Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old standard poodle and I was feeding her science diet poodle large breed and it was breaking the bank..I switched to 4health large breed dog food and its maintaining her but I don't think her coat is a s healthy as it was..Can I please have suggestions on what feed you use and what your pros and cons are please...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Welcome to PF! Your girl is lovely! Looking at the ingredients of the '4Health Original Large Breed' vs the 'Science Diet Large Breed', the 4Health looks like a much better formula at a much better price point. If your dog is doing well on it why change? You say because of coat quality but that could be just maturity or the time of year (summer vs winter) so why not just add a coat supplement like a good fish oil or some other supplement for her coat?

My dog is little so I only need to buy 5lb bags of food because she is also 50% raw fed..
so cost for her kibble is not high but if she were a Spoo I would not be able to afford it... 'Nature's Logic' and 'Annamaet Original Option' are my recent choices. I am staying away from peas and legumes etc. because of the DCM concern, but I also believe there are still some good kibble out there!
I do notice a better coat quality in the cooler weather months.............(I'm in S. Calif)

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I feed by guy Victor all life stage/puppy. His breeder is now using 4health and I know of many others who also like this food. I was going to switch but the store isis a inconvenient location for me. As MollyMuMa said it could just be the time of year.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I home cook for my dogs. The main con is that it takes more time than opening a bag of kibble. Pros are that your dog will love it, and you are feeding healthy real food -- no recalls ever!

You can keep the cost down by using plenty of carbs (dogs don't need carbs, but they have evolved to digest them, and they are a cheap source of nutrition). Also use the cheaper sources of protein like beef or poultry hearts (if you can get them), canned wild salmon, and eggs. My dogs get a varied diet that includes (1) meat, fish or eggs, (2) carbs (potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, etc.) (3) veggies, (4) ground egg shells for calcium.

It is really very easy. Just make sure that you give them a variety of foods, not the same thing every day. The only supplement I use is ground egg shells or a commercial calcium supplement. If you don't include some fish now and then, you should probably supplement with fish oil. Here are a few articles:

Home prepared dog food
https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_7/features/Home-Prepared-Dog-Food-Nutritional-Information_20568-1.html

Carbohydrates and Your Dog's Digestive System
https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/13_10/features/Carbohydrates-and-Your-Dog_20103-1.html

Dogs evolved to love starch
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/01/23/170103080/in-order-to-live-with-people-canines-evolved-to-love-starchy-foods

Calcium
DogAware.com Articles: Crash Course on Calcium (Dog World Magazine)

Find a farmer who sells pasture-raised meat, eggs and/or dairy
EatWild

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
Welcome. I have used 4Health before but gave it up as it meant a 30 minute drive to get to Tractor Supply - funny now I take Asta there to train so I could have managed the trip before. I think, like others, that if your dog is doing well on 4Health that you might want to stay on it.

I know that you specifically asked about food, but you may find that using another shampoo or conditioner will help.
Others will chime in on what products are best for a white dog - Chris Christensen has some products that I believe are for white coats. His products are always recommended on the forum. One product I really like is his Day to Day conditioner (for any color dog) Using products like these can really help improve the coat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Merrick

I feed my standard poodles a mix of Merrick kibble and Merrick canned food. I recently switched from the grain free kibble to the ancient grains recipe. They have done well on that food since they were puppies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts