Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a short trim on spoos body - not legs? 5, 7f? I have read up on which is what including ceramic, titanium and so on but I have seen some prefer one to another.

I want a nice smooth, cleaned up look like the crushed velvet look:). It seems to me when using the 3/8 comb attachement the hair looks.......IDK like a cotton look. I want to go a bit shorter (then the comb attachments allow) and get that shinny look:)

Any suggestions would be great!! I do also have the Kalstone book but I want receommendations from my forum friends please.

Also you can add what blades you use on your spoos most....lol.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting you say that because it looks completely different on Suri (Silver) then Olie (Apricot) using the same blade and comb attachment.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The only way to achieve the velvet look with a snap on comb is by having the coat immaculately prepped. This goes for scissored dogs as well but if not, you will get that cottony look....not so nice! :eek:hwell:

So wash 2-3 times, use some conditioner and coat spray to give bounce and volume. I like the Plush Puppy Blow Dry Cream. I straighten as much as I possibly can, and areas like elbows tend to kink the most. Do your very best. When you are done, comb, slicker and then feel for any damp spots and blow dry some more. (When you "think" you are done blowing, continue 5 more minutes) Now you can use just about any length snap on comb and if you want a long finish WITHOUT the comb, use a #3 blade, never a skip-tooth. True professional poodle trims are NEVER the same length all over. The rumps are much closer, the center of the belly---imagine the tuck-up, then move foreward to the true center of the dog.....that's slightly shorter, and the shoulder muscle MIGHT be shorter to make the topknot or crest seem higher. When you are done, lightly mist with coat polish and the sunlite will reflect the curls and waves beatuifully!

·
Registered
681 Posts
The groomer used a 5F on Captain this week. He really looks like crushed velvet. He is black. I keep telling my husband how much I like this look compared to a longer body trim :lol: He feels like crushed velvet too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would use a 7F but would really prefer (for sk.in cancer reasons) to use a 5F. If the client insisted, then I'd go 7, but I'd exlain the higher risk if the dog is outside a lot.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Come summer I think I'm going to take Vegas' body down to a #5, and if that looks too long still I'll take him down to a #7 and blend his legs in really well. I'm going to start at the base of the neck though, since I want a HUGE MOFO TOPKNOT OF DOOM! .. *cough*

So probably a #7 on dark coats.. for that crushed velvetly look. x)

·
Registered
875 Posts
For a short trim on spoos body - not legs? 5, 7f? I have read up on which is what including ceramic, titanium and so on but I have seen some prefer one to another.

I want a nice smooth, cleaned up look like the crushed velvet look:). It seems to me when using the 3/8 comb attachement the hair looks.......IDK like a cotton look. I want to go a bit shorter (then the comb attachments allow) and get that shinny look:)

Any suggestions would be great!! I do also have the Kalstone book but I want receommendations from my forum friends please.

Also you can add what blades you use on your spoos most....lol.
to get the crushed velvet look I like to use a 4 blade but I prefer my guys who arent in coat to be super short, and so I use a 7 most of the time, but Gotti gets a 10 all over :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have a white/ light cream and the shortest ive ever gone on his body is a 5f....anything shorter and i think he would look like a skinned dog lol. I agree with the 7f on a darker dog but just try the 5f first then if it looks different then go with the 7f to get the look you want.
I also love the skinny and sleek look of a nicely shaven Spoo especially in the summer months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts