Poodle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Winnie started off in a crate in my bedroom, then we moved the crate to the bedroom next to my room. A couple of months ago we took the crate away and left her cushion in the room where the crate was but she decided she doesn't want to sleep upstairs and went to sleep on her cushion on the sofa downstairs so now she stays downstairs all night and when she hears us getting up in the morning will come up to see us.

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
How do the dogs handle it when you guys shut them out of the bedroom for intimate bedroom activities?
They get used to it, first few times a dog may whine or scratch at the door. Not a problem.

You might find you don’t have to lock a dog out…. The dog may prefer to go to a dog bed on the floor or to a family couch etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
She is in a crate downstairs. A couple of times I have let her upstairs to sleep, but she is restless. I think she feels she is on duty. Creeping around, barking at 4 am, etc. Downstairs she just sleeps.

·
Registered
Thomas the Old Man, Ethel May, Jeffrey Steven
383 Posts
Thomas sleeps on my pillow and snores in my ear all night. Ethel sprawls out next to me. Jeffrey starts off in bed but migrates to the floor next to where I'm sleeping.

As for intimate times...everyone goes downstairs and I have a gate set up in front of the stairs. They entertain themselves.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Normie sleeps in his crate in the living area. Otherwise, we'd hear little poodle feet going up and down the hall all night long. And neither of us can afford to fall over a sleeping dog.

btw, he puts himself to bed in the crate on nights he's really tired.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Mine sleeps in the living room on the main floor with a gate at the bottom of the stairs. If the gate was open she'd come up and probably sleep on our floor, or in the hallway or in my kid's room since she likes to be close and when we are traveling we find she sleeps on the floor by our bed if she has a choice. We keep her downstairs because of allergies, sock theft, and the risk of tripping over a black dog and falling during the night. She used to be in the crate in the living room at night, but we started to let her choose where to sleep sometime before she turned one. She will sometimes bark out the window during the day, but at night she quickly learned to shut up after we came down and immediately crated her for nighttime barking. She values her freedom at night to the point where I can count on one hand the number of times she's made any noise at night, other than if she is having digestive problems and is communicating with us for help. She shifts between the couch and the floor. I think she especially likes to be able to regulate her temperature using the different surfaces.

·
Administrator
14,134 Posts
I am on the verge of giving in but I don't want him to be crying and scratching the door whenever I have him leave the room for intimate bedroom activities.
This will only be an issue if it gets him what he wants. Wait for a split second of quiet and then open the door and lavish him with attention. Practise this every chance you get in order to reinforce the behaviour you want: Wonderful things happen to quiet dogs! Scratchy, whiny dogs are simply ignored.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Benni has always slept in our family room downstairs. He started off in a small crate for the potty training period while either me or my husband slept downstairs with him. As he grew, the crate became bigger. His crate has a memory foam dog bed in it covered with cozy blankets in case of a spit up. It gets covered to make it more den like. He loves his crate and exactly at 10:00 pm goes into it to let us know he's ready for bed. We sleep upstairs with a baby monitor set up just in case he makes a sound....but he never has. He goes into his crate willingly when we need to leave him alone for a couple of hours. I am not ready to let him roam the house freely just yet if someone is not home with him. He's 10 months old and I know he's safer in his crate rather than him getting into something that he should not have.

·
Registered
Archie and Kacey
52 Posts
Can't help you with the intimacy question...single woman here! :D

Years ago I ran across an interesting research project about dogs and where they sleep. The conclusion was that the best-behaved dogs slept in their person/people's bedroom. It's 8 of the easiest hours you can give your dog(s) and when I let mine sleep in the bedroom it was almost magical how much better-behaved they were. They sleep crated until they're 100% house trained, then they sleep wherever they want. My current two prefer their own beds to mine, so we all get a good night's sleep.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Scribble sleeps in a crate in our room. Blueberry either is crated in our room or sleeps in my son’s bed or on the floor in my daughter’s room. His choice is beds all the time but he reluctantly does what we ask.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Annie sleeps on my bed, unless it's hot or I am tossing and turning, then she switches to the floor.

Previous dogs have liked to sleep in the hall outside of people's rooms, or on a bed in the corner, if not allowed on human beds. No big deal, if you're consistent they figure out the rules.

When Annie was young, she liked to get me up in the night, and asked to go out. she always peed, so I complied. One night I was so tired I fell asleep with her on my bed. She slept until 6ish, I got up, took her out, then put her in her crate. The next night, she slept in my bed again and didn't get up until I did! She has slept on my bed ever since. Not sure who trained who there.

I wonder if you could do something similar - let him sleep on a dog bed in your room, and if he wakes you, let him out for a quick pee then put him in his pen. I suspect he'd learn within a night or two to sleep through the night!

·
Registered
381 Posts
As a pup, Wally was crated at night for his first two years. He has always spent quiet time in it by choice. Sometimes he'll sleep in it next to my bed. Other times he will get in his dog bed, and sometimes my bed. Often time he will sleep in all three places before the night is over.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sophie sleeps in my bed. She starts teh night in a crate and, inevitably, she will start banging on the crate. I need my sleep so, inevitably, I will let her out. Then, she sleeps right next to me. I would like her to stay in the crate due to her small size.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gigi has always (she is 2 years 2 months old) slept in her crate covered with a black cover on top and 2 sides. The crate is about 3 feet from where I sleep on our bed. Gigi always wants to go "Bedie By". She goes there every night after her outside potty time. Our other poodle (crossed over the rainbow bridge about 16 months) ago had always slept on top of the covers on our bed.
When traveling, we have a travel crate which "folds up" and Gigi sleeps in that --either hotel room, RV or boat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
They sleep in crates in our bedroom. 14 years and 5 months. The little one's breeder suggested that the crates face each other, and that has worked all along. Our first poodle slept in our bed. When she got older, she became afraid of lightening and would walk on our heads. Then she started to pee in the bed. She was the first and last of the ones we've had to sleep with us.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts