Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meek is 2. He tripped while playing last weekend, whimpered And layed down to rest. I checked him thourouly and nothing seemed out of place or sore for him.

He was acting normal and active monday through wednesday.

Wednesday evening i took him for a run and we went slow and everything went well. I was sore after tho hahaha.

Thursday morning, on our regular walk, he barked at a girl waiting for the bus and that was pretty unusual.

Thursday afternoon he whimpered while my husband was playing with his so they stopped so he could rest again.

I got home and checked him out. He wouldnt do his stand trick. He whimpered when i inspected him the first time but then he stoped whimpering. I massaged him. He wont jump onto the couch and bed anymore. He just carefully climbs up. When he is laying down, he is hesitant to get up. He laid down all evening, curled up into a little ball. Which is a strange position for him. But no more whimpering.

This morning he seemed fine but i left for work.

It’s only been 12 hrs. If this continues tonight, i will take him to the vet.

I cant locate his pain at all. I have tried. I wish i could offer him some relief.

Do you have any experiences like this?

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
As it has been going on since the weekend I would get him to the vet sooner rather than later. If it is a minor pulled muscle the vets can prescribe pain relief; if it is anything more serious they can advise on rest and other measures. Ever since Sophy's back problem, with its worst case scenario of spinal damage and permanent paralysis, I have learned to be careful, particularly about avoiding jumping up/down and stairs and steps if she shows any signs of discomfort. I particularly watch for any hind leg unsteadiness, weaving or misplacement of the feet - your pup's problem is probably simply a pulled muscle and/or muscle spasm, but I would not take any chances!

For Sophy I have found the best first aid for a flare up is crate rest or the equivalent and a suitable dose of Metacam, followed by a visit to the osteopath ASAP.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I would not wait on the vet. I think you already have reasons to go and get him checked over. He is telling you something doesn't feel right.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
592 Posts
My poodle hurt himself a few months ago. Since he was not weighting a leg, it was clear what leg was hurt, but there was no way for me to isolate the location any more clearly. I could not tell if it was a paw, or which joint specifically.

It is hard to see your dog hurting, and not know what exactly hurts, and how much.

Use your best discretion on whether or not a vet visit is needed.

I'd suggest giving your poodle 5-7 days off from running and jumping, even if he appears to be back to normal.

·
Registered
592 Posts
no need for pain if something can stop it
You know what, not everybody agrees with my sentiment on this one, but I think sometimes pain is a good thing. It's a body's way of telling you to stop doing something, and take it easy, while it heals itself.

If me or my poodle feel no pain, we will jump and play. If me or my poodle feel pain, we are going to take it easy, and rest as much as possible.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I think I would put him on crate rest for a week provided he is not showing pain under "normal" walking conditions and not showing pain when massaged. Give his body time to heal itself. Sometimes pain is an indication that the body need rest or he was over doing it. However you have to use your discretion, if pain is shown in normal activity I would have him at the vet.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
You know what, not everybody agrees with my sentiment on this one, but I think sometimes pain is a good thing. It's a body's way of telling you to stop doing something, and take it easy, while it heals itself.

If me or my poodle feel no pain, we will jump and play. If me or my poodle feel pain, we are going to take it easy, and rest as much as possible.

To some degree I agree, but not if the pain is chronic or truly severe. It just isn't great to be kicking out all of the cortisol that acute severe pain would push out in a big bolus or that chronic pain would elicit over a long period of time.

Reactions: zooeysmom
1 - 9 of 9 Posts