Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 5 kids, 3 that live in the house with us all of the time and my 2 older kids that live with their dad but are frequently here with us. The poodles do wonderfully with them. I was wondering where the poos with kids were?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have two young boys (Alex 4 yrs and Andrew 2 yrs) and liitle baby Anthony is roasting in my belly. So the beginning of the year ill have 3 boys. My experience has been over all good with my standard. Eli and Alex (my oldest) are best buddies. Alex favors Eli our standard over the other dogs greatly.

However, I did have a standard named Sting that we got as a puppy that had some issues with my boys. He would play and be cool with them but when he wanted to lounge around, he was absolutely aweful with the kids. They couldnt even pet him with out him growling and then that progressed into nipping (once). Sting wouldnt dare growl at my husband or I, just the kids. I guess he felt he was equal to the kids and didnt respect them. We worked on it for atleast 3 months and then he began to nip and that was it. Plus I found out I was pregnant so his nipping/growling thing was more concerning. Sting now lives with a single father and a teenage son in Idaho. He was better off not living with small kids and they are pleased with him.

I briefly had another male standard named Mikey I got at 6 months old. He was a great guy but had issue's with men that the previous owner failed to tell me about. Im married and my husband LOVES dogs so that was really dissapointing. He loved the kids but was just frightened of my husband. It was sad but I did find him a home with a lady and her three daughter's. That was a Poodle that easily won your heart. I had a hard time actually letting him go and wondered if I made the right decision. Still to this day I miss him. She send me pics and they adore him so I know he's happy atleast.

So over all I do think standard poodles are good with kids. I dont have any experience with the smaller varieties but have heard good things about mini's and kids too. I'd like to get another standard eventually but want to make sure everything is right about the situation first.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't have a poodle, but we hope to get a standard soon... and have a 4 year old. I would love to hear more about the family dynamics with those that have poodles and children!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I currently have three standard poodles. My three kids frequently use them as pillows, mattresses and blankets. I've had just wonderful experiences with them My kids are 12, 7 and 5 years old and my poodles are and 8 year old apricot (Sport) and two 1 year old reds Arreau's I'll follow the sun (Betty Jo) and Arreau's Golden slumber (Jenny). They are amazing together. The dogs even come with me to the school when I pick up the kids. All the kids there mug them too and they love it. My 7 year old took Betty Jo to school for show and tell last year. It was wonderful. My poodles are exceptionally kind and patient with all the kids. It does get a little crazy at times. But its a great kind of crazy. My daughter is sure that everyone should have the same number of poodles as kids.

Prior to these poodles I had another standard poodle Rusty that we had for 10 years. We got him before we had kids. He was four when we had our first child and he absolutely adored him (and all kids in general)!!! He used to rush to me then go to the crib every time my son cried to tell me to help him. I couldn't ask for a better combination then kids and poodles.

I thought I'd share some of my favorite pictures of my current dogs and my kids together. They say more then I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Three here!
Boy-12
Girl- 7
Boy-5

Four cats and one poodle.

Oh yes, and my husband that goes to work every day and pays for all this madness!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Love the pics. I should of posted some kids and poodle pics. Here's a few of our Eli and the Mikey we had previously with my oldest son Alex (4yrs)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Three here!
Boy-12
Girl- 7
Boy-5

Four cats and one poodle.

Oh yes, and my husband that goes to work every day and pays for all this madness!!

Love it! My hubby is also a trooper that goes to work everyday to support all of the madness in our home. He gets an excited croud every evening when coming through the door from work. lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Trillim and Secreto what beautiful familys you have! Children AND Poodles! I'm loving all the poodle/children pictures. I can't wait to have a spoo for our family to cuddle with! My son keeps saying he wants a dog with a "stripe" on it?? Hehe, (4 years old).

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Trillim and Secreto what beautiful familys you have! Children AND Poodles! I'm loving all the poodle/children pictures. I can't wait to have a spoo for our family to cuddle with! My son keeps saying he wants a dog with a "stripe" on it?? Hehe, (4 years old).
lol...oh the funny thing a four year old will say.

My son Alex is 4 too and all he talks about is his big black poodle. If we leave and go somewhere, he runs in the house immediately after we get home to Eli's crate and says "hey buddy, where home now dont you worry buddy". lol Its soo adorable and now the youngest runs with him to the crate and talks baby gibber as if he's telling Eli the same thing. I love those kids and dog moments.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Love it! My hubby is also a trooper that goes to work everyday to support all of the madness in our home. He gets an excited croud every evening when coming through the door from work. lol
Yes my husband is the saint that goes to work and he gets mugged when he gets home too.

My kids are the same ages but in our house its Boy - 12
Boy - 7
Girl - 5

They all keep us busy. Secreto I love your pics. Kids and poodles such fun

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Thanks Trillium. It is so nice to see these photos again and it has been great to hear the stories of the girls with your kids. It is great too that you have taken them to the school everyday and they have become wonderful ambassadors for the breed.

I have personally never known a Standard Poodle who has not taken to children. My Moms old silver gentleman who has been living with us since my Mom passed away two years ago did not have a lot of exposure to young children before he came here, and he certainly been exposed since his arrival. At ten and a half years old he had my then four and a half year old Grandson climbing on him, locking himself in a crate with him, brushing him, anything you can imagine, Everett has put Thinker through. And Thinker adores him. We now have a one year old Grandson who Thinker has taken under his wing, and has decided he is every childs guardian. I donèt think you can go wrong wth the combination of a Standard Poodle and kids, particularly if you get the dog as a puppy from a breeder who socializes their pups.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 2 year old daughter loves climbing in the crate. Don't know what it is about her and crates because she never spent a day in a playpen.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My standard that I lost last spring loved children. He just loved my grandson's and would be so excited when they came. I have a large home day care and he went to circle time and would wait in line with them to go outside.

My new 4 month old standard seems to be the same way. She also loves the kids, sitting so straight so the kids will pet her. My grandson's go to puppy class with us and he will follow my 2 year old grandson's sit command. Of course, they're all loaded with food and treats!

As far as the crates go, there is some kind of fasination with the kids. I've caught a few over the years trying to get in! I don't think parent's would understand why their child was in a dog create!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have 4 children; Clover 23 months, Cate 11, Hannah 14, and Cam 19 who just started University so is now living away from home :(
There are also tons of kids here all the time because I do home daycare. ... so needless to say, our poodle is very much exposed to kids! I think they make a great combo!

I did do a ton of research on the topic before deciding on the standard poodle, and I'm happy I did. Rogan is calm and respectful (most times) and is very willing to please! I expect a lot from him and he responds very well to correction. I do think this is part of good breeding though, my breeder has donated dogs to the Seeing Eye Dog federation based on their calm temperments.

It's such a joy to watch kids and puppies growing up together!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My standard that I lost last spring loved children. He just loved my grandson's and would be so excited when they came. I have a large home day care and he went to circle time and would wait in line with them to go outside.

My new 4 month old standard seems to be the same way. She also loves the kids, sitting so straight so the kids will pet her. My grandson's go to puppy class with us and he will follow my 2 year old grandson's sit command. Of course, they're all loaded with food and treats!

As far as the crates go, there is some kind of fasination with the kids. I've caught a few over the years trying to get in! I don't think parent's would understand why their child was in a dog create!
oh wow!! another daycare provider! too cool! the dog crate comment made me laugh out loud! it's happened here on many occasions! lol
:thumb:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
While i myself dont have kids, i have alot of friends with young kids that we are around alot. Riley is Great with all the kids!! We have been around alot of tantrums, running kids, screaming kids, kids that are all over Riley, etc. He takes it all in great stride. I would have NO problem having kid in the future with him.

Heres a fun picture at one of my friends houses. Riley was over playing with Benson (the boxer), and her daughter was outside too. Riley was enjoying Ella pet her, and Benson wanted to play. So he comes rushing over and at the last minute decided he was going too fast and couldnt stop. So he just went over Riley.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My grown daughter and 3 year old granddaughter, Megan live with us. Rufus loves Megan and is very good natured with her. The only thing that I have to watch is when Megan gets over rowdy then Rufus gets too excited. Their play get too rough and I have to put a stop to it before someone gets hurt.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
thought I would add some pics of Rogan with my kiddo's :) I can't wait til he's bigger and I can get the pillow and blanket pics!! So fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
It is easy to see that Rogan is in the absolute perfect home for him. He is head over heals in love with Clover, that is for sure. What a great combo. Imagine how nice it is going to be for her- he will be around until she graduates from high school with a little luck. All of her memories growing up will include him. AWESOME!:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts