Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who hunts with their Poodle or who has considered it or gone to training for it? I cant help but wonder how Mister would do...he is afterall a bird dog lol.
A guy came into my work with an Irish Setter today and he was so interested in Mister. He told me that they are the best bird dog out there! I know you can do training for hunting with fake birds but i just dont know where you do them....

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
My husband is interested in seeing if Lucy has any desire or aptitude as a hunting spoo... He brought a pheasant wing home from a recent hunting trip to see how she'd react and it was so comical!! Lucy chomped her teeth into that wing and did NOT want to let go!! lol!! David had tied some twine to the wing so she wouldn't be able to abscond with the treasure, but she pulled with all she's worth!! That's not the best thing for a hunting dog to do - they're supposed to have soft mouths and drop the bird when asked... :) David put the wing into the freezer and said maybe he'll try again in the spring (we just got 15+ inches of snow - 50 mph winds - major blizzard. It's no fun to train outside just now!)

If she shows any instinct for it and WANTS to do it, she'll be his hunting partner someday, if not - we're A-OK with that, too!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
That's exactly what I'm going to be doing when I get my spoo. I'm going to be able to pick specifically from the litter for personality above color and gender. At first I considered taking the dog to a professional trainer to learn to be a bird dog, but after learning the harsh training that they put labs through, I don't know how easy it will be to find someone that knows how to train a completely different dog to do the same job.

So I'm going to be doing the training myself. The dog has to want to do the job though, else I don't think they'll do it as well or it's just not fair.

Apart from the fake birds, you'll need the scent, as well as fake shells. You don't have a bird dog if the dog's afraid of the gunshot. They sell a TON of this stuff in sportsmen stores. I can't go down that isle.. I'm so distracted by everything there. If my hunting spoos a female, she's going to have a hunter orange collar.. and matching ear bows. :x

Call your local fish and game office, they'll normally be able to point you in the direction of a training field you can practice in. Or even stop by your local sportsmen store again, at mine there's an area where people put their hunting and fishing photos, and trainers and puppy sellers post their advertisments. Anyone selling a trained retriever can normally give you tons of information.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts