Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using the Wahl Bravura 5 in 1 to groom Cleo (a 9-month-old standard). I like that it's cordless, quiet, lightweight, and has a long battery life. But the blades have to be replaced frequently. I've used (at shortest trim) the 3/8" comb for the body, and that worked pretty well (though sometimes it gets caught and pulls off when i'm doing the longer parts of the legs).
I'm interested in maybe adding a 7f and 5f, to get a nicer finish. And, I'd like something different for the feet to help me get between the toes more easily. For the latter, i looked at the mini bravura, but it's a 30 blade and right now i use a 10 on her feet. I think i'd go for a 15 before a 30. She sometimes has sensitive feet.

Do i need to get a new clipper and some individual f-blades in order to make these things happen? The only "fine" blade i see for the Bravura is another 5 in 1 with the same 9, 10, 15, 30 and 40 settings--or do i use that fine 5 in 1 blade with the usual metal combs in order to accomplish a fine finish?

And for the feet, am i better off with a mini bravura or similar, or should i get a new clipper that allows a toe-blade attachment--which i'm guessing won't work on the Bravura because i haven't seen it offered?

Finally, i have a diamond 5-in-1, but i'm not sure what to use it for vs the regular coarse 5-in-1?

All advice/info welcome!

·
Premium Member
22,404 Posts
I have a Bravura and only use the black diamond blade since it stays nice and cool. I hope you do know that you can get those blades shrapened and repaired. You should have a couple of them so that you can send one or two out to be sharpened and still have a good clean sharp one. You will not be able to put a fixed blade on a Bravura to the best of my knowledge. I also have a brav mini which I use for feet. I have yet to find a blade person who will sharpen those so I view them as disposable, but since they get limited use they last a long time.

To do a serious take down of long coat I use an Andis for which I have 3, 5 and 7f blades.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Catherine! I do have extra blades, and I have a couple I saved that are too dull now. I should probably stop being lazy about it and send them out to be sharpened! I have not used the diamond blade yet--i was "saving" it, for what special occasion I don't know. I will try it next go-round. I haven't been letting her get very long these days, other than lower legs and topknot, so maybe i don't need F blades? i just thought they were supposed to give a nice even finish. Sounds like it makes sense to go for the mini for feet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Are you using metal or plastic combs with the bravura? I use the metal ones and I can't imagine them coming off while trimming. As long as the fur is well brushed out. I personally really love the mini for feet. I also use the diamond blade all the time.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Raindrops, i only use the metal combs. I blow her out with a dryer and brush beforehand so she shouldn't be tangled, and i use spray on conditioner. Even so, her hair is very thick, and last time the blade pulled right off twice on her leg hair--the comb stays attached but the blade comes off the clippers--sorry if i was unclear. Maybe it's not sharp enough. The diamond blade will probably do a lot better.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I have the Bravura and the same stainless combs. The Purple comb is comparable in length to a 5 blade on a different clipper. It leaves 1/4" of hair. This is what I use on Poppy's body for summer. The tan comb is 1/2" length and that is what I use on her body and legs in the winter months. It leaves 1/2" of hair. I did have trouble with the blade coming off, it got caught and jammed up in the hair during coat change months, when she was changing from Puppy to adult coat. I had to use my old Oster A 5 clipper with individual fixed blades, not any comb attachments. It would plow through the hair, never getting stuck. Once coat change was over then I went back to the Bravura because it is so light weight and I like the adjustable blade. If you are going through coat change, typically from 7 months to 16 months, this migh be part of the issue. Also, make sure that you brush and use a comb to the skin before clipping. I have found, with Poppy's thick adult coat that I clip over her body and legs 2-3 times. I start going "with the grain" of her coat then brush everything in the opposite direction and clip again in that direction. For example, I clip down the legs, the brush the hair up so it stands out from her legs and I clip up the leg. I do it in a similar fashion on the body as well. I have very few "stickie outies" to scissor following that method. It does leave a very finished appearance using this approach. Took me a while to figure this all out. Also, if you do not yet have an hv dryer I strongly suggest getting one as it straightens and separates the hair as you dry it making it easier for the clippers to go through. I have the inexpensive Shelandy dryer from Amazon and it works great! Have fun!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Raindrops, i only use the metal combs. I blow her out with a dryer and brush beforehand so she shouldn't be tangled, and i use spray on conditioner. Even so, her hair is very thick, and last time the blade pulled right off twice on her leg hair--the comb stays attached but the blade comes off the clippers--sorry if i was unclear. Maybe it's not sharp enough. The diamond blade will probably do a lot better.
Oh that makes more sense! I have had that happen once. Yeah maybe the thick hair is enough to cause it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Viking Queen, Thank you for explaining your process--maybe that's what i need to try: trim and then brush back and then trim again. The outcome i get now isn't bad, but i'm not getting that velvety sort of look that i'd like. That's why i thought i might need the "fine" 5 in 1 blade; i assume i'm using the coarse 5 in 1--is that what you use? or maybe the diamond blade will make the difference. I think you must be right, that the blade is catching because we are definitely in coat change now--she's almost 10 months and i cut some incredible mats off of her ears that i hadn't even noticed -- i thought i was being so thorough.
I have the shelandy dryer, too! I still find that it takes a LONG time to dry...less though now that i have her cut short. I used the 3/8" comb for her body (except lower legs) last time, and that helps. I can't remember which color comb that is...

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I don't think the fine or coarse 5 in one blade matters much when you are using the combs. Not sure which one comes with the clippers. I just use the one which came with the clippers and I have an identical one as a spare. I do set the blade on the 30 setting when using the combs. I also am meticulous about cleaning and oiling the blades. It makes all the difference in how well they work. Hair builds up in the small openings, like a small tunnel, between the sliding parts of the blade. I use a pipe cleaner to run through those places and clean the hair out, then I blow every part of the clipper and blade with my hv dryer and Follow up with blade wash and a few drops of oil.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips! Great idea about blowing the clipper with the dryer, I hadn't thought of that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts