Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the post about the black/blue puppy got me thinking. Which shades do you think are hardest to identify correctly in puppies?

I always think of light red/apricot as the hardest color to figure out. some of them lighten, and some of them darken. Some light reds are the same intensity as a dark apricot, but a different shade. To me, that's a hard color to pin down, and they change so much as they grow. My light red girl looked a lot like my neighbor's apricot at 10 weeks. Now, not at all. She's so much darker and more cinnamon-y.

That, or the sable-types. I'm shocked at the difference a couple of months makes, from dark to light.

How about you? Which colors of poodles surprise you most?

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
What surprises me the most are the variations of parti’s, phantoms, tuxedos and mismarks that can be so striking on a poodle.

·
Premium Member
6,264 Posts
My cafe girl Beatrice was hard to figure out especially since she had faux phantom patterns, you would never guess she et would have cleared as light as she had

·
Super Moderator
3,008 Posts
These two websites are fantastic to read and study, which I've used as handbooks since last December.

This first link is to a site by Dr. Sheila Schmutz, whom I think is retired now. She developed some of the genetic tests on color used today. Her site is rich with information and comparison photos:

Dog Coat Color Genetics: Genetics of Coat Color and Type in Dogs - Dr. Schmutz

This second site (with a similar name) is recommended as a resource by one of the OFA approved labs docs I emailed with questions back then. They like Jess's site b/c it's written in layman terms. It also has photos, and she creates the wonderful illustrative art and sells via her FB; she'll do the artwork of individual dogs (your own) on commission.

Dog Coat Colour Genetics - Jess Chappell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts