly bearded face. Bella gets a teensy bit long (say 6 - 8 weeks post-groom) and she's suddenly turned into a mastif at the water bowl.

Plus I feel like I can't "see" her pretty little face.

Having said that, I realize it's just a preference and there are many who like bearded-dogs.
This. Being a groomer who specializes not just in poodles, but in terriers too, I actually really like bearded faces, but they are so messy!

Albi will start "wiping her mouth" on the carpet with even a week's worth of growth on her face, where tiny bits of food collect by her lips. And I shave her with a #40 every two weeks! We'll have to see how that goes when I grow her into some of my more ambitious ideas. One day, I'm going to transform her into a black show-styled "Bichon".

But I will miss her gorgeous little face.

You know what, though, originally I wanted a boy poodle, because I just love 'em with little moustaches.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Yet another thing to love about Poodles: diversity!

I do like the shaved face, but it's so cool that with Poodles you can experiment constantly. For a while I kept one of mine in a Town and Country with a French moustache, and he looked quite sophisticated. :)

--Q

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of Sisko with clean and fluffy faces. We are always asked if he's a doodle, maybe because he is a brindle and has stripes

Attachments

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Here's another I forgot and a baby picture too. I am so enjoying reading everybody's posts on the poodle forum. I am learning a lot and It's a comfort to know help is out there and that being in poodle love is a fairly mainstream condition!

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
I love Pup's face all hairy but he is much cleaner and sweeter smelling when he is shaved.
We try to go as long as possible between groomings, since they are stressful for him and we are trying to avoid stress these days :)

There are no Standard Poodles here but they do the full show clip on a lot of the little ones, as well as a few have puppy cuts ( I guess that is what they are called) and they look adorable.

Here is Pup before and after ~

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks everyone for sharing your pictures! You all have such awesome dogs! Here is one of Hank and our first fish caught together! We both had lots of fun! In the picture his eyes are fixed on the geese out in the water!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Your boy looks great in a hairy face! I have never let either of mine grow so I have no idea if they could pull it off or not.

I really like them shaved clean. I just don't like food and other stuff getting in their hair and having to clean it.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
The thing I don't get as an artist and groomer is having your dog look the same over and over and over. People bring their dogs in to get groomed every 4 weeks and get the same thing every time for years! I tried fuzzy face out on Vegas because I'm confident he can look good in every clip. I have to say I love stroking his freshly shaved face, but that fuzzy face is just so soft and kissable.

I very rarely kiss Vienna, she has a shaved face but she just doesn't ever smell right. It doesn't always matter if your dog has a fuzzy or clean face on how much it smells, the dog has to be a clean dog too.

ETA, nice largemouth ;)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
My dogs are in CC so a shaved face is a must. One of the things I love about the shaved parts is stroking the bare areas. Can't really describe what it feels like but i like how it feels. It is also nice to give a little bare butt pop once in a while in a loving way. Billy likes it when I pat the top of his bare butt and will stand on his tip-toes when I do it....LOL

When they are out of CC I will experiment with different clips as I am an artist too and like change. :act-up:

·
Registered
356 Posts
I really love Standard poodles but have always wondered why I rarely see them without a shaved face! Don't get me wrong, I think it looks great but I prefer Hank to have longer hair on his face. Most people have to ask me what kind of dog Hank is for that reason. Does anyone have pictures of their spoo without a shaved face? Thanks!
I am a new SPOO owner, but I already know I will be in the minority! I had a black lab, now a chocolate Labradoodle and as of 3 days ago - a 1 year old SPOO!!!! She is awesome and has the puppy/teddy bear look and I love it. I know this is not the normal look for a SPOO, but I LOVE it! I could care less if the face is messier. I have a doodle with a beard that gets so wet/food ridden, it won't phase me. I also love her big furry feet! I am so happy to see that I am not the only one who is unconventional! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sadie is a very big girl standing 28" and her nose is a very regal 5". I just have begun to clip her ... well, shave her, at least. She's been so very patient with me and I just love to kiss the bridge of her shaved nose. She loves loves loves to have me rub it to. When I'm done with that, then she nudges me to do chin rubbers as well. She's starting to look like me though with those pesky chin whiskers! ;-)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I absolutely love a shaved poodle face. It's great to kiss! After having tried the fuzzy face, I will always have my dog's face SHAVED. I just love the look and cleanliness. I love it so much that even if I got a different breed that normally gets teddy bear faces (shih tzu, maltese, yorkie, etc) - I would shave their face like a poodle! (and also give them poodle feet)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know I am 2 years off on this reply but I love a fuzzy face too and My Hairy has the same short topknot! AND I live in MN! It must be a northern thing :)

21 - 40 of 77 Posts