Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow we're starting trying out the two new names I have picked. I can see myself calling him either one of them, so I guess the test will be to see which one I don't care to yell out into the yard mid-day in my PJs while ThePoodleFormerlyKnownAsPerry is enamored with the construction workers. (They all love the workers, and the workers I guess love them... numerous times we have had to chase them away from pieces of bread/doggie treats found in the yard. It is cute, but I would rather they not throw stuff over to my dogs. I digress...)

A is no help in picking names, because A isn't being open minded and is having a hard time calling Perry by anything else.

Anyway, let me know what you think... I can really see him as either of these! (My decision won't be based on this, I am just interested to see what others think :))

Names are
  • Miles - Latin - Soldier
  • Callum - Scottish - Dove

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Admittedly, I have a favorite of the two names, but I'm trying them both for trying's sake. I can honestly say that this is the short list. While I loved names like Hugo and Arlo, neither fit him or his personality. So this is great, I love hearing the opinions! I should probably note here, because I didn't before, neither of the name meanings have anything to do with me choosing them.

I really like the name Miles, but I don't think Callum would be great per say.
I'm interested to hear your thoughts about Callum :D

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Admittedly, I have a favorite of the two names, but I'm trying them both for trying's sake. I can honestly say that this is the short list. While I loved names like Hugo and Arlo, neither fit him or his personality. So this is great, I love hearing the opinions! I should probably note here, because I didn't before, neither of the name meanings have anything to do with me choosing them.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts about Callum :D
Lol, I just really do not like that name, I don't mean to offend anyone...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, I just really do not like that name, I don't mean to offend anyone...
I don't think anyone will be offended... even if someone has a son named that :)

For instance, for some reason I just despise the name Jason. ONE bad Jason in grade school ruined the name for me FOREVER. Nothing against the Jason's of the world at all, I have a friend named Jason... but man oh man, blame it on Jason R. in the second grade! Nasty little guy!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I don't think anyone will be offended... even if someone has a son named that :)

For instance, for some reason I just despise the name Jason. ONE bad Jason in grade school ruined the name for me FOREVER. Nothing against the Jason's of the world at all, I have a friend named Jason... but man oh man, blame it on Jason R. in the second grade! Nasty little guy!
Lol, I know what you mean.

I have the most evil step-mother (cliche? lol), called Karen
And all the other Karens that I have met haven't been the best, *shudder*
...same with Robyns, it's funny how the associations work, sorta the same with dogs!

Yeah, it's just something about Callum that I really don't like, and same with Jason too.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Mona is the name I don't like, all because of a snotty nosed red haired girl who was mean to me in the second grade.

Two syllable names work best for dogs (and cats), unless you have a one syllable name that ends in a hard consonant. Like (and these are not suggestions for TPFKAP, just examples of what I mean) Duke, Max, Fred, and so on.

I like pet names that have two syllables and end in a -y sound, like Mickey, Teddy, Gizzie, Murphy (actual names of my most recent pets).

But of the two you suggested, I think Miles is the better name for a dog. How about something like Seamus or Pauly or Danny?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I love both names, but I prefer Miles only because it is difficult to say something like "Callum come". I'd be afraid the dog wouldn't be able to distinguish between the 2 words. Much easier to distinguish "Miles come". But, that's just the way I think . . .I ponder all the possibilities of how the name would be used.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It is easier not to mistake Miles than Callum-although both are cute....supposedly the long vowel (as in Miles) makes it easier for the dog to learn his name-just use both for a few hours a day and see which you think he looks like more-lol...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why are you changing his name? Perry seems so Perry.
Perry really isn't a Perry. As it were, everyone else calls him Pierre. It is hard to put into words, but in person, he just isn't a Perry...

However, right now he is "poor baby" because he is coughing and I can't get him in to the vet until Saturday.

Today is Miles day... so we'll see how that goes! Oh, and as the "Callum come" thing goes... when we recall, we don't use come with him... you just have to say his name. He's afraid to be anywhere without me, so I think I could yell "baby gate" and he would come back. lol

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Olie came with the name pierre. We changed that quick so cliche.

Honestly I don't care for either of those names. SORRY.

But like you said when you look at him and he is not Perry then he needs a new name:) For us we know him as Perry in Pics with snow and new hair cuts so we are probably not as good of help as you might want.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm odd one out (as usual :)) I like Callum. But I LOVE scottish names, hence my little Angus ;)

Gentry came with his name. We were going to name him Alex, but he is SUCH a Gentry that I can't do it.

Good luck finding THE name!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am a little partial to the name Miles (all of my boys have human boy names :biggrin:) and I had a Miles quite some time ago. He was a VERY sweet Italian Greyhound that was a complete gentleman. He was very distinguished and the name fit him to a "t".

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Between the two, I like Miles better because....

Miles give the connotation that he has the energy and/or the heart to go on for miles and miles which fits him. I would likely end up calling him Smiles because he always has a happy face.

Callum doesn't sound right to me. I'm a big fan of The Lord of the Rings. Callum sounds like something Gollum would try to say when he was clearing his throat. LOL.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Between the two, I like Miles better because....

Miles give the connotation that he has the energy and/or the heart to go on for miles and miles which fits him. I would likely end up calling him Smiles because he always has a happy face.

Callum doesn't sound right to me. I'm a big fan of The Lord of the Rings. Callum sounds like something Gollum would try to say when he was clearing his throat. LOL.
BFF, your explanation was perfect! That is so him, for sure.

I really love the name Callum, we're trying that one out tomorrow. We did Miles today, and he loves it... because "Miles" now means "treats!!!!!" to him, lol! He is resting happily now in his crate, knock on wood, but he isn't having any coughing fits. (Vet tomorrow, poor baby.)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Awww...poor little guy. I hope he gets over his cough soon. Sending nose kisses for an easy vet visit.

It's kind of fun that both you and TPFKAP get to pick a new name together.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awww...poor little guy. I hope he gets over his cough soon. Sending nose kisses for an easy vet visit.

It's kind of fun that both you and TPFKAP get to pick a new name together.
I feel so guilty for not taking him in sooner, but it has worsened in the past two days or so... before he would cough a bit, but no fits or anything. However he is still acting his silly self, and was rolling all over me and grumbling earlier today. We're going to the old vet :)doh: ugh!) because I am still asking around about new vets.

Maybe I should just name him TPFKAP, lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts