Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I wish people also posted how many times their dogs poo in a day! I’m curious and also wondering if my girl is abnormal going once every 20-30 hours.
Peggy poops once or twice a day. It's taken some getting used to, as she doesn't always go before bed and I would worry about accidents.

Past dogs often went three times or more, especially with increased exercise or excitement. Peggy's stomach doesn't seem to work that way, at least not yet.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My past poodle Asher seemed to go 1-3 times in a 16 hour period. I didn’t track it vigilantly in a notebook like I do with Lacey. He would have off and on issues with getting constipated on his beneful kibble diet but usually a couple of wet meals from a can would help get things moving and softer. Can’t remember what kind of canned food. Generally his poops were smaller in size and often type 2.

I feel like I’ve read that it’s normal for dogs to go 1-3 times per day so when Lacey gets beyond 24 hours I start biting my nails a little. I’ll have to ask the vet when I take her to get some retained baby teeth out in a couple weeks. I was wondering if it was a diet related. Or maybe related to possible discomfort from her retained canines.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Emma eats free choice, Taste of The Wild venison mix. I know, I know. Have a 15 year old, 12 and 5 of there different breeds and no problems with any of them, ever. She's usually a 3/4 depending on what else she adds to her diet other than dog food. Any snacks cause loser stools. She does eat poop, nor hers or the other dogs but occasionally a cat lump, always horse and pretty often cow. All that does is give her really stinky farts and more that unusual. She does eat a few bites of horse pellets that get spilled when I feed and carries a mouthful of hay around when I'm filling hay sacks, tires to help stuff the bags. A for how many times a day..... first thing in the morning, within 30 min. after eating, and twice during her runs alongside the feed buggy twice a day, maybe once or twice during the day depending how much we do outside or just hang out in the house during the day. We're pretty rustic around here, she spends lots of time outside on her own or with the other dogs hanging with the cows and horses or harassing the barn cats sho I'm sure I'm not seeing every land mine but since I pick only pick up what's in the yard proper I'm sure missing some. Oh the things we do for entertainment, counting poop piles! She's been very healthy from the get go and not fat in the least but then she's still growing at 7 1/2 months. I've raised all my dogs the last 35 years on free choice feeding and they've all stayed trim but they've all been very active outside.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dog always had issues with this til we discovered she was allergic to chicken/poultry. Now on limited ingredient natural balance lamb and rice, all perfect.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Type 1 2 3 5 hybrid 3 times a day typically. Nothing forced and can take longer to pick the right spot than it does to make it happen which I some times find entertaining while on occasion it pisses me off. FROM food and poodle gets a lot of exercise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Let's talk about poop! :poop:

Where does your poodle usually fall on the chart and what do you feed them (Raw/canned/kibble)? I'm having a hard time getting great poops from Jessie, I'd like to see a type 3, but she's usually more like type 2 but with no straining. A lot of times what comes out like a type 2 turns into a type 1 when I pick it up. She's eating canned food with a little water mixed in because she's not a great drinker, and I know she's not dehydrated. I can get her to a type 3/4 feeding Science Diet Sensitive canned, but the volume of poo she makes on that food is ridiculously high even though the fiber content is lower than the food I'm feeding her now.

I know too much fat in food for a dog can make the poo greasy, but hers is moist but not slimy. How does the amount of protein typically impact stool, anyone know? Wondering if I should try her on different food in search of the perfect poo. She likes her food now, eats it predictably and has no upset stomach problems...

View attachment 465154
3-4 on Gentle Giants kibble (beef) and canned (also beef) with bits of chicken breast or ground round. He drinks nearly 1/2 gal water daily

·
Registered
10 Posts

Where does your poodle usually fall on the chart and what do you feed them (Raw/canned/kibble)? I'm having a hard time getting great poops from Jessie, I'd like to see a type 3, but she's usually more like type 2 but with no straining. A lot of times what comes out like a type 2 turns into a type 1 when I pick it up. She's eating canned food with a little water mixed in because she's not a great drinker, and I know she's not dehydrated. I can get her to a type 3/4 feeding Science Diet Sensitive canned, but the volume of poo she makes on that food is ridiculously high even though the fiber content is lower than the food I'm feeding her now.

I know too much fat in food for a dog can make the poo greasy, but hers is moist but not slimy. How does the amount of protein typically impact stool, anyone know? Wondering if I should try her on different food in search of the perfect poo. She likes her food now, eats it predictably and has no upset stomach problems...

View attachment 465154
Cooper is a 3 with an occasional 4.
purina pro plan sport all life stages

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
After looking at this chart I did not even bother to read the posts.

My dog eats raw, human grade meat and bone, plus organic raw organs, and fruits, especially berries. and has quite small firm poops.

Most of the poops I see laying around at the at the dog park are large fat mushy ones. I don't even see either one of those on the chart.

Odd, I am now wondering why I am even seeing large fat poops laying around? Does this mean people feeding cheap kibble don't bother to pick up dog poops? Hope I am wrong here. It just occurred to me.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Misha gets fed twice a day and also usually poops twice a day. He's a bit annoying as he seems to try to hold it until I take him for a walk rather than going in the yard. And he always seems to not be able to tell the difference between poop and pee so he'll try lifting his leg on a tree then start pooping on it instead. Bit awkward if people notice... but not much I can do about it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Misha gets fed twice a day and also usually poops twice a day. He's a bit annoying as he seems to try to hold it until I take him for a walk rather than going in the yard. And he always seems to not be able to tell the difference between poop and pee so he'll try lifting his leg on a tree then start pooping on it instead. Bit awkward if people notice... but not much I can do about it.
Sisko does the exact same thing?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
And he always seems to not be able to tell the difference between poop and pee so he'll try lifting his leg on a tree then start pooping on it instead.
ROTFL!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:? I would love to see that. Jessie also hates pooping in our yard, she holds it for walks too.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'm guessing Jessie is just absorbing/using much of what she eats. I added a little bit of pumpkin (1/2tsp) to a couple of meals, and the poos went straight to #4. So I'm just going to leave things be unless she has problems. Until we decide to try to convert her to kibble again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My older Schnauzer always does his big business of the mowed grass be it my yard or anywhere we are traveling making necessary stops awkward. Now my girls, Emma my SPoo could care less..... wherever the urge strikes works no matter how hard I've tried to convince and train them otherwise. What a group.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Type 3 consistent
Noodle eats differently everyday.
She mainly eats squash, sweet potatoes, raw meaty bones, yogurt, bone broth, and this week it has been baked organic chicken thighs with tumeric,1 tsp apple cider vinegar and a GNC multi.

I know the food has something to do with it but digestive tract health involves a lot of things besides food.
For instance- the chemicals in your household, her gut flora, the stuff outside. Dogs have particular taste buds for water- many many more than we do.
Some dogs have better stool from different water, some need to have fountains (the toilet bowl drinkers are actually after the freshest water they can find!).
Also change the soap you wash her bowls with- we have consumer product chemicals that degrease and soften hands and they are tested for safety on humans,
some of those may not agree with your dog who has antibiotic saliva and sweats through his/her tongue, unlike us.

I had another poodle who unless she ate canned pumpkin and rice, consistently scored type 6- she was on same diet as Noodle, vet diagnosed her in ideal health,
so we added canned pumpkin and rice, problem solved.

Heartworm and flea preventatives are pesticides and they can cause havoc to a sensitive digestive tract so getting their gut health in fighting form is vital.
Try not to use multi-purpose heartworm preventative (adding more pesticides), just treat the heartworm and if you get a fecal swab every vet visit they can
treat additional parasites if they arise.
If you use dryer sheets, switch to wool balls, if you clean with chemicals, try to swap out to vinegar where-ever you can.

If you stick with canned or kibble try a tsp of organic greek yogurt for the probiotics, and add a little tumeric or 1 tsp cider vinegar to her diet to reduce inflammation.
Raw meaty bones will also assist in cleaning teeth, firming up stool, and keeping anal glands clear.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts

View attachment 465154
You mentioned that you feed your dog canned food. Is there a reason for not feeding her dry kibble? You also mentioned that “she is not great drinker”. Is there a reason? My standard has ongoing #3; she is almost 10 yrs. old. We adopted her at 11mos. from previous owner, who got her from breeder at 4 mos. and re-homed her in 7 mos. They brought Sasha in a home with mature miniature and 4 mos. puppy had to compete for food, water, attention. We found out many other problems, among which, not drinking when we’re away ( she isn’t sure when she’ll go out), but the moment we’re back, she drinks quite a bit. Due to having to compete for food, she gobbled up her food, regurgitated, then ate again. We also found out that she is allergic to chicken & by-products; then came allergy to salmon ( too fatty). We switched her to Taste of the Wild, Roasted lamb & brown rice, grain-free kibble, broke down daily ration into 3 feedings + fat free Greek yougurt in the evening. She had few times episodes of anxiety induced colitis. So, rather than putting her on anti-anxiety meds., we use VetriScience-Science, Composure Pro chews and it helps. Feeding:
AM- 1 cup dry kibble with 1tbs. of canned pumpkin + little warm, boiled water, 1/2 Composure Pro chewy.
MD-day:
1/2 cup dry kibble + warm water, Pet Guard multi vitamin ( chewable)+ 2 Wag More ( Peanut Butter & Apple, grain free) snacks, broken into pieces.
Dinner:
1 cup dry kibble+ 2 tbsps. Home cooked mix ( see below) warm water & 1 capsules of probiotic.
Eve- 2 tbsps 0% fat Greek yougurt + few pieces of bread.

Home cooked mix: veggies cooked in boiled, slightly salted water ( 1 sweet potato, store cut up butternut squash, 1-2 zucchini squash, canned, no salt added, cut green beans, strained from the canned liquid).
Once veggies cooked soft, add a little brown rice or quinoa to ensure that mixture has its own broth, but not watery. Cooked veggies & pumpkin are good source of fiber and she loves the food moistened with veggie broth or water.

She does have morning episodes of loud stomach noises, which scare her & she refuses to eat. Home cooked remedy- Few tbsps. of quick cooking rolled oats, mixed with dry curd (we use Russian style by Lifeway) cottage cheese. She needs to be spoon fed until stomach noise stops, then she finishes oats/cot. cheese, and eats her AM food.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Is there a reason for not feeding her dry kibble?
Jessie came to me at 18 months old from a home that fed her lots of "people" food and home cooked meals. Unlike many on this forum, I want my pets to be on commercially available food. Canned is what she will eat reliably. I've tried transitioning Jessie to kibble 3 times so far. She's quite picky- most kibble she won't accept as "treats" fed one piece at a time by hand. Once I find a kibble she will reliably take as a treat, I try to slowly transition her to it over the course of 2 weeks. Usually by the time the kibble starts being greater by volume than the canned food, she starts hesitating to eat meals. I stay firm. By the time it's 100% kibble, she'll start skipping meals and then hunger puking begins. Then it's a struggle to get her to eat again because she doesn't feel well. The problem is if she ever gets diarrhea and I have to go back to chicken/rice or canned food, the struggle to get her back on kibble starts all over again.

You also mentioned that “she is not great drinker”. Is there a reason?
This is just when eating canned food- I'm guessing it hydrates her enough by itself. She drinks more when it's hot outside or in those rare instances where she's eating kibble. Her former owner said her dogs never drank enough and she used to pour water in their mouths from a bottle when it was hot outside.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts