Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
5,107 Posts
Elroy's paws were flakey like that. He was biting them to, so they were probably itchy. They also smelled like fritos. My vet gave me an anti-itch solution to spray on them, but that seemed to make him bite it more. I figured he didn't like it, or it tasted good...either way, I stopped using it almost immediately and instead put socks on him to keep him from biting them (biting was leading to sores). Then my groomer commented on his flakey, smelly (fritos) feet and recommended Gold Bond Medicated Powder (maximum strength, blue container). I dusted his feet with it twice a week for a couple of weeks and they healed rather quickly. My groomer thought it was a yeast infection (so keep them dry).
Have you seen your vet?

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What happens if you wash the paw? Does the white area look any different after drying?

Is the affected area raised or just the pad itself?
It isn't raised. He doesn't seem to find it itchy. After being washed, the flakes caught in the surrounding hair are gone but the patch of skin is still flaky.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elroy's paws were flakey like that. He was biting them to, so they were probably itchy. They also smelled like fritos. My vet gave me an anti-itch solution to spray on them, but that seemed to make him bite it more. I figured he didn't like it, or it tasted good...either way, I stopped using it almost immediately and instead put socks on him to keep him from biting them (biting was leading to sores). Then my groomer commented on his flakey, smelly (fritos) feet and recommended Gold Bond Medicated Powder (maximum strength, blue container). I dusted his feet with it twice a week for a couple of weeks and they healed rather quickly. My groomer thought it was a yeast infection (so keep them dry).
Have you seen your vet?
I only found it yesterday while I was examining his paws for no reason. It's only a patch on one paw and the skin around it doesn't seem to be affected. I will take a look at that product. I haven't booked in for the vet yet but I will if it gets worse or doesn't go away.

· Registered
338 Posts
I found a small patch of skin on my mini poodle's paw, near the bottom paw pad, where a lot of white flakes are falling off. There is no dandruff in any other places. Any advice?

Thanks View attachment 500346

View attachment 500347

View attachment 500345
Hyperkeratosis it occurs due to a protein inside your dog called keratin. It sounds scary but it's common it can also affect the nose. If you Google [Hyperkeratosis dog paw nose] you should be able to find a ton of information on it. Snout and Paw Soother will help in preventing it. It may be worth mentioning to the vet though. Underlying medical conditions can cause it but I would venture to say it's genetic.
Font Bird Logo Brand Electric blue

· Registered
2 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts