Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can raw knuckle bones be purchased at grocery stores (Kroger, Publix, etc)? I don't have any butchers near me, so I don't know where to get them from.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes, I think Kroger's is like Smith's Market? Here we have Smiths and they have them. I get my best prices at Albertson's. If you don't see anything out as them if they have any beef shin bones in the back and have them cut it up for you. I get 6 pieces out of one... but I have standards. If you have mini's you can go a bit smaller in size.

Also, see if you can find some lamb shanks. They are great!!!

Karen

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'm not sure if Krogers sells them like that, I don't see what it would hurt to ask the butcher there though.

I'm lucky enough to have a Health Food store in my town that gets game and free range meats in and thats where I buy my chicken leg quarters for my spoo but since I read that article I posted in another thread I might start buying knuckles too now

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
lol you won't look stupid
if they think its stupid they're obviously not very nice to their dogs >.<

the lady that I get our chicken from loves it that I feed it to my dog XD
she wants me to bring Elphie in next time ((because we buy it in bulk like every 3 months and just thaw it for them))

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Is feeding a raw piece of chicken going to give stomach upset? I'm just curious if I should hand over a leg bone with chicken on it or go for the knuckle bones.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I think each dog is different
we feed them their kibble in the morning then ((on the days we give them the chicken quarter)) we give them the chicken in the evening our lab/poo mix and spoo have no problems
but our shih tzu vomits after eating it so he stays inside and gets a bowl of Bil'Jac ((I dunno if its good for him but he loves it none the less its his little special treat))

so my suggestion is let them try it and see where it goes from there but maybe someone who feeds raw all the time might be able to give much better advice then me XD

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Call ahead! Don't waste your gas driving around, the meat departments are normally happy to give you prices and what's in stock. I've never even glanced at the meat sections before getting Vegas, lol. All the meat I've bought has gone to him, not me, rofl.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think that as long as a store's meat department has a "live person" working behind the counter they must have bones LOL, since they do cut the meat and pack it at the store. They do it "behind" so people would not get grossed out with all kind of sites LOL.

Many gourmet cooks buy beef bones to make the beef broth from the scratch ( I make chicken broth myself also) and so nobody should feel "stupid" to ask for them LMAO !!!! Actually, the butcher might think you are "Martha Stewart" type LOL

·
Registered
708 Posts
Do you have a beef house nearby? You may could get it cheaper from there. Also, put an ad on cragislist and you will be surprised the deals you can get.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
They are not out that often but all of the large chains around here do sell them. I buy all they have usually and store in the freezer.

Also look at walmart. They have chicken quarters for about .68 lb. Thats CHEAP knawing there. We use as meals too:)

·
Registered
448 Posts
They are not out that often but all of the large chains around here do sell them. I buy all they have usually and store in the freezer.

Also look at walmart. They have chicken quarters for about .68 lb. Thats CHEAP knawing there. We use as meals too:)
Olie (and others!) ... be careful about those large packages of frozen chicken parts... just make sure they are not those 'flash coated' type which are high in sodium.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Good point - they came highly receommended for the prey model diet. There is 16% sodium in the quarters and right aound 1 lb each (which is a perfect serving for the spoos) What do you think?

Serving Size 112 g
Servings Per Container 29
Amount Per Serving (+)
Calories 200
Calories from Fat 130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15g 23% (-)
Saturated Fat 4g 21% (-)
Trans Fat
Cholesterol 75mg 26% (-)
Sodium 380mg 16% (-)
Potassium (-) (-)
Total Carbohydrate 0g 0 (-)
Dietary Fiber (-) (-)
Sugars (-) (-)
Protein 16g (-) (-)
Vitamin A 2% (-)
Vitamin C 4% (-)
Calcium (-) (-)
Iron 6% (-)
(-) Information is currently not available for this nutrient.

(+) 4 Oz

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depeding on your calorie needs:**

** Percent Daily Values listed below are intended for adults and children over 4 years of age. Foods represented or purported to be for use by infants, children less than 4 years of age, pregnant women, or lactating women shall use the RDI's that are specified for the intended group provided by the FDA.

Calories: 2,000 2,500
Total Fat Less than 65g 80g
Sat. Fat Less than 20g 25g
Cholesterol Less than 300mg 300mg
Sodium Less than 2400mg 2400mg
Potassium 3500mg 3500mg
Total Carbohydrate 300mg 375mg
Dietary Fiber 25mg 30mg

Calories per gram:

Fat 9·Carbohydrate 4·Protein

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked around all the stores today. Nobody has knuckles or necks. One place did have 1 1/2 in pieces of beef marrow bones for a good price. Would those be safe for a miniature poodle? I think I would be worried about her cracking teeth on those.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would not give those small marrow bone pieces. Your dog could try and swallow them, break teeth on them, or get it caught around their bottom jaw (ive seen it happen).

I Rarely give Riley knucle/large marrow bones as he eats a raw diet everyday. I did recently get him one though, and i got it from a local feed store. They had a frozen case of them. The other place i would get them from is a local butcher. I wont buy those brown smoked bones though. Nasty!

If i go on vacation with my dog i either feed him raw (i will go to a store and buy meat when i get there so i dont have to pack and take it), or i feed him kibble if its an overnight or two. He has no problem with this. I wouldnt want to feed him kibble for more then a couple days in a row though. I would probably get some dehydrated raw or something to travel if i couldnt get fresh.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I would not give those small marrow bone pieces. Your dog could try and swallow them, break teeth on them, or get it caught around their bottom jaw (ive seen it happen).
Yep I just read this very thing yesterday - so I am staying away from these. I am noticing that when we give the RAW knuckle bones we pull them up after a while because mine would be there for hours knawing on them. Suri has gotten sick off the store bought knucke bones I guess they are smoked?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
For the smoked ones they are usually sitting out in a basket and they are brown/black looking. I only give Riley the fresh, raw, frozen ones that are in the freezer. I cant find raw knucle bones here that arnt smoked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts