Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0761.jpg

Here’s my boy as a baby baby and now at 14 weeks boy. His ears have actually gotten darker, Breeder says he will most definitely clear to white. Just wondering if anyone has an idea on why his color would darken before lightening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He seriously is the best! I’m secretly hoping it stays a little darker on the ears cuz I’m loving his coloring. So handsome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Omg! He’s so stunning!!!! Thank you, my boy looks like a small version of yours. So adorable!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Louie also darkened and was very dark but still cleared to completely white now. I think the darkening happens as the hair structure changes from baby coat to puppy coat and them much later to adult coat (which takes a while). Let me see if I can find some pics to attach. Louie is of course also a cream.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love the pics, and that totally makes sense. The white looks in your all’s pups like a softer white and not like a blue white, if that makes sense? So handsome!!!

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Love the pics, and that totally makes sense. The white looks in your all’s pups like a softer white and not like a blue white, if that makes sense? So handsome!!!

What you might be talking about when you say, "blue white" is probably what we refer to as "ice white." My Matisse is quite white, even was as a pup. But his ears gave him away...a little on the cream side as a puppy. It is because these dogs are genetically a cream. And they wind up being some shade of white but not ice white. If you see these genetically cream/white dogs side by side with an ice white, the difference can be rather dramatic. In this picture of my little champion, you can see the cream aspects of his hair but he looks pretty white. But if you had him side by side next to an ice white poodle, he'd look so different.

after (Mattie).jpg

COLOR BREEDING IN POODLES

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What you might be talking about when you say, "blue white" is probably what we refer to as "ice white." My Matisse is quite white, even was as a pup. But his ears gave him away...a little on the cream side as a puppy. It is because these dogs are genetically a cream. And they wind up being some shade of white but not ice white. If you see these genetically cream/white dogs side by side with an ice white, the difference can be rather dramatic. In this picture of my little champion, you can see the cream aspects of his hair but he looks pretty white. But if you had him side by side next to an ice white poodle, he'd look so different.

View attachment 453279

COLOR BREEDING IN POODLES

Thank you for the explanation, and pics I can totally see what you are saying. One of Neptune’s little mate was ice white like you described, the perfect whitest color with no cream at all, so crazy! Of course I just love our boys off white color! He got groomed recently and now you can see the cream fading more. He’s looking more and more handsome every day!

·
Registered
533 Posts
One sure sign is to look at the color growing on the inside of the ear ( you can see the change better there). The boy that I had that was turning cream you could see it way ahead of time by how white his ears were inside.

Here is my girl and while her ears are getting lighter than the red on the outside her ears are more yellow that is matching her body color so I think for now she will stay a very light yellowish apricot. At least for now.
EAC656D9-CC28-4886-A6E2-6D65DF50CBB8.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One sure sign is to look at the color growing on the inside of the ear ( you can see the change better there). The boy that I had that was turning cream you could see it way ahead of time by how white his ears were inside.

Here is my girl and while her ears are getting lighter than the red on the outside her ears are more yellow that is matching her body color so I think for now she will stay a very light yellowish apricot. At least for now.

View attachment 453467

I see what you are saying. I got a pic of his ears and they are super white but really dark on the inside of the ear. It’s interesting.

Based on the ear I’d guess he’s going to clear to a soft ivory/white.

·
Registered
533 Posts
With Sandy my older poodle the inside of the ears ( near ear drum) are still red but the hair on the inside of her ear leather is white. Ha I guess I should have typed that a little better.:aetsch:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My spoo also had apricot tinged ears. And they faded out.

He never became pure íce white, but cream. He looks white until he is in the snow and then it is so obvious he is cream. I love him to bits no matter what color!

There are never any guarantees though as to what color your dog will end up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts