Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's talk about poop! :poop:

Where does your poodle usually fall on the chart and what do you feed them (Raw/canned/kibble)? I'm having a hard time getting great poops from Jessie, I'd like to see a type 3, but she's usually more like type 2 but with no straining. A lot of times what comes out like a type 2 turns into a type 1 when I pick it up. She's eating canned food with a little water mixed in because she's not a great drinker, and I know she's not dehydrated. I can get her to a type 3/4 feeding Science Diet Sensitive canned, but the volume of poo she makes on that food is ridiculously high even though the fiber content is lower than the food I'm feeding her now.

I know too much fat in food for a dog can make the poo greasy, but hers is moist but not slimy. How does the amount of protein typically impact stool, anyone know? Wondering if I should try her on different food in search of the perfect poo. She likes her food now, eats it predictably and has no upset stomach problems...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Type 3 mostly but sometimes a 4 when super active and drinking tons of water.
AM: Biljac frozen food. (Soft pellet food)

PM: Dry Kibble, Splash of chicken broth (eats more kibble with this), and homemade dogfood (chicken, rice,green beans. I switch between green beans and sweet potato).

Lately I tried this new dog food by Freshpet that’s got dried cranberry with tons of chicken too. It’s a softer pellets as well. The dogs love it a lot and I use this every once in a while to keep them interested. Poops are still level 3.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Type 3 and I feed a home made diet because my dog has food allergies/intolerances. I also use 2 of FreshPet products as training treats in addition to home cooked chicken breast, low fat hamburger meat and turkey breast.

·
Registered
554 Posts
We mainly get type 3 but I feed raw so not unusual to sometimes see anywhere from type 1 to 5 because meals aren't always the same in content. I try to minimize the looser stools. I would rather type 2 than the looser ones. Never had any constipation.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
2-3

Dry kibble or with a splash of water.

Nutro Ultra puppy, currently transitioning to Farmina N&D Ancestral Grains Puppy, plus tons of training treats (chicken, cheese, Charlee Bears, etc.).

Peggy has never had diarrhea.

Edit: We've been using Glandex powder for the past 6 weeks or so to bulk up her poops and help express her anal glands. But it seems to just put her poops more in the "2" category. We've had no luck increasing the volume.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mostly 3 but it can be anywhere between a 1 and a 5 because she eats homecooked and does not always have the same ingredients. No issues with constipation though.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Mostly a 3, but sometimes a 2. I feed Sisko Nutro Essentials, and he gets different types of freeze-dried treats. We have beef and chicken right now.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Type 3 very consistently
I call them tootsie rolls. If they ever look different, I know something's not right. They're either sickie-poo or ate something way off the menu.

Until we switched to Purina Pro Plan the stool was more compact in size. Now on PPP it's a bit bigger. Frequency is also pretty consistent regardless of brand.

The menu
Dry kibble with enough water to make a bit of "gravy" and a small amount of our protein leftovers every meal. I also usually add about 1/2 tsp rice to each of their 2 daily meals.

The kibble has changed from Blue Buffalo Puppy to Blue Buffalo Small Breed and Merrick Small Breed, then to Natures Variety Instinct Small Breed and their Raw Boost Small Breed. I was feeding both chicken and beef varieties. Remo finally said No to any beef kibble. He's fine with beef, just not as kibble. We've switched to Purina Pro Plan Small Breed Savor. It's a big hit with both boys.

Treats are Merrick Lil Plates, several varieties, Three Dog Bakery cookies for special treats, and, dare I say it, Alpo Variety Snaps. The cookies and snaps are broken into pieces so it's not a full cookie or snap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm wondering about stool eating. I have a new pup, 4 months old, kind of a rescue, will turn to eat his stool as soon as it hits the ground. I think he was Crated and isolated too excess. Any suggestions? I remove it as soon as possible but he is getting wise to what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You're probably right as to why. Especially when in close quarters, the mom's will eat the stool to help keep the area clean and some pups follow suit.

My two girls did this and we never really broke them of it, but I didn't have PF as a resource then either :).

There are additives you can try. They mix in with the food and will possibly make the stool less palatable. Offhand I can't think of any brand names to suggest.

I've also heard that since some foods are more fully digested than others, the stool may still taste good to them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just about all pups eat poop, usually they outgrow it if you are diligent about cleaning up. I would not use the additives, from what I hear they are really not good for the dog. Just keep cleaning up immediately and don't give him the opportunity.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm wondering about stool eating. I have a new pup, 4 months old, kind of a rescue, will turn to eat his stool as soon as it hits the ground. I think he was Crated and isolated too excess. Any suggestions? I remove it as soon as possible but he is getting wise to what I'm doing.
I have heard of people muzzling when they let their dogs out for a few months to prevent this and "get them out of the habit". Not sure if it would work, or if he's reliably going at set times outdoors enough to make this practical.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wish people also posted how many times their dogs poo in a day! I’m curious and also wondering if my girl is abnormal going once every 20-30 hours. The consistency is usually a 4 and is decently sized.

i feed her Fromm gold puppy kibble, often topped with 15-20 calories worth of cottage cheese twice a day.

She gets zukes mini training treats cut into smaller pieces and a once daily Pure vita glucosamine chondroitin treat based on her weight.

For about 4 days in a row I recently gave her a Purina dentalife chew, and it constipated her so I stopped them.

As far as protein, I don’t think it has much affect on the poop, unless you’re drastically altering something else in the diet in order to consume high amounts of protein. Not that that’s what you’re thinking of doing! If more protein is consumed than what the body can use, it is eliminated through the kidneys. I’m not 100% sure if that’s how dogs bodies process it, but that’s how humans do.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I wish people also posted how many times their dogs poo in a day! I’m curious and also wondering if my girl is abnormal going once every 20-30 hours. The consistency is usually a 4 and is decently sized.

i feed her Fromm gold puppy kibble, often topped with 15-20 calories worth of cottage cheese twice a day.

She gets zukes mini training treats cut into smaller pieces and a once daily Pure vita glucosamine chondroitin treat based on her weight.

For about 4 days in a row I recently gave her a Purina dentalife chew, and it constipated her so I stopped them.

As far as protein, I don’t think it has much affect on the poop, unless you’re drastically altering something else in the diet in order to consume high amounts of protein. Not that that’s what you’re thinking of doing! If more protein is consumed than what the body can use, it is eliminated through the kidneys. I’m not 100% sure if that’s how dogs bodies process it, but that’s how humans do.
I'll edit my post?. Hmmm? that does seem odd that your girl only poops once every 20-30 hours

·
Registered
733 Posts

Okay, didn't know that there is a limit for editing post within a week. Sisko poops 2 times a day.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts