Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering where everyone's poodle sleeps at night.

Mines had a problem sleeping and constantly barks after being woken up by little noises since he doesn't like being alone, he sleeps in play pen in the living room and we are considering changing this set up.

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
8,493 Posts
Mine sleep with me, there were crate until they were a year old but that crate was right next to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
For the first couple of weeks we had a crate and x pen set up near the couch closest to our back door. My husband and I traded off sleeping on the couch and running the puppy outside when he woke up needing to potty. I started sleeping in bed again when they got big enough to make their way to the outside door without leaking. I had a crate or an x pen set up in the bedroom or else in the living room positioned so they could see the bedroom door.

Once they were housebroken and could be trusted not to harass the cat in the middle of the night I let them sleep wherever they want. Usually Ritter starts out on the floor next to me. Later in the night he might move to the hallway outside the bedroom. Galen normally sleeps on the bed curled up against my husband or else on the bedroom floor. Sometimes when he gets down Ritter will hop up to take his place. Occasionally one or the other will curl up in the armchair next to the bed.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Early in toilet training I slept in the family room close to a door to potty outside. Puppy Theo slept in a crate inside his pen at night, I did all the early morning potty but my husband helped with the daytime.

Once Theo could sleep through the night we moved upstairs where I had an identical crate and pen set up in the bedroom. Frankly I didn’t need the pen upstairs. He slept in the crate. At 6 months he got up in the middle of the night due to helicopters flying over our house which was a loud weird odd noise in the middle of the night. I moved him into the bed. He did go back to sleeping in his crate for a few nights after that, but then decided he preferred the bed where my other minipoo sleeps. we were traveling and during our travels he was going to sleep in the bed so it made sense to just have him adjusted before our trip. If we weren’t traveling it would have been easy to continue with him sleeping in his crate. We have a gate on the bedroom door so he couldn’t wander all over the house at night.

Reactions: ShamrockPoodle

·
Registered
522 Posts
After the first few nights in the laundry room with me on a cot, Beau slept under the bed. He had a few nights where there was something he needed to bark at and we moved his playpen next to the bed and he quieted down. He feels very secure in his playpen. In this case though he can see out the window which triggered some of the barking.

On his 1 year old birthday he moved to up on the bed where he has enjoyed his nights since.

I definitely would not want him in the other room while we slept, I think he finds security being close to us. Maybe having Jamie closer to you will help with the barking. Try having the Play pen next to the bed?

·
Registered
Luna 2/15/22 Standard Poodle | Drake 12/5/09 APBT / AmStaff mix
22 Posts
We have a strict, no dogs on the second floor unless they are getting a bath rule. :ROFLMAO: I love dogs. But I barely like sharing my bed with my husband! LOL The first two weeks I slept with her in our sunroom. But she didn't even really need me there. She has made it through the night since day one. I did get her at 14.5 weeks and the breeder had already started crate training and they exclusively peed on pads. So transitioning to grass was pretty easy. Last night was the first night "alone". She sleeps in her crate with a cover at night. My other dog will start off with her, but he eventually leaves and goes where he wants. When she get older and trained we will allow her to free roam like our other dog does.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i live in an apartment & Kirby sleeps in his crate in my living room. i'd change things up but i'm a light sleeper and when he was sleeping in my room he'd throw little 3 am digging ragers in his crate and i'd wake up, making us both miserable. eventually i'd like him to sleep in a dog bed or open the crate door and let him sleep gated in the living room.

·
Registered
250 Posts
From day 1 Kukla has slept in a crate that's right next to my bed. His first night home I slept on the floor with my head by the crate door, but after that initial night he was okay with me being in my bed.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
3,947 Posts
Elroy mostly sleeps downstairs in the living room on the floor at the foot of the stairs (it happens to be by the front door as well). I sleep in my bedroom upstairs. About 30% of the time he'll come upstairs and sleep on the floor in the spare bedroom or on the floor at the top of the stairs (just outside my bedroom). On rare occasions he'll sleep on the floor next to my bed.
Added bonus...He doesn't get up until I do.

·
Registered
8,480 Posts
I have allergies so no dogs in my bedroom. They both sleep in the living room; they share the same bed and often cuddle. They like their bed routine, where I tuck them in every night. They go outside, then when they come back in, Merlin usually follows me around while I do the check routine and Beckie runs into her bed and sits, waiting for me to come say good night.

·
Registered
Tyler
338 Posts
Ty slept perfectly in his crate for the first month he was here (he was 4 months when I got him). I transitioned him out of the crate and onto my bed after that because schlepping the crate from my bedroom to the living room was doing a number on my back. He transitioned with nary a wobble so I can attest, once again, that my Poodle Boy is good in bed. 😉

·
Registered
Alfie the mini poodle 💕
66 Posts
Started with the crate/play pen when he was little to maybe six months or so, but these days he likes to sleep on his second bed positioned right outside my bedroom door. Almost like a little guard. Most of the times he only gets up when my alarm goes off and jumps on the bed to lick me awake to let him out…

Sometimes if it’s cold (or something) he’ll go on my bed at night but he usually moves back to his usual spot pretty quick after.

·
Premium Member
6,996 Posts
I prefer having my poodles in the bedroom with us. If they're not well or there's weather watches and warnings, or other emergencies, I want to know exactly where they are whether they're puppies, adults, or seniors.

My husband wasn't keen initially about sharing a bed so we have condo's in the bedroom for each. Our schedules ore offset by about 3 hours so after he gets up in the morning they're free to choose the bed or go with him. They pick him when he's just hanging out and pick the bed when he's otherwise engaged.

They've graduated to choosing whether to sleep on the bed or in their condo from when they go up to bed. Remo seems to have nightmares so he snugs with me. Neo likes his condo so he stays in it until about an hour before my husband gets up, then joins the rest of us on the bed. I keep a down throw on my side and it cracks my husband up to see a little nose and maybe a paw peeking out from under :).

(That would be Remo lol)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So many with dogs on bed...I am very tempted to give in.

Okay, I have an awkward question to ask. How do the dogs handle it when you guys shut them out of the bedroom for intimate bedroom activities? I hope it isn't against the rules to ask about this kind of thing.

I am on the verge of giving in but I don't want him to be crying and scratching the door whenever I have him leave the room for intimate bedroom activities.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts