1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I bought a 36" table thinking that would be big enough. It's not really, especially to allow a large standard poodle (60#, 26.25" tall) to lie down on. Mine is the Master Equipment from Pet Edge, moves easily between rooms without collapsing (I have better light for trimming in one room, but more space in another room, where I can blow dry and brush). In my dreams I would have a non-portable table that could be raised and lowered, but I don't have a good location in my home for a new piece of furniture!

·
Super Moderator
2,721 Posts
I have started grooming Galen on my coffee table. It's low enough he can hop up by himself, saving me the effort of lifting him. I sit on the couch or I pull up a stool while I work on him.

·
Registered
Luna
30 Posts
I agree, depending on how big your Spoo is you would probably be happier with 42 inch table. I'd also suggest a model that comes with a removable basket/shelf underneath. When I got mine a couple years ago I thought I'd only use the shelf at shows but turns out I use it all the time and would be dissapointed without it because it's just so useful for keeping my tools close at hand no matter where I set up.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't know why y'all want big tables! My table is 24x36 and if anything is a bit big for my standard poodle. It was purchased (and worked great) for my 28" 90 lb giant schnauzers. If the dog has any room to move around on the table, he will move away from the edge and then you are leaning over the table to reach the dog to groom him. The table is meant to keep the dog standing, sitting or lying still so that you can work on him. Leaning over the table (even a few inches) to reach the dog is really hard on your back.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I agree, depending on how big your Spoo is you would probably be happier with 42 inch table. I'd also suggest a model that comes with a removable basket/shelf underneath. When I got mine a couple years ago I thought I'd only use the shelf at shows but turns out I use it all the time and would be dissapointed without it because it's just so useful for keeping my tools close at hand no matter where I set up.
I recently replace the grooming table I made back in the 80s with one from Amazon. I thought I would just leave the basket off, but now I love having it because I put the clippers in it so they won't accidentally be knocked off the table. I'm considering making a couple of "pockets" for my shears that hang off the table. I always worry about dropping good shears on a concrete floor.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
One other thought: if you have a standard poodle, consider getting a "ladder" for the dog to climb up and down off the table. Picking up a big standard can give you a hernia (DAMHIKT).

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
My table looks like Starla’s with the removable shelf and like Luna, I use mine to store the dryer.

I did a lot of research before purchasing. I’m glad I found the advice to buy the size that just fits your dog. Otherwise as others mentioned you will be chasing your dog and getting in awkward positions to groom. I measured my dogs feet to see the minimum and added a few inches for her comfort and safety.

Instead of keeping my grooming tools on the table as I work, I bought a set of plastic drawers on wheels that sits next to my table. Everything I need is in drawers and the top is handy to place things as I groom. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q7STC69/ref=twister_B08T9C2QJF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
24 Posts
This one: https://www.amazon.com/Master-Equipment-Foldable-Portable-Grooming/dp/B001VP8726 (36”)

This one: GO PET CLUB Dog Grooming Table with Arm, 42-in - Chewy.com (36”)

Or something else entirely?

I specifically need a portable table, so it needs to be that magical combination of sturdy and lightweight.
I’m glad you asked this question, I’m looking for a table right now too.

I was looking at this one, but now I’m thinking I might want to get one with a basket.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I have this one. I got it because I wanted a bar across the whole table so I can attach from either side. It also lets me hang my grooming hammock. It is a heavy table but folds up and is very sturdy. The 36" feels big for Misha. But they also make a larger size as well. It does have a basket. For a smaller spoo it would be fine. For a big one you may want the larger size.

Screenshot_20210119-142201_Amazon Shopping.jpg

·
Registered
849 Posts
This might help you visualize the size going back to what @reraven123 said.

We have a 42" cage, but it's 28" across where Basil stands. I think Peggy and Basil's might have a similar athletic build. (Basil, 9mo old, 41-42 pounds, height = ???). You can see Basil only has 2-3 inches to the edge, which is plenty. She's comfortable standing there. I'll link a video below on table manners from a poodle groomer I love, he gives a lot of good nuggets that at-homers can apply.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I actually own the Go Pet Club table (30 inch version) and it is most definitely not lightweight or easy to put up--I've given myself several bruises fighting it (although some of those are deserved--always wear shoes when operating equipment you can drop, folks). It is, however, sturdy, and once I get it up it stays up. The hook... Head holder arm thing... Leash position holder... I can't for the life of me remember what it's called right now... Is kind of meh, though. Wobbly. I don't really use it, so that's fine for me, but I'd keep that in mind if you need it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was just thinking about using the coffee table table too. I did buy a grooming arm to clamp to the end of the table. Thank you, I haven't tried the coffee table but I'm excited to know it works.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have a flying pig table that comes with a shelf underneath and a grooming arm. I really like the grooming arm because it folds backwards (away from the dog/table) so you can get it out of the way for some things. The arm also has several places to clip the lead both from above and straight in front of the dog so the dog can be standing and hooked from above and in front. They can't spin around this way. Navy is small enough and the grooming arm long enough that the sling I have works (but probably would not work for Violet, but I don't use it with her). I agree that having a smallish table in proportion to your dog is helpful to reduce moving around. I'm currently training Violet to lay in a dog bed on the grooming table while I do her top knot.

I started grooming with just a folding card table with an inexpensive grooming arm attached and bath mat, and wasn't sure the upgrade to a grooming table would be worth it. It's so worth it. It's the right height. Having an upgraded grooming arm that is longer with multiple places I can connect the lead is super helpful. Having the nonslip surface glued in place seems to give the dogs confidence.

Here's my prediction: within 2 months you will want to have that grooming table set up ALL the time. It makes it so easy to just pop them up there for a few minutes. I definitely get more grooming done since it is so convenient and easy on my back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have this one. I got it because I wanted a bar across the whole table so I can attach from either side. It also lets me hang my grooming hammock. It is a heavy table but folds up and is very sturdy. The 36" feels big for Misha. But they also make a larger size as well. It does have a basket. For a smaller spoo it would be fine. For a big one you may want the larger size.

View attachment 473013
That table looks nice. What brand is it? I don’t see it in the screen shot.

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's my prediction: within 2 months you will want to have that grooming table set up ALL the time. It makes it so easy to just pop them up there for a few minutes. I definitely get more grooming done since it is so convenient and easy on my back.
I think you’re right. But since I don’t have anywhere inside that I can set it up permanently, my worry is that I’ll start putting off grooming because setting up is such a pain in the rear.

I wonder if I should just do a garage set-up.... Won’t be the most pleasant, but at least it would always be ready to go when the mood strikes.

The other option would be to get a piece of furniture that looks okay in our main living area and can also double as a grooming table.

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This might help you visualize the size going back to what @reraven123 said.

We have a 42" cage, but it's 28" across where Basil stands. I think Peggy and Basil's might have a similar athletic build. (Basil, 9mo old, 41-42 pounds, height = ???). You can see Basil only has 2-3 inches to the edge, which is plenty. She's comfortable standing there. I'll link a video below on table manners from a poodle groomer I love, he gives a lot of good nuggets that at-homers can apply.

View attachment 473012

View attachment 473014

That visual is super helpful. Thank you! And it’s got me wondering if I could just put a board on top of Peggy’s crate and use that instead with a clamp-on grooming arm.... Her 48” crate takes up so much room. Would be great if it did double duty.

Are you worried about it supporting Basil’s weight?

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One other thought: if you have a standard poodle, consider getting a "ladder" for the dog to climb up and down off the table. Picking up a big standard can give you a hernia (DAMHIKT).
OUCH, @Johanna!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts