Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Charlie, age 3, 99.9 % Miniature poodle. A Rescue
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rescued 3 yr old miniature poodle Charlie turns into a statue and won't move on a leesh and treats don't work. I haven't tried paying him yet.....lol

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Charlie!

How long have you had him and what do you know of his background?

Did his prior owners take him for walks successfully that you know of? Could he have had an injury in the past while wearing a collar and leash?

Have you tried a harness instead of a collar?

If you have a secure yard to try this in, will he follow you around without a leash? How about in the home?

So much depends on his backstory.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Agree with Rose n Poos. Another thing... if you hook a leash to him (on harness preferably) and just leave it dangling without holding onto it, he is more likely to get used to the feel of it and start to see it as normal. Just let him hang out with a leash on around the house or yard.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
My guess is that he has been punished on a leash, for example using aversives, such as prong collar, or even a flat collar but with yanks/pops on his leash . Try training him without a leash at all. My spoo has been trained to behave awesomely off leash.

My guess is that he is super intelligent and wants you to understand his dog language. Try studying Ian Dunbar :)

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
If you try the trailing leash, whether on collar or harness, use a shorter one and make sure he's always in view. You want to be sure the leash doesn't get caught on something and potentially scare or injure him.

Each approach is valid and his response to them should help clue you in to how to help you both move forward :).

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Maybe he ended up in rescue because he did not want his owners/walkers to dominate or control him, and he had been hurt or frightened by their doing so. I suggest trying the opposite, totally gentle approach:) Learn to listen to your dog, and speak his language, which is so very different than what humans think.

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
Every adult poodle I brought home, once they were comfortable they started walking also only harnesses for them as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts