Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the case? I've been looking a few breeder sites, and was going to ask if there was a difference between the colors. All were gorgeous, but the black dogs seemed to have smoother grooms. Assuming, these dogs are from the same or similar bloodlines and groomed by the same person, I was wondering if different colors have different texture coats? Maybe the whites just show detail better, though. I was just browsing a groomer site and someone mentioned that whites/creams need ot be groomed more often b/c they matt more.

·
Registered
157 Posts
One reason I can think of is that whites and creams stain/show stains more easily then the darker colors, which could be cause for more grooming.

I have not heard that it is because they mat more then the other colors. Sounds a bit like a myth to me.

·
Registered
843 Posts
More frequent grooming is certainly needed with white poodles.
Every bit of dirt shows.
Gunther has a very thick,coarse coat and I use tons of conditioner on him as well as grooming sprays to soften it a bit.
I don't thnink he matts any more/less than my previous spoos...black and blue.
I would say that the blacks and whites have the most poodley coats...dense and coarse...at least judging by the different poodles I have met.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Well, when you take a picture of a black dog, you get a black dog looking shape, but when you take a picture of a lighter dog, you see all the details. The black poodles may look just as rough at the white ones, you just can tell in pictures.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well also just like people, I would imagine some poodles have curlier coats than others..
So it could be that that specific breeders lighter colors have curlier coats?

I would also guess that they get matted more because of how much owners fuss with their hair lol

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
We have both, a light cream spoo and a black spoo. I do not see any difference in how dirty or how often they need grooming, clipping, bathing, etc. They both get done at the same time. However, of course the light cream will show dirt more easily then the black. Our cream does seem to grow coat out a little sooner then our black, but I think it is in the breeding, not due to color. As far as matting goes, ours get groomed so often that they do not ever have any mats, sometimes a few small tangles if we've been camping or they have been playing real rough with each other or get wet and we have just let them dry naturally w/o blow drying them, but there again, they get brushed out almost every evening, while we are watching t.v.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well also just like people, I would imagine some poodles have curlier coats than others..
So it could be that that specific breeders lighter colors have curlier coats?

I would also guess that they get matted more because of how much owners fuss with their hair lol

Actually the opposite is true! Why would "fussing with their hair" (grooming) cause them to mat more?

·
Registered
315 Posts
What I mean is there are alot of people who get a white or a creame and then want to do all sorts of crazy hair dues with it and play with the hair too much, they buy dog safe gell and moose and dyes, and all sorts of other chemicals.

Dyeing frquently even with high grade dyes screws up human hair, why wouldnt it to dogs fur? Same with the other chemicals.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
It is common for whites and creams to have softer coats than blacks/blues. Although there are white/creams with good coats, it is common for show breeders to bemoan the fact that whites/creams matt more.

This would only be a problem for people wanting to grow long coats.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Out of my 6 poodles, everyone of them has a different coat texture and curl.
Sam - Coal Black spoo, medium course, wider curls, extremely soft on top knot and ears. Its very hard to keep the hair out of his eyes because it just flops over.
Elsa - Black spoo with salt 'n pepper, medium heavy course, tighter curl, noticeable on the ears more, excellent thickness for top knots 'n puffs. Does need a bit of gel to keep it standing when longer then 5 - 6 inches.
Lucy - Cream/Apricot (looks more cream to me) - The second coarsest hair I have felt on a poodle. (The first being a brown male that felt like a brillo pad, didn't like even hugging the dog because it felt like mens whiskers against my skin.) VERY thick, like a sheep if anyone has felt up a sheep before! I've even thought about collecting it and having it spun. Her mats can be bad but the same as the Blacks if not brushed regularly when in a longer coat but I use a mason pearson boars head bristle with nylon bristles which dematts rather quickly and with alot less pain to the dog. Pricey but worth it's weight in gold. Topknots and puffs need absolutely no gels or sprays to keep it standing.
Roxy - red mini - On the opposite end of the spectrum, the softest coat I have ever felt, Silky soft like fine baby yarn, Very,very tight curl, very fine, tends to mat faster then courser haired house mates. I tend to keep her shorter to avoid having to brush her more often which she absolutely hates being groomed. She is my little tom boy hunter. Better then any Spoo I've owned. Actually she has the typical male personality where anyone in the family is ok. All the other girls and Mickey are Momma's kids.
Mickey aka Buoy - red oversized toy - extra small mini, (he's right on the boarder of toy and mini) soft but not too soft and course but not to coarse, nice thickness, like to keep him in a longer coat then Roxy. He has the most beautiful thick and spiral hair for his top knot! I love keeping it big!
Bindi - Red Spoo - still in puppy coat but very soft.

I have noticed that reds are softer then most in all three sizes and not just my own poos. However, I had a toy black that was very soft and a toy brown that was just about right in coarseness and texture. I had a white mini with black tips on her ears that had a beautiful coat.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Desmond is a cream (maybe apricot, but he is lightening up and looks a lot more cream now) and he has never once had a mat. However, he doesn't have his adult coat yet, so that may have a lot to do with it. I brush him out once-twice a week, but he only ever has tangles after eating something like a pigs ear/cow hoof that he chews and spits on and then rubs on his front legs' fur.
His fur is also ridiculously soft, but again: that could just be the puppy fur. I get people constantly saying he is the softest dog they have ever felt, haha.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
How old is Desmond? He looks like a real sweetheart, reminds me a lot of our cream male spoo, "Rocky", who is definately a real love.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I think I asked this but forgot already, when you can you expect the adult coat to come in? And does the puppy coat "shed" in mass?
The adult coat usually starts coming in around 12 or so months and it takes many months to complete.
The puppy coat does not shed,you have to brush it out to avoid matts.
Or,as many people do,leave your pup in a sporty trim until the coat change is complete.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The adult coat usually starts coming in around 12 or so months and it takes many months to complete.
The puppy coat does not shed,you have to brush it out to avoid matts.
Or,as many people do,leave your pup in a sporty trim until the coat change is complete.
That is definitely THE easyiest, cut short and wait.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts